130.4 waterbox just got salty

mggray87

Hey everyone, howdy humble.

I've posted this elsewhere but I thought it was important to post here since the most important and critical part is gonna start for me. Livestock and qt. No better site to go through Qt than here with professional assistance and guidance.

Here is my journey. And where I am now. Need to order fish as tank has a raw shrimp in it for 2 days now trying to kickstart the slow 6 week cycle.
20190715_222334.jpg
20190716_181949.jpg
20190724_122757.jpg
IMG_3046.jpg
IMG_3043.jpg
IMG_3041.jpg
IMG_3049.jpg
IMG_3050.jpg

mggray87

I just placed a order for two more tunze 6095s for the back middle. To be on the sides of the center overflow. More towards the top pumping towards front of the glass to help agitate top of water and also help create random flow and more of it to help future proof not having enough. So 2 on each side/back pointing mid ish tank about 8 inches down and the new ones back wall facing straight out.

Now for next step. I have my 20g long tank upstairs. I got biospira ready to seed. All meds I ordered with your help on hand.

This is my thought for livestock over 3 qt sessions. I hope nobody kills anyone. I wanted only 1 kole tang but the other half is begging for a yellow tang. I know it can get deadly but I'm praying.

First Round QT.

ORA Capt bred black snowflake ocellaris
ORA capt bred fancy Ocellaris
Purple Dottyback
Firefish, Purple
Lawnmower Blenny
Capt bred Kauderns Cardinalfish
Royal Gramma Basslet

Second Round QT
Carpenters Flasher Wrasse
hooded fairy wrasse
bluehead Fairy wrasse

Final QT round
Yellow eye kole tang
Yellow tang.

She also wants one cleaner shrimp and one fire shrimp. Do those get qt?

mggray87

How long does that take. Like after the first batch of 7 fish. But they cant be in any tank that has been used in copper right? Inonly have 1 qt

mggray87

I dont have room for a invert qt. I got lucky to put a 20g fish qt in my house.. guess I'll have to invest in already qt cleaner and fire shrimp. *wink wink* haha

mggray87

Ya I understand. Jiat trying to go slow and let it do its thing naturally. take its toll. Plus I gotta find the first batch of fish. And qt for 30 days so I'm in no rush to get it done.

mggray87

i have meds and saltwater mixed to 1.025 right now for my QT... when should i fill my 20g and dose with bio spira before actually receiving the fish? say im receiving fish on monday or tuesday. at what point should i have QT running and biospira actually in tank?? i dont want to not be ready for delivery

mggray87

im a rookie as stated before.. planning on receiving fish monday or tuesday

I have on hand ready to fill
20g long
Aquaclear HOB with just sponge
heater
Powerhead
ammonia badge
bio spira

Meds purchased and have in my hand

Copper Power
Fish Bendazole by thomas labs
API - general Cure
Spectrogram
Kanaplex by seachem
and garlic gaurd by seachem.

from your article.

i plan on floating for 30 min. getting fish from 2 locations. i might have to make my salinty in between the 2 deliveries if they arent the same.
have the water at 77-77.5* with 1ppm in water at start when fish get put in. in 48 hours or slightly more, Raise copper to 1.75ppm and hold for 30 days. also it says during this use metronidazole which i dont have??? oops.

mggray87

Got qt running. But that koralia pump sucks I got 425 but it's barely moving surface. Think I should upgrade it.
15645927141636493015375220793597.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
i have meds and saltwater mixed to 1.025 right now for my QT... when should i fill my 20g and dose with bio spira before actually receiving the fish? say im receiving fish on monday or tuesday. at what point should i have QT running and biospira actually in tank?? i dont want to not be ready for delivery
I would dose Bio-Spira about a week before adding fish.

i plan on floating for 30 min. getting fish from 2 locations. i might have to make my salinty in between the 2 deliveries if they arent the same.
have the water at 77-77.5* with 1ppm in water at start when fish get put in. in 48 hours or slightly more, Raise copper to 1.75ppm and hold for 30 days. also it says during this use metronidazole which i dont have??? oops.
Copper only treats Ich & velvet. I would dose Metroplex at least once to address the possibility of brook & uronema. API General Cure contains both prazi + metro, and that would be good for treating brook, uronema and flukes.

mggray87

I ordered a koralia 525 to add in the 20 with the weak 425 to add to surface agitation so I dont have a oxygen issue

mggray87

I see the ripples. And I felt it. Its running fine. Just weak. I'll just add 2 to make sure the water is moving enough for meds. Or use the 525 and take out the 425 if ita not good to have both.

How to test salinity of fish when delivered. I heard opening bag will Male ammonia toxic. I gotta measure then deplete the salt if it has to be and at the same time. Make it 1ppm copper. So I guess have rodi water with 1 rpm copper already to go to top off to deolete salt??

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
How to test salinity of fish when delivered. I heard opening bag will Male ammonia toxic. I gotta measure then deplete the salt if it has to be and at the same time. Make it 1ppm copper. So I guess have rodi water with 1 rpm copper already to go to top off to deolete salt??
You can poke a small hole in the bag, take a water sample using a pipette and then close the hole using a piece of tape.

I would also reach out to the vendor to ask what salinity they ship in, but double check whatever they tell you. ;)

mggray87

thanks humble.. again sorry my first time and for some reason im more nervous on QT than i am to try SPS. i actually emailed them today at cultivated reef to ask for the salinity level roughly so i can have it around that. but 3 fish are coming from Live aquaria CA. so ill have to meet in middle somewhere with them. i put the bio spira today...QT is 78* right now this saturday ill work on getting salt level down to atleast cultivated reef's estimate then add copper to 1ppm. then draw a line on tank to make sure i keep it at that level and stay on top of evap to keep it at 1ppm. ill aslo have a 5g bucket pre mixed with salt and 1ppm for emergency water changes.. atleast thats the plan..
20190804_193834.jpg

Last edited: