Clean Up Crew

Kups

Country flag
I recently setup a new 120 and am thinking through my cleanup crew.

I'm curious what everyone else has for a clean up crew on their tanks and what their favourites are.

Currently on 29 biocube:
Nassarius snails
2 mexican turbo snails
2 halloween hermit crabs
Blue leg hermit crabs
Cerith snail
Bumble bee snails

I find they all can be good but also cause issues from time to time. My favourites are the turbos as they destroy green hair algae in my tank.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Country flag
I like Astraea, Cerith, Nassarius and Nerite Snails. And of course a fighting conch. But my absolute favorite are Banded Trochus Snails because a) They are able to right themselves b) They reproduce readily in captivity.

I also like Emerald Crabs because they eat bubble algae and other nuisance algae. (y)

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
Country flag
I like red mithrax crabs..... excellent algae eaters. Also Cowries.....they are out mostly at night but are good at cleaning the glass and other exposed areas. In a large tank an Abolone will eat tons of algae off the glass and rocks.

Bruce

Country flag
I like Astraea, Cerith, Nassarius and Nerite Snails. And of course a fighting conch. But my absolute favorite are Banded Trochus Snails because a) They are able to right themselves b) They reproduce readily in captivity.

I also like Emerald Crabs because they eat bubble algae and other nuisance algae. (y)
How many of each would you put in a 205 gallon DT?

clsanchez77

20 Year Noob
Country flag
I'm curious what everyone else has for a clean up crew on their tanks and what their favourites are.

Currently on 29 biocube:
Nassarius snails
2 mexican turbo snails
2 halloween hermit crabs
Blue leg hermit crabs
Cerith snail
Bumble bee snails

I find they all can be good but also cause issues from time to time. My favourites are the turbos as they destroy green hair algae in my tank.
I like it. Im a big fan of ceriths. I really appreciate that you did not start your post with "29" of each of the items LOL. Who ever came up with the initial X per gallon rule on CUC needs a throat punch.

clsanchez77

20 Year Noob
Country flag
I have never found that to be true in my tanks. I keep Emeralds....and bubble algae 🤣 I will say I recommend Emeralds because they are cool. I find them more interested in catching detritus floating in the water than picking algae. There are several anecdotal reports of them eating corals but I suspect this is because the tanks are too clean.

How many of each would you put in a 205 gallon DT?
Depends, how much algae/detritus do you have? If the tank is new, or clean, stock very slowly. I find Vivid Aquariums in California has the most honest CUC stocking ratios when compared to other store recommendations. They currently do not have these listed on their site as it seems most of their CUC is currently out of stock. Absent of that, figure out which ones you want, and which ones you don't, and start with a half dozen of the ones that make the cut and see how they do. On stars, urchins and cucumbers, stock very slowly, one is more than enough for even a large tank.

Bruce

Country flag
I have never found that to be true in my tanks. I keep Emeralds....and bubble algae 🤣 I will say I recommend Emeralds because they are cool. I find them more interested in catching detritus floating in the water than picking algae. There are several anecdotal reports of them eating corals but I suspect this is because the tanks are too clean.

Depends, how much algae/detritus do you have? If the tank is new, or clean, stock very slowly. I find Vivid Aquariums in California has the most honest CUC stocking ratios when compared to other store recommendations. They currently do not have these listed on their site as it seems most of their CUC is currently out of stock. Absent of that, figure out which ones you want, and which ones you don't, and start with a half dozen of the ones that make the cut and see how they do. On stars, urchins and cucumbers, stock very slowly, one is more than enough for even a large tank.
Thanks for the info My tank isn't setup yet. I'm waiting on my floor to get tiled so that I can get the tank plumbed and filled up I'm trying to figure out my fish and clean up crew list while I wait Any suggestions on an "ideal" clean up crew? It's going to be a fish only tank ( I'm not sure if that's important or not )

clsanchez77

20 Year Noob
Country flag
I'm waiting on my floor to get tiled so that I can get the tank plumbed...
Smart. We replaced our laminate floors before starting up the tank project...and then replaced the laminate floor shortly (specifically a single night's sleep) after firing up the RO unit