Adding Fish to Display Tank - Fail

steveb

Country flag
Added several fish that have been in QT

5” gem tang, 4” blue hippo, large lineatus wrasse, several zebra dart and fire fish.

existing fish include 5” Achilles, 5” powder blue, 4” Kole and 4” hybrid black + pair small clowns.

im sure you know where this is going. Achilles seemed fine at first but after about 30 minutes was relentlessly attacking the gem.

the Kole has been pretty aggressive towards the lineatus.

anyway I was able to net the gem since it was stuck up in the corner trying to stay off the Achilles radar.

I have it in one of the chambers in my sump but is just kind of hanging there nose down.

hoping I’m not gonna lose this guy after the long battle to get it + qt’ing.

many thoughts or ideas?

I have another batch of tangs that just moved from cp to observation. Was planning on trying to reintroduce the gem when that group is ready to go in.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Country flag
It's very difficult to add more tangs when Acanthurus & Ctenochaetus are already established in a tank. You can try an acclimation box, but I suspect you will need to remove the Achilles (and possibly the Powder Blue + Kole) to make this work. Add them back last.

Some have also reported success by moving rocks around, changing the fishes' territory.

steveb

Country flag
Should I worry about Gem pretty much stationary nose down in sump? Almost seems to be looking at his reflection on the bottom.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Country flag

steveb

Country flag
Not that I could tell. I hate to net/capture him a 3rd time today.

They were mostly swimming in really tight circles or just outright being chased.

Last edited:

steveb

Country flag
I think I may just turn the cabinet lights off and let him rest. He doesn’t seem to be breathing heavy. Did freak when I put my hand in there with the nori.

steveb

Country flag
Been watching him a bit. He is swimming normally. But definitely doing the I’m dominate display to the reflection he sees on bottom

I guess he’s got to pick on somebody after getting owned by the Achilles.

steveb

Country flag
JimTom (wife made me rename him) the gem tang is fine. Already ate some mysis this morning.

Gerrit Kole Tang is still irritated about Larry Lineatus and Dory being in the tank but not nearly as bad as yesterday evening.

steveb

Country flag
Yup but I’m gonna wait and reintroduce with YT, PT, Sailfin and Naso go in after they finish observation. My hope is Achilles will be overwhelmed and not target any particular fish.

Badilac

Country flag
This is the reason I decided to add all 9 of my tangs at once on my newest build, including a Sohal, Achilles, gem and purple. I tried in the past to add them separately and never had success. If the Achilles was established he would try to kill any other tang so I pulled him and then added a purple. Then the purple tried to kill the Achilles after I reintroduced it. On my new build adding all at once has proven successful, with a few bouts to show who is boss every once in a while. No one messes with the Achilles but the Sohal is next in command.

steveb

Country flag
You are thinking I will still have issues with Achilles even when adding a large group all at the same time? Gem,YT,PT,sailfin,clown,Naso

Badilac

Country flag
You are thinking I will still have issues with Achilles even when adding a large group all at the same time? Gem, YT, PT, sailfin, clown, Naso
Adding 6 at once may do the trick but the weakest may still get attacked. I honestly think that is one of your best bets. The only thing you can do better is pull the existing tangs 3-5 days before the others are ready for the DT then add them all at once. If you can pull them and put them in the sump that would be best.

I currently have the below that I added at the same time.
Achilles
Sohal
Redsea sailfin
Whitetail bristletooth
Yellow belly hippo
Purple
Yellow
Convict
Gem