Question of the Day Are prices going up or down?

Users who are viewing this thread

Country flag
I do think they are somewhat leveling, as well as sales of hard goods. I think as more people leave the home and go back to the office and go on vacation, they will spend less with hobbies. Maybe we will start seeing realistic prices and not price gouging.

andrewkw

Country flag
I am having a conversation with a friend on FACEBOOK right now about how I've never seen prices go down. He thinks salt will go down due to recession.

Country flag
Yeah I’ve noticed some livestock prices are coming down. When I was starting in the hobby around 2019 gold torches were about $300-$500 at LFS and online but they are available below $150 now. I think torches, frogspawn, and hammers had a big surge in demand but that seems to be settling now.

Equipment costs still seem to be up but it depends on the supplier. I was looking into some GHL gear and their profilux 4 launched in 2016 for $499 but the same exact device is now $569
I think GHL has been heavily impacted by supply chain issues so this may be unique to them

ptor

Country flag
There are still some stores that still have their prices way too high but I've noticed stores that are a bit more fair in pricing so their is a bit of cooling in the reefing scene.

Country flag
This one LFS I went to had $15-$20-$25 bins on small frags of soft corals and even some LPS. Very tiny frags I'll say, but it warmed my heart to see that because I want this hobby to be affordable for EVERYONE. I don't mind being patient to watch a frag grow into a full colony.
Oh wow I didn’t realize it was that expensive elsewhere.
@Robert Tran spoils us in the Bay Area with these 3 tanks filled with all type of coral for $9.99 and then he has a long tank filled with sps for $9.99
Prices obviously go up from there but it has always been nice to have those tanks to find deals in.
9F6DF887-886D-4CCA-8919-D9B6B85A5FD0.png

Humblefish

HF
Oh wow I didn’t realize it was that expensive elsewhere.
@Robert Tran spoils us in the Bay Area with these 3 tanks filled with all type of coral for $9.99 and then he has a long tank filled with sps for $9.99
Prices obviously go up from there but it has always been nice to have those tanks to find deals in.
View attachment 79168
WOW! :Thumbs_up_green:

RichConley

Country flag
This one LFS I went to had $15-$20-$25 bins on small frags of soft corals and even some LPS. Very tiny frags I'll say, but it warmed my heart to see that because I want this hobby to be affordable for EVERYONE. I don't mind being patient to watch a frag grow into a full colony.
It's really frustrating to me that the push in this hobby has been towards exclusivity and "rare" and we've gotten to the point where some corals have basically disappeared from the hobby because they grow well and color up easily. Pocillopora or xenia are good examples of this - sure, they can be problematic in a 500g tank when access becomes an issue, but for newbies and small tanks, they're fantastic. They look great, grow easily, and propagate easily.

andrewkw

Country flag
It's really frustrating to me that the push in this hobby has been towards exclusivity and "rare" and we've gotten to the point where some corals have basically disappeared from the hobby because they grow well and color up easily. Pocillopora or xenia are good examples of this - sure, they can be problematic in a 500g tank when access becomes an issue, but for newbies and small tanks, they're fantastic. They look great, grow easily, and propagate easily.

I don't think any corals have disappeared really. It's just now there are so many more stores some specialize in high end corals only. A couple of weeks ago I sold 20 xenia frags to a store and they were very happy to take them. I was talking to another store owner (On a bit of a trip) and he was like I always need xenia you should bring me some! But if I go to the stores that have 25 shades of yellow torch corals at 25 different price points all of which insane, they aren't going to want to bother.

Country flag
seems like in general they're coming down, but it does depend where you shop

online stuff seems super inflated right now and has been for awhile. liveaquaria seems to be wanting $200+ for any foxface/rabbitfish which is just weird

conversely, this place has been low forever and idk how they even make money

New Fish Shipment!!!
Specials (indicated by “***”)-
***Achilles Tang $160
***Captive Bred Regal Angel $210
***White Tail Kole Tang $120
***Yellow Tail Tamarin Wrasse $80
***Blue margin Fairy Wrasse $90
***Whipfin Fairy Wrasse $45
***Molly Miller Blenny (aiptasia eater) $25
***Sailfin Molly (SW converted) $8
***Neon Blue Velvet Damsel $10
***Staghorn Hermit Crab $20
***Halloween & Electric Blue Knuckle Hermits $8
***5”-7” ULTRA Blue Maxima Clams $110
***Rock Flower Anemones $20
Price List:
-Angels:
Bicolor Angel $25
Coral Beauty Angel $25
Emperor Angel $50
***Flame Angel $50
Koran Angel $35
Lamarck Angel $30
Lemon peel Angel $35
C/B Regal Angel $210
-Anthias:
Bartlett’s Anthias $45
Dispar Anthias $25
Lyretail Anthias $25
Purple Queen Anthias $25
-Basslet:
Royal Gramma $18
-Blenny:
Bicolor Blenny $15
Lawnmower Blenny $18
***Midas Blenny $50
Orange Spot Blenny $30
Starry Blenny $20
Tailspot Blenny $10
-Cardinal:
Pajama Cardinal $10
-Clownfish:
TR Occelaris Clownfish $13 or 2/$25
Black and White Clownfish $25
Designer Clownfish $16-80
-Damsel/Chromis:
Blue/Green Chromis $6 or 2/$10
-Dottyback
***C/B Neon Dottyback $20
-Filefish:
Aiptasia Eating Filefish $25
Orange Spot Filefish $25
-Goby:
Diamond Goby $18
Engineer Goby $10
Firefish $13 or 2/$25
Hector Goby $12
***Helfrichi Firefish $60
Mandarin Dragonette $18
Mandarin Dragonette (spotted) $22
Pink Spot Goby $20
Purple Firefish $25
Rainsford Goby $16
Twin Spot Goby $12
Yellow Clown Goby $10
Yellow Watchman Goby $12
-Pipefish:
Banded Pipefish $16
-Puffers:
Dogface Puffer $25
Porcupine Puffer $50
-Rabbitfish:
Foxface $45
-Tangs:
Blue Tang tiny $45
Blue Tang small $50
***Blue Tang Medium $60
Clown Tang $30
***Chocolate Tang $50
Convict Tang $30
Naso Tang $40
Orange Shoulder Tang $35
Philippine Yellow Tang $35
Powder Blue Tang $60
Powder Brown Tang $40
Sailfin Tang $30
Scopas Tang $30
-Trigger:
Blue Jaw Trigger (Female) $25
Blue Jaw Trigger (Male) $45
Humu Trigger small $20
***Humu Trigger medium $15
Niger Trigger $20
-Wrasses:
Blue Star Leopard Wrasse $50
Carpenter Wrasse $30
Carpenter Wrasse Super Male $45
Cleaner Wrasse $18
Clown Fairy Wrasse $35
Leopard Wrasse $30
Lubbock Fairy Wrasse $30
***McCosker Wrasse $45
Melanarus Wrasse $30
***Mystery Wrasse $100
***Naoko Wrasse $60
Ornate Leopard Wrasse $30
***Pintail Fairy Wrasse $50
Sixline Wrasse $18
Tricolor Wrasse (male) $35
Yellow Coris $18

Shred5

Country flag
Depends on what it is. Fish and invert prices seem to have stabilized or slightly up.
Coral prices are dropping hard. A few places are behind the curve still.
Macna prices of corals seemed pretty reasonable.

RichConley

Country flag
I don't think any corals have disappeared really. It's just now there are so many more stores some specialize in high end corals only. A couple of weeks ago I sold 20 xenia frags to a store and they were very happy to take them. I was talking to another store owner (On a bit of a trip) and he was like I always need xenia you should bring me some! But if I go to the stores that have 25 shades of yellow torch corals at 25 different price points all of which insane, they aren't going to want to bother.
Sure - they haven't totally gone away - but they're way harder to find than they should be - because so many stores either don't want to touch them, or want to charge an arm and a leg for them - and most newbies aren't bothering to keep them because they're being told "Stay away, it's invasive and will take over your tank" or that it's not desirable.

I'm not sure how much is regional - and how much is change in the hobby over time - but when I was reefing in the late 90s/early 2000s (in Boston), if you popped onto the BostonReefers forum and were like "Hey, I'm new, just finished setting up my tank" people would be throwing rubble, chaeto, and stuff like mushrooms/zoas/leathers/etc at you. We had a strain of BTA that was referred to as the Toilet BTA because the joke was it would survive living in your toilet. People were culturing these things under shoplights with $2 bulbs and giving them away to whoever wanted them. I don't see much of that anymore - and a lot of the give-away corals are expensive now. I see strains of mushrooms that have been in the hobby 25 years, are easy to keep, easy to propagate, etc, and people want $60 for a single one.

Like I said - it's possible this is all regional - the reefing community in Boston was way bigger than it is in the mid-atlantic. That $9.99 bin is absolutely not something you see around here.

ReefingAintEasy

Salt water pimp of the west
Country flag
I see a lot of price gouging still going on and blaming it on the supply chain still. I’m not saying that transportation costs etc haven’t gone up but not at the rate that a non-wholesale customer is charged.

I see a tactic of “coupons”. Raising the price so the coupon lowers it to what it was to make it seem like a great deal.

Humblefish

HF
I agree. Nothing wrong with "rare" corals, but newbies should be encouraged to buy "easy" corals until they gain more experience. So many quit the hobby because they weren't able to keep acans, chalices & acros alive in their first tank. :eek: