A. Akallopisos

Users who are viewing this thread

ichthyogeek

Country flag
Congratulations! I think you can rush order rotifers and microalgae from Reed Mariculture, and then baby brine shrimp are easier to find as well.

ichthyogeek

Country flag
I have baby brine. I can use them instead of rotifers?
Rotifers are better. Thomas Roewer used BBS, but I think he also had much larger fry, and much smaller bbs. Your best bet for survival will be rotifers (well, really, copepods, but those're hard to culture).

Eholceker

Country flag
50% of the eggs hatched last night. Was able to get around 40 fry. This morning only about 10 are alive. Hoping I didn't do anything wrong.

Eholceker

Country flag
The rest of the eggs hatched and got every last one. Not sure why but a lot of the fry died. Any ideas? Here is a video

andrewkw

Country flag
The rest of the eggs hatched and got every last one. Not sure why but a lot of the fry died. Any ideas? Here is a video

The flow looks really strong, I start the airline at a very light rate. Also the sand is REALLY going to be a hindrance in the fry tank. You won't see any dead ones on it to remove, cleaning it will be impossible ect.

Eholceker

Country flag
The flow looks really strong, I start the airline at a very light rate. Also the sand is REALLY going to be a hindrance in the fry tank. You won't see any dead ones on it to remove, cleaning it will be impossible ect.

I ended up losing all the fry.

andrewkw

Country flag
You will have another chance soon.

Empty out the tank. Remove the sand. Start with water from the parents tank. Tint the water much greener, it looks too clear but can be hard to tell on video. The light may also be too bright you can just put something over the existing light to diffuse it. Reduce the bubble rate so it's not so strong.

Eholceker

Country flag
Got eggs again. What's the best way to get phytoplankton. Honestly don't want to go broke having to keep buying online but don't want to culture either, haha.

ichthyogeek

Country flag
Got eggs again. What's the best way to get phytoplankton. Honestly don't want to go broke having to keep buying online but don't want to culture either, haha.
Well I mean, those are the only two options you have really. You either make your own product, or you buy the product from somebody else. The only other thing I can think of is you buy the algae paste, but that doesn't really stay well except the Nannochloropsis and you still need to balance that with Isochrysis at the very least which needs to be alive or a super expensive paste...

andrewkw

Country flag
I only have experience with Nannochloropsis but it's so cheap to culture and easy. If not for the fact I use every drop I produce I could probably sell a few bottles for $10 each even out here in the middle of nowhere and that would pay for many months of F2 / Instant ocean.

Eholceker

Country flag
Eggs hatched tonight and transferred the fry into a new 10 gallon tank. Temp matched and used 7 gallons of the tank water they came from. It's been 20 minutes and half the fry are laying on the glass bottom. Starting to feel like maybe breeding these clowns are just not for me. Here is a video.

andrewkw

Country flag
The water is not tinted it should be green tea colour. Also the airstone is turned up way too high. They aren't going to suffocate. You just want a small amount of circulation initially. I did mention these to you last time. You may also want to black out the sides of the tank. Not sure if this is required for this species of clownfish but it certainly can't hurt. The need to tint the water and reduce the flow are important though.

Eholceker

Country flag
The water is not tinted it should be green tea colour. Also the airstone is turned up way too high. They aren't going to suffocate. You just want a small amount of circulation initially. I did mention these to you last time. You may also want to black out the sides of the tank. Not sure if this is required for this species of clownfish but it certainly can't hurt. The need to tint the water and reduce the flow are important though.

So I cut the flow down to half. Lighta were real dim. Fedex was delayed delivering my phyto but should.be here today. Doesnt matter at this point. They are basically all dead.

andrewkw

Country flag
So I cut the flow down to half. Lighta were real dim. Fedex was delayed delivering my phyto but should.be here today. Doesnt matter at this point. They are basically all dead.

It's still too strong. Go slower. If you didn't have the phyto yet you should not have bothered. Unless you are buying tons you are going to need to culture at least a little unless you are planning on just raising one batch and that's it.

Everyone gets excited at first, and it's very natural to jump right in and think you can make things work with whatever you have. I've been there myself but those were the biggest mistakes I have made in fish breeding. Your current setup is setting you up for failure which is only going to discourage you further.

What is your rotifer situation?

If I were you would not attempt to catch any eggs until I have a stable culture of both rotifers and phyto. Once you have the proper food it will be even more heartbreaking to run out before they are ready to move onto the next food.

Before and even after success comes lost of failures. I recently lost over 100 clownfish that had massed metamorphosis. If I have good clutches I'm losing 20, 30 or more larvae almost daily. Set yourself up for success and you will still have many failures but you can limit them and not have failures that are in your control.

Eholceker

Country flag
I got 20 bottles from Algea Barn. Have Rotifer cultures going. 2 bucket fulls. Used my remaining phyto to keep them going knowing I had more on the way. The first 24 hours though don't clownfish still feed off their yolk sack? I changed the flow to the point the water barely moves. They are dying basically within the first 12 hours so green water and rotifers really shouldnt be the issue.