LED Anybody see the ATI led system

Users who are viewing this thread

I guess it's been around a little bit but I just saw it. It looks cool. 30x30 coverage. It would be great for my next tank but $1000 each. Ouuuuchhhh

mattzang

Country flag
it looks more appealing than the coralcare to me

although parker's reef is rocking the coralcare plus some kessils and orphek strips and his tank looks pretty nice

Kyl

Country flag
I was 100% set on Coralcare Gen2 until I learned more about the Straton. It got to the point that I basically cancelled my soft preorder on the CC's and instead have two Straton on order. Anything from Germany has been very delayed for a number of months with containers being held up, but my fixtures should arrive at the vendor next week. I may actually have them by the end of the week if everything lines up.

I'm personally tired of tons of connection cables running all over and want wall to wall coverage, which such large panels should easily achieve. The fact they have a bracket mount option now means I can eventually mount them as I prefer, affixed to the wall.

They are indeed pricey, but most things from Germany are.

mggray87

Dino man
Country flag
Ya as much as I'd hate to waste my mitras. Onnnext tank I might go with 3 stratons for 72x36 or even 60x36. I hate the idea of run into 4 mitras down middle. 46 wide. I do not wanna buy 6 or even 8. More because I don't wanna draw that much power here in ca. That would be pricy

mggray87

Dino man
Country flag
I also haven't figured out how to hang lights over peninsula when we get it. The grand room is a 20ft ceiling. Lady thinks cables that long will look stupid. And having 3 or 4. That's 30 or 40lbs. External overflow on wall side so just haven't come up with clean options

Kyl

Country flag
I've seen some of the heavier duty aluminum extrusions used to create a floating bar, it would require bolting to the wall though. Or a local metalwork place, they could probably weld something up to support that weight. Given it's distributed along the profile, and not solely on one end, is not as bad as it seems load wise. Deflection wouldn't be more than like 2-3mm if properly done.

JoshH

Country flag
I also haven't figured out how to hang lights over peninsula when we get it. The grand room is a 20ft ceiling. Lady thinks cables that long will look stupid. And having 3 or 4. That's 30 or 40lbs. External overflow on wall side so just haven't come up with clean options

Honestly cables as thin as you can go are almost invisable

20210214_200041.jpg

mggray87

Dino man
Country flag
That cable on wall isn't bad. Never though of that. But I wonder if thick enough 8020 screwed into steel stand if planned during build of stand. Would not bow. I'd like a channel so I can add 3 lights slide another later if I get one. So I like channel idea under it. Hmm

Kyl

Country flag
It would have to be bolted into your stand, and the 90º bracketing would have to be a bit overdone. I know Deven (reefdudes guy) went that route with his radions, they only weigh like 4lbs though. I'm sure if you went with a sufficient profile it would work.

Here's the link to the style I was referring: Youtube Video

Last edited:

JoshH

Country flag
That cable on wall isn't bad. Never though of that. But I wonder if thick enough 8020 screwed into steel stand if planned during build of stand. Would not bow. I'd like a channel so I can add 3 lights slide another later if I get one. So I like channel idea under it. Hmm

Absolutely, you would have to go pretty thick with the 8020 though to make it work over such a large span. They have a deflection calculator for there profiles on there website. You can put the weight in and it will tell you roughly how much the bar will sag, if atall

saf1

Country flag
@JoshH you painted the a360x body? Neat idea.

Rest of us here. This is just my personal opinion and nothing scientific so take this for what it is worth. If I was to buy lights today, February 26, 2021, I would choose between:

Coral Care Gen 2
ATI Straton

They are in my opinion the two leaders in market today. Why? Easy, passive cooling. ATI gets passive and slim by running more LED's at lower power for better thermal efficiency. Coral Care on the other hand took it a step up and said we'll take the driver and place it in the light head unit along with a beefy heat sink and give you passive cooling AND remove a power brink in the process. Both of these reasons are why I would pick either.

Coral Care "appears" to be more accessible and open to mounting options compared to ATI. May not be a huge deal but it is something. ATI may have an edge on total life expectancy due to more LED's at less power. May be important, may not. Depends on the upgrade cycle for the hobbyist. If I was to pick?

I would pick Coral Care. Mounting options, cord only, and color spectrum are right up my ally. I prefer more natural daylight look and feel like I'm doing a afternoon dive. How I'm wired. I would own them today if it wasn't due to the distributer...

ATI though. Nice light and probably would be the correct choice as I'm coming from Kessil's and a custom kit I made. Only thing I have a issue with is the mounting option. However, it is not a deal breaker which gets me back to...

Both CC and ATI set the bar for all new lights moving forward. I am curious how SKY from Neptune is going to be laid out. The initial tank photos I've seen are interesting and their shimmer? Looks really natural. We'll see. Not to chicken out and say one is better here but both ATI and CC are great lights. I'd wager the only reason why one gets selected vs the other is spectrum. Taking the more natural CC light and trying to change it heavy blue is a waste. Which is why I disliked BRS's review on it because they couldn't be bothered to say it and bin it as a mixed reef only light because of their light spectrum bias.

Kyl

Country flag
I think there's much more than just spectrum at play with them, but that BRS video was IMO quite damaging to potential market exposure. It's also a sign of how rigid the EU scene can be with things, bringing that to NA market with zero options other than 50/50 white/blue, which is a lot whiter than seems normal use here, was a mistake. PAR isn’t everything, but that was a marketing blunder effectively making the fixture look underpowered for the price tag. I’m sure given CoralVue is solely distributing and has not much of any impact on the product development in this case (which I would assume is so given my extensive back and forth between some parties involved), that type of thing was never seriously considered by Phillips.

I changed my focus when final details were rolled out. I saw the real world impact of spectrum tuning to what I prefer in many instances, then started trying to figure out how to work around it. Even nearly ordered some Orphek actinic accent bars to get the blue levels I would have wanted. Then I finally received the NA pricing, saw a rather large chunk of markup from the EU and confirmed control limitations which would mean I would need multiple control boxes should I roll out in future to my DT as well, that there’s now also control cords to have to hide/account for too.

Then I came back across the Straton which I had originally dismissed solely from exterior looks. Hanging only, looked like it would run fairly hot, etc. A lot more digging and watching far more German youtube videos than I’ve ever done in my life, along with some actual NA owner discussions, these were the points that changed my mind:

Weight - obviously an issue in most people’s mind
Control - each fixture has its own webserver / wifi connectivity, along with 3 internal panels that can operate independent of the others if wanted, and individual channel control
Spectrum – there are less overall white LED’s so less "wasted" to reduce for a bluer look
A single power/control cord to the fixture, control is built into the lead to the driver/power supply

The minuses over the CC IMO are;
Not IP rated - Will mean more cleaning maintenance required, don't ever get wet.
External power supply/driver, ie another brick and there is a little controller box inline with the driver.
Mounting options, though there is a direct mount bracket available with ATI.DE now
Price, though once you include the require control box which is sold separately, the spread is a bit less.

I still think the CC is a great light, heck I almost bought them, but for my use case they didn't make sense to proceed with. As for SKY, I am pretty much done with that company and won't support them at all.

saf1

Country flag
I think there's much more than just spectrum at play with them, but that BRS video was IMO quite damaging to potential market exposure. It's also a sign of how rigid the EU scene can be with things, bringing that to NA market with zero options other than 50/50 white/blue, which is a lot whiter than seems normal use here, was a mistake. PAR isn’t everything, but that was a marketing blunder effectively making the fixture look underpowered for the price tag. I’m sure given CoralVue is solely distributing and has not much of any impact on the product development in this case (which I would assume is so given my extensive back and forth between some parties involved), that type of thing was never seriously considered by Phillips.

I changed my focus when final details were rolled out. I saw the real world impact of spectrum tuning to what I prefer in many instances, then started trying to figure out how to work around it. Even nearly ordered some Orphek actinic accent bars to get the blue levels I would have wanted. Then I finally received the NA pricing, saw a rather large chunk of markup from the EU and confirmed control limitations which would mean I would need multiple control boxes should I roll out in future to my DT as well, that there’s now also control cords to have to hide/account for too.

Then I came back across the Straton which I had originally dismissed solely from exterior looks. Hanging only, looked like it would run fairly hot, etc. A lot more digging and watching far more German youtube videos than I’ve ever done in my life, along with some actual NA owner discussions, these were the points that changed my mind:

Weight - obviously an issue in most people’s mind
Control - each fixture has its own webserver / wifi connectivity, along with 3 internal panels that can operate independent of the others if wanted, and individual channel control
Spectrum – there are less overall white LED’s so less "wasted" to reduce for a bluer look
A single power/control cord to the fixture, control is built into the lead to the driver/power supply

The minuses over the CC IMO are;
Not IP rated - Will mean more cleaning maintenance required, don't ever get wet.
External power supply/driver, ie another brick and there is a little controller box inline with the driver.
Mounting options, though there is a direct mount bracket available with ATI.DE now
Price, though once you include the require control box which is sold separately, the spread is a bit less.

I still think the CC is a great light, heck I almost bought them, but for my use case they didn't make sense to proceed with. As for SKY, I am pretty much done with that company and won't support them at all.

Correct. The coral care gen 2 is not for anyone who wants or prefers the more blue side of spectrums. Philips is a bit more popular over in EMEA obviously has only a few had the Gen 1's in the US.

Lighting can be the most expensive part of the tank all things considered so I always look at it once, twice, and then repeat before I throw any sort of money down. Why I've stayed with what I have this build so far with the Kessil's and custom build. Somehow I came across a video - I think it was Parkers Reef or something. Anyway that lad down under was discussing his cost so far. Nothing out of the ordinary being the size and all similar to remodelling of say a bathroom or kitchen. Anyway what I found odd is that his primary light was the new Coral Care Gen 2's with Kessil a360x's mixed in in front, and some light bar for which I forget the name.

I'm thinking that is a bit much and wouldn't have been my choice. Looked like he was compensating for the spectrum of his primary light to get his visual vib. In his case, and lighting budget, I would have looked elsewhere. Not knocking him just found it interesting. Also some people are mean in their comments - knuckleheads :)

The ATI straton thread over on R2R was good. As was the one with CC.

Edit: in case anyone wants to know why Coral Care chose their design and how they came about this was a good interview with Luc the main designer. Please note I am not pushing a light, I don't even use them, just found the Q & A interesting.

Last edited:

mggray87

Dino man
Country flag
i like my Mitras.. but new tank because of the spread.. i would try the ATI

JoshH

Country flag
@JoshH you painted the a360x body? Neat idea.

Rest of us here. This is just my personal opinion and nothing scientific so take this for what it is worth. If I was to buy lights today, February 26, 2021, I would choose between:

Coral Care Gen 2
ATI Straton

They are in my opinion the two leaders in market today. Why? Easy, passive cooling. ATI gets passive and slim by running more LED's at lower power for better thermal efficiency. Coral Care on the other hand took it a step up and said we'll take the driver and place it in the light head unit along with a beefy heat sink and give you passive cooling AND remove a power brink in the process. Both of these reasons are why I would pick either.

Coral Care "appears" to be more accessible and open to mounting options compared to ATI. May not be a huge deal but it is something. ATI may have an edge on total life expectancy due to more LED's at less power. May be important, may not. Depends on the upgrade cycle for the hobbyist. If I was to pick?

I would pick Coral Care. Mounting options, cord only, and color spectrum are right up my ally. I prefer more natural daylight look and feel like I'm doing a afternoon dive. How I'm wired. I would own them today if it wasn't due to the distributer...

ATI though. Nice light and probably would be the correct choice as I'm coming from Kessil's and a custom kit I made. Only thing I have a issue with is the mounting option. However, it is not a deal breaker which gets me back to...

Both CC and ATI set the bar for all new lights moving forward. I am curious how SKY from Neptune is going to be laid out. The initial tank photos I've seen are interesting and their shimmer? Looks really natural. We'll see. Not to chicken out and say one is better here but both ATI and CC are great lights. I'd wager the only reason why one gets selected vs the other is spectrum. Taking the more natural CC light and trying to change it heavy blue is a waste. Which is why I disliked BRS's review on it because they couldn't be bothered to say it and bin it as a mixed reef only light because of their light spectrum bias.

Yeah I'm really not a huge fan of the black, but do like the kessils so had to do what I had to do lol

20210210_212513.jpg

I wish Kessil made the shells in white as an upgrade option, I would have certainly paid more for them lol