Chocolate Chip Starfish only tank

Users who are viewing this thread

oceanfrontinNE

I object!
Country flag
I’m getting Harlequin Shrimp soon and in an effort to ramp up the availability of food for them I’ve seeded my DT with asterina stars donated from local reefers. I also have a standing order with my LFS for a couple chocolate chip starfish. I don’t want them in my DT or my coral/invert QT since they eat soft corals, so I set up this little 3 gallon cube tank for them last night. I acclimated two chocolate chip stars to my DT water and sumped them until I get this one going for a couple days at least.
38F0B9FB-F5D1-4F53-8521-27664434F336.jpeg

I had this tank leftover as a hospital tank for when I had freshwater fish and it was never used. I bought CaribSea Reef sand and a chunk of live rock from my LFS. I used water from my coral/invert QT and have dosed it with Dr. Tim’s last night and again this morning.
606B30BF-926D-45CE-A762-C78BF403C664.jpeg

oceanfrontinNE

I object!
Country flag
So these two have already been moved to my 20 gal coral/invert QT with nothing but a GSP frag in it. Ammonia badge started turning green so I moved them out. The badge has turned back to yellow so I might put them back in, but I’m not sure yet. If I need to section off my coral/Invert QT with some egg crate I suppose that could work instead. Not sure what I’m going to do with this little tank yet.

ichthyogeek

Country flag
My vote is to tear down most of the sandbed, and keep using it for chocolate chip starfish. I've also heard they're cannibalistic....

I don't know if starfish can get around egg crate. Those tasty tasty podia are pretty good at getting starfish around.

Now a workaround might be to feed the starfish with their podia-less compatriots who have served their purpose for feeding the harlequins.

Something else might be to seed with some sort of macroalgae like chaeto or Ulva which you can use to suck out more nutrients. Of course, given that it's such a small tank, and the starfish are being kept for food, you might also be able to get away with linking the two systems together so the starfish can't get eaten/out while the larger tank helps maintain water parameters. Or just do 1-2 gallon water changes every day once the tank's cycled. So many options...