Acrylic Tanks, anyone have one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Just wondering who is maintaining a acrylic tank and their thoughts? I know @evolved has one for his wrasse tank and it looks nice. So he must be doing something right!

I am considering acrylic since it weighs less, seems like less likely to ever leak, and safer around children. It will also be easier to move in the future.

The only downside is cleaning coralline seems scary. I have a small 7g acrylic that is probably 6 or 7 years old and only has maybe two tiny scratches but I hand clean it with a mr clean pad. That might be difficult on a large tank.

Last edited:
Just wondering who is maintaining a acrylic tank and their thoughts? I know @evolved has one for his wrasse tank and it looks nice.

I am considering acrylic since it weighs less, seems like less likely to ever leak, and safer around children. It will also be easier to move in the future.

The only downside is cleaning coralline seems scary. I have a small 7g acrylic that is probably 6 or 7 years old and only has maybe two tiny scratches but I hand clean it with a mr clean pad. That might be difficult on a large tank.
I have a 96x24x24 acrylic tank that me and my wife can carry easily. So yes they are light.

Coraline can be a PITA to clean but if you buy a GOOD magnet cleaner and stay on top of it its no big deal. Well that is if you are bare bottom.

I have scratched the tank several times with other magnet cleaners (not the good ones), but getting scratches out is very easy. just takes a little time.

If you buy one spend the money on a one of these magnet cleaners and here is the scratch removal kit to fix what you may mess up.

I have a 96x24x24 acrylic tank that me and my wife can carry easily. So yes they are light.

Coraline can be a PITA to clean but if you buy a GOOD magnet cleaner and stay on top of it its no big deal. Well that is if you are bare bottom.

I have scratched the tank several times with other magnet cleaners (not the good ones), but getting scratches out is very easy. just takes a little time.

If you buy one spend the money on a one of these magnet cleaners and here is the scratch removal kit to fix what you may mess up.
One last thing of course glass does scratch also. As a matter of fact I didn't have my IM112 set up very long (only about 5 months) but It got a few scratches in it from a flipper cleaner. The good thing about Acrylic is, scratches can be repaired and that isn't the case with glass.

Alcatraz

Country flag
Mine is acrylic and my buddy had it setup as a fresh before he gave to me. What few scratches it did have I was able to sand and buff out. I see no difference in cleaning it from the glass tanks (use for qt).

Tamberav

Country flag

Thank you, very helpful. I certainly wouldn't drop big $$ on a tank only to cheap out on a proper cleaner. I will buy one of these if I go this route.

I do need sand because of my wrasses but I use a larger grain sand. I know evolved has sand in his and I believe it has been up 3 years. I am guessing I just need to take extra care and make sure it doesn't blow around.

Who made your tank?

Alcatraz

Country flag
Thank you, very helpful. I certainly wouldn't drop big $$ on a tank only to cheap out on a proper cleaner. I will buy one of these if I go this route.

I do need sand because of my wrasses but I use a larger grain sand. I know evolved has sand in his and I believe it has been up 3 years. I am guessing I just need to take extra care and make sure it doesn't blow around.

Who made your tank?
Issues with sand is when cleaning that low and accidentally getting a few grains and dragging them up scratching it, otherwise it just blowing from time to time has never been an issue in the 6 years I’ve had it up (includes removing and readding sand due to a move)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Country flag
My old 150 (60x24x24) was acrylic. I had a love / hate relationship with that tank. My wife & I were moving every few years at the time time, and I loved that we had a big tank just the two of us could move. But I also had to travel a lot for work at the time, and while my wife did a great job of feeding the fish, there would be coralline algae growth on the panels that I couldn't get off. :(

100_1706_zps7edcb69b.jpg 100_2846_zpsz3ihendr.jpg

evolved

Country flag
I know @evolved has one for his wrasse tank and it looks nice. So he must be doing something right!
One word: MagSleeve (on both inside/outside the tank, on a flipper max)
I personally feel that >200 gallons, acrylic is the only way to go. Glass just gets soooo heavy, and then there's also seems to worry about.
The only downside is cleaning coralline seems scary.
I can be. Stay on top of it (just don't let it grow). I definitely have some scratches around the edges from scrapping coralline where it does grow, but meh.

I’ve only had small tanks under 40 gals. 4 glass and 1 acrylic. The acrylic one was a shallow 36x18x8 with an all in one filter section on a short side. I think I faced some issues due to the design not being robust enough, like the tank bowed out 1/2” and was continuing to expand before I shut it down.

The biggest cons related to acrylic that I experienced was the ease it scratches and how it reacts to super glue. I had a drop fall on the front panel and it burned into the acrylic. I had always heard of it being easy to scratch but never knew super glue would damage it like that.

With large tanks the pros seem to outweigh the cons, but I wouldn’t get acrylic again. Cleaning glass is much easier for me.

One word: MagSleeve (on both inside/outside the tank, on a flipper max)

I personally feel that >200 gallons, acrylic is the only way to go. Glass just gets soooo heavy, and then there's also seems to worry about.

I can be. Stay on top of it (just don't let it grow). I definitely have some scratches around the edges from scrapping coralline where it does grow, but meh.
Yes 100 % get a MagSleeve for the outside and then mighty magnets sells a inner part for their magnets that’s cheaper than the magsleeve brand.

i dont mind acrylic but that being said Starphire or acyrlic.. there has to be a huge viewing pleasure difference.... no?????

saf1

Country flag
I've owned a 100 gallon acrylic. Normal store brand - tru-vue I think it was. Well built. Euro brace top. Light. Everything everyone has said is true. Lighter. Easier to move. Safer if rock structure shifts. Coralline magnet but stay on top and you are safe. Scratch will happen but manageable.

Looking at my previous 100 gallon tank it was a lot easier to manage as it relates to logistics and movement. I did scratch it though and if I was lazy the algae would take to it first then the coralline would. So it would be an eye sore. Today with my glass 210 gallon it was a pain in the rear to move into the house. I had to rent a portable lift, make a temporary rolling stand, and needed 5 people to move it. I really can't move it as it is now with almost 200 lbs of rock, 250 lbs of sand, etc.

I believe, and this is just my opinion, is that if you are conscious of acrylic or it then it will not be a problem.

way cheaper than glass too.. but i already know .... if i scratched it. id start throwing shi........ lol id be so pissed... but then again i never saw a newer acrylic tank in years.. i had 15 years ago.. and id say its so long ago its prob so much different these days.. my tank had the rounded corners lol.

ive been lucky with my waterbox.. 18months.. and so far i dont have any scratches that i can see...