Search results

1. R

How to Acclimate

Thanks - I aerated the 4L heavily before adding H202, and cut the H202 dip down to 20 mins today out of precaution. Fish seemed to tolerate the H202 dip well and are cruising around the QT tank at present. Aside: I made sure, when doing the H202 dip, to use saltwater with no copper power as I...
  2. R

How to Acclimate

Hey @Humblefish ... Just wanted to confirm that Seachem Prime is generally ok to use with copper power for emergency cases in which ammonia spikes in a QT tank... or even during acclimation of new fish shipped over many hours when the QT water has 1 ppm copper power to begin? My plan for new...
  3. R

Hybrid TTM to treat all parasites!

H2O2 dips at 75-150 ppm safe for snails? What about corals? I’ve read reports that LPS corals generally tolerate well (as a means of killing unwanted algae) but SPS are more sensitive. I’m inclined to believe snails won’t tolerate a peroxide dip.
  4. R

Tight QT Timeline + Proposed Plan... Reasonable?

I Nice - I've got some DMSO somewhere in the lab :Thumbs_up_green:. Loving the green thumbs-up :)
  5. R

Hey Jessica - love this sentiment. I'll use API GC in the water column instead of Prazipro and Metro separately. I am cognizant that API GC seems to be poorly water soluble. I'll use a little vodka and manual grind the powder in a fish net and hopefully that is sufficient.
  6. R

7 QT tanks? That's got to be a record! Good on you though. It seems the QT game is expanding... and in the long run, I'm not sure that is the best trend for the hobbyist to juggle. Hopefully more and more fish stores develop standardized systems for dealing with pests.
  7. R

I was hoping the tank transfers, copper (albeit short duration), and H202 dips would greatly minimize the risk... but I value your experience. Therefore, I will proceed differently: Fish QT in the same tank for at least 30 days (I'll find a fish babysitter). FYI... definitely not medicating the...
  8. R

Hey there, I've got ~15 days to QT some new livestock (i.e., Melanurus wrasse, 2 Watchmen Gobies, Tigor Pistol Shrimp, Royal Gramma, Purple Firefish, and a Lawnmower Blenny) before leaving on a short vacation. Not ideal at all, but the first good deal I've seen on fish in Canada in ages that...
  9. R

Rock Flower Anemones in QT with Nematodes (?)

Way better video of the specimen Definitely looks like a planarian with the ocelli. These! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhabdocoela
  10. R

Thanks @Humblefish. Do you know if they are flatworms or roundworms? Or what they are called - lay name even? Many thanks & please let me know how I can support your support for this hobby. Do you have a business? Donation box?! :p
  11. R

Hi there, I have a coral QT tank with a handful of rock flower anemone's (RFA) in it. They are on a flat rock in the tank. I identified some 1/4 inch white worms on the glass this morning. See picture attached and video below. They do not have a noticeable coelom and have round anterior and...
  12. R

How To Quarantine

Ahhhh... science is beautiful! Thanks @Humblefish I might start adding an H202 dip from QT to DT to further mitigate any free swimmer risks... and I'm always going to use an intermediary container for the QT to DT transfers.
  13. R

How To Quarantine

Just analyzing the below and pondering the scientific nuances for my biology classes... If one was to QT a fish in copper at therapeutic levels for only 14 days, and then transfer the fish to a bucket with a net change before entering the DT, is the primary risk the transfer of...
  14. R

Itchy wrasses after 4 weeks of QT...

I've made a peculiar observation... my yellow wrasse flashes on PVC piping excessively when I turn on the microbubbler in the QT tank, clearly agitated by all the small bubbles on it. 🤪 I'm still cognizant of skin parasites, however. The plot thickens...
  15. R

Thx - will do a FW dip and keep you in the loop. More emails 😉. Out of curiosity... do you FW dip all new fish and/or do H202 dips these days as a gold standard?
  16. R

Thanks - much appreciated. The treatment calendar recommends 6-8 days. I may have missed the optimal window to treat Neobenedenia sp. To what extent might bacteria in the water column in a QT tank be of at play (my water is mildly cloudy) - and could this cause the traditional side scratching...
  17. R

Hey friends, I have a flasher, yellow and green wrasse in a 10-gallon QT tank. HOB filter, air stone, and small powerhead with PVC for hiding. Ammonia-alert badge, biomedia balls for surface area for nitrifying bacteria (I seeded the tank with instant ocean biospira and microbacter 7(, etc...
  18. R

How To Quarantine

Thanks @Humblefish and @Dierks Going to apply this knowledge moving forward... possibly with an H2O2 dip up front :)
  19. R

How To Quarantine

Haha, thanks mate! This is concise and super helpful. The only lingering sliver is mixing copper and praziquantel concurrently for reef sensitive fish... I'll digest all this and formalize something :)