Cave Goby? (Win $10 FisHotel Bucks!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Dierks

FisHotel Concierge
Quarantined Livestock
Vendor
Country flag
So I was sold two of these little guys. I really am not sure what they are and was hoping you guys could tell me... They are about 1" long and swim upside down... Again sold to me as a "Cave Goby"

Honestly super cool little fish!! Just wish I could nail down exactly what they are! If anyone can beat @eatbreakfast in naming the fish (Scientific Name) I will give you $10 FisHotel Credit as a fun contest!

NEW PICTURES BELOW

Here he is:
CaveGoby.jpg

Ready Go!!

Last edited:
What was their locality of collection?

If from a hobbyist pre-Hawaii closure, I want to say Priolepis farcimen, but those are really only super common in Hawaii from my knowledge...

If Australian, then potentially P. nuchifasciata

However if they're just from a localized SE Asian source, then maybe P. vexilla

They're all red gobies, but put my money down for the vexillas.

Bugeater281

Country flag
Wish the color was a bit better. I’m guessing a Trimma species. I’ll edit this after a little research, can you get a better color photo?

Doubtful as it’s a deeper fish, but maybe trimma putrai.

Last edited:

Bugeater281

Country flag
What was their locality of collection?

If from a hobbyist pre-Hawaii closure, I want to say Priolepis farcimen, but those are really only super common in Hawaii from my knowledge...

If Australian, then potentially P. nuchifasciata

However if they're just from a localized SE Asian source, then maybe P. vexilla

They're all red gobies, but put my money down for the vexillas.
The thing throwing me is the upside down trait. But these look dead on. I’m not sure how common upside down swimming is in gobies.

DexterB

Country flag
Guessing Yellow Priolepis Goby(Priolepis aureoviridis) guess if stays yellow or
Ascension Goby (Priolepis ascensionis) if still stressed pales & shows stripes later