Alantic Blue Tang - Fuzy Tufts and raised spots

Kcfitz78

While in QT my Alantic Blue Tang developed fuzy white tufts on day 12. After moving my Alantic Blue Tang from QT on day 14 to an observation tank, in just 6 hours after the move it has now developed white raised bumps also.

My quarantine was chloroquine phosphate in the water and feeding food mixed with General Cure and Focus for 14 days. Today I moved the blue tang to just a saltwater Oberservation tank.

Is this bacterial? There are white fuzzy tufts on the fins of Atlantic Blue Tang.... lymphocysits??? The fuzzy patches will fall off when netted, but comes back the next day. But now what is the raised bumps?

Treatment? .... for both conditions?

I looked lymphocysits on HumbleFish's website and that seems to be it. No treatment, other than good feedings with "vitamin-enriched foods and prestine water conditions" and condition will go away..... but the fish will always live with it.

My Alantic BlueTang is eating great and attacks its food..... mysis one day, then next day marine pellets, then day after that mix of mysis/kill/spirulina. Will also go after nori on a clip but not much. All food except nori, are treated with general cure and focus.

Attachments

Last edited:

Kcfitz78

Suggested dosage on the package was 40mg per gallon. I have a 20 gallon QT..... so 800mg or 0.8grams. Just added once with no water change as amonia tag showed good. Only 2 fish in QT. No biological added to the QT, just sterile tank and fresh saltwater. Also no carbon, just running bulk filter floss.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Suggested dosage on the package was 40mg per gallon. I have a 20 gallon QT..... so 800mg or 0.8grams. Just added once with no water change as amonia tag showed good. Only 2 fish in QT. No biological added to the QT, just sterile tank and fresh saltwater. Also no carbon, just running bulk filter floss.
Are the white "things" hanging/dangling off of him? Would they blow around in the flow??

Kcfitz78

Anything on the fins comes off easily... fuzzy patches. The raised bumps on the body do not come off.

Also thanks for your reply on this.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Anything on the fins comes off easily... fuzzy patches. The raised bumps on the body do not come off.

Also thanks for your reply on this.
See, I think the raised bumps might be Ich, and the fuzzy patches are either viral or bacterial. The latter isn't completely unexpected after a fish goes thru Chloroquine (an immunosuppressant). If I may ask, where did you buy your CP??

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
https://mrfrags.com/ ..... got it couple weeks before the price soared. Price raise because ppl buying it for covid19, which is dumb because they have no clue what this stuff really is.
Some vendors sell CP of low purity, which affects dosage. I only buy from the two sources below because I've had their CP chemically analyzed and purity is always 94-97%:

Of course, both are currently sold out of Chloroquine for obvious reasons. ;)

Kcfitz78

Well thank you for all your replies. I will now treat my tang with chelated copper for ich. I was hoping to go CP route as it seemed a little easier to setup and easier on the pets.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Well thank you for all your replies. I will now treat my tang with chelated copper for ich. I was hoping to go CP route as it seemed a little easier to setup and easier on the pets.
It's better tolerated (by most fish) than copper, but trickier to use for the following reasons:
  1. Purity needs to be at least 90% for reliable dosing.
  2. You need to use a digital scale for accurate dosing: https://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-GEMINI-20-Portable-MilliGram/dp/B0012TDNAM/
  3. Bacteria can biodegrade the medication (below therapeutic), so CP is best dosed into a sterile QT.
Overall, the lack of a practical test kit for CP really sucks. At least with copper you can test anytime.

Kcfitz78

It's better tolerated (by most fish) than copper, but trickier to use for the following reasons:
  1. Purity needs to be at least 90% for reliable dosing.
  2. You need to use a digital scale for accurate dosing: https://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-GEMINI-20-Portable-MilliGram/dp/B0012TDNAM/
  3. Bacteria can biodegrade the medication (below therapeutic), so CP is best dosed into a sterile QT.
Overall, the lack of a practical test kit for CP really sucks. At least with copper you can test anytime.
I agree with that. Same goes for any of the other powder meds too. Mix in water and then poor it in and hope for the best. Perform a water change and scratch head wondering how much to add.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
I agree with that. Same goes for any of the other powder meds too. Mix in water and then poor it in and hope for the best. Perform a water change and scratch head wondering how much to add.
Yup, all meds we dose in water can be biodegraded so the less nitrifying bacteria the better. The sole exception is copper - a liquid poison, not a true medication. ;) It only works because most fish can survive longer in it than the parasites.

pecan2phat

I wonder if my roller mat fleece is contributing to the degradation of the CP in my treatment.
I start on 2/1/20 dosing 40mg followed with another dose the following day. I've used a 4mg daily maintenance dose along with 6 additional 40mg doses along the way either because since 2/1/20, I see visual spots or scratching against sand and rocks or one of the more alarming sights is green hair algae. So this has been a 56 day treatment of a ton of CP (7 full 40mg doses and daily 4mg doses) and I don't see success at the end of the road, very frustrating.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
I wonder if my roller mat fleece is contributing to the degradation of the CP in my treatment.
I start on 2/1/20 dosing 40mg followed with another dose the following day. I've used a 4mg daily maintenance dose along with 6 additional 40mg doses along the way either because since 2/1/20, I see visual spots or scratching against sand and rocks or one of the more alarming sights is green hair algae. So this has been a 56 day treatment of a ton of CP (7 full 40mg doses and daily 4mg doses) and I don't see success at the end of the road, very frustrating.
If it contains any "poly" material that will remove all soluble medications.