Buying Fish Question Tied to Disease Management

Users who are viewing this thread

gguertin

Country flag
I am looking at buying some new fish... I have a 180g SPS tank that has been setup with fish since 2012... Some of the fish have been QT but not everything that has gone in the tank. I am sure there is probably ich in my tank although I have not seen any signs of it in a very long time. I do have a 55w UV. The blue tang is quite old and I have put it through some events in previous attempts to QT that I wont do with it again until this ones time is done... its atleast 10 I had it in a previous tank (So no I wont catch them and QT all of them)

Looking at fish I saw someone on this site who is selling fish as QT vs Conditioned. Being in the position I am in I have a hard time justifying the cost for QT fish to add them to a display that could very well have ich anyway?

Thoughts on getting a fish that was in a Hydrogen Peroxide bath and some other stuff then add right to the display? I think there are some ways ich can be managed in a display but am I really taking a risk on something like velvet? Are the odds better then not that the Peroxide bath would have dealt with things like Velvet?

Thanks!

Jessican

Sheriff
Country flag
Take a look at the “Maintenance dosing/adding new fish” section of my OP in this thread, I think it’s essentially what you’re looking to do:

gguertin

Country flag
It looks like you added UV after adding the new fish. I have not read the entire thread yet but would you still dose peroxide in the Display now that you have a UV? Wasnt the peroxide dosing to attack free floating similar to what a UV would do?

I have actually dosed peroxide years ago with a DOS but I never took the fish out to do a bath like people are doing now. because my tank is now 100% SPS (only have 5 fish right now) I am leaning towards the bath and hopefully the UV catches anything that gets by it? I didnt lose any SPS back when I had dosed peroxide but I have a much more significant investment into SPS now then I did back then.

Jessican

Sheriff
Country flag
Yes, I still dosed peroxide after adding the UV - they are more powerful together than they are separately. I dosed for at least a month after any new addition. You could always try just a bath and then into the tank with UV, and just keep dosing in the back of your mind for if any fish show signs of disease once you’ve added them.

I don’t have many SPS (pocillopora, montis, couple acros) but I didn’t see any issues with them during dosing.