Clown Fish sick for 2 months

Hupajupe

Country flag
I have a clown fish that i have been treating for Brooklynella for almost 2 months now and he is not getting better. I picked him up as a pair at the beginning of June and started the hybrid TTM method for both of them starting with a Peroxide bath. The second day one of them had what looked like an open wound on its head that was bright red and his eyes were looking cloudy as well. I assumed the peroxide must have burned his head and assumed he had a bacterial infection causing the cloudy eyes. Below is a picture of his head.
Untitled.jpg

I then moved him to a separate QT and gave him 2 weeks of antibiotics and copper instead of the TTM. Over a 3 day period the end of his tail also seemed to deteriorate and he lost the white and black stripe completely. At the end of the two weeks he looked great aside from his short tail so i stopped his treatments. a few days later I then noticed his eyes seemed to look cloudy again so i changed the lights on the tank to mostly blue and he lit up with white slime/sluff all over his body. Below is a picture.
2.jpg

After some research the best thing it seemed to match was Brook, I did not have formalin on hand so i opted for a ruby reef rally bath and then I treated his tank with ruby reef rally for another two weeks. He did not seem to be getting better but it was not getting any worse either. I was able to get some 37% formalin from a LFS and did a 45 min bath on him. He seemed to get much better after that and it almost went away completely but then seemed to be getting worse again a week later. So I then decided to treat him and the other clown fish both in a 60 min 37% formaldehyde bath just to be sure and moved them both to another QT and treated Metroplex on that tank for 2 weeks. The two weeks was up on the 29th of this month but i have kept them both in the QT tank without any meds to see what happens. Tonight I scoped them out and examined them under my good lights again and it looks like it is coming back on the same clown again! the other clown has been in the same QT and treatments and he looks great but he never had anything wrong with him to begin with. below are more images of them both under the lights.
IMG_20200801_204042.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

As you can see one of them looks fine and the other has cloudy eyes and white on his head again. Through all of this he has acted like a normal healthy fish. Swims well, eats well, gets excited when i walk up to his tank and is very active... he just looks like hell compared to the other clown. So at this point i am not sure if I am treating for the proper disease anymore or if i just need to adjust my methods.

Should i remove the healthy clown from the QT and only treat the sick one or keep them together?
Should I do another formalin bath?
Should I do a low dose Formalin on the QT for an extended period?

I feel bad that this poor fish has been sick this long, I dont want to fail him.

Please help and thank you!

Last edited:
@Humblefish

well they look WAYYY better.. second pic looked terrible i thought i was gonna see the worse outcome.

id keep them together as if one has something most likely other too... but i'm not the guy for help.. let humble chime in tomorrow.... great job so far!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Country flag
@Hupajupe After the formalin bath(s), did you transfer the fish into a completely sterile QT? All new tank, water, equipment, etc. (to prevent cross contamination.) Also, how far away are these tanks from one another?

Hupajupe

Country flag
@Hupajupe After the formalin bath(s), did you transfer the fish into a completely sterile QT? All new tank, water, equipment, etc. (to prevent cross contamination.) Also, how far away are these tanks from one another?
Tank is in the next room over and yes it was a new sterile QT/equipment that only the clowns are in after the bath. it's been 2 weeks of metroplex dosed every other day at the higher dosage. The last metroplex treatment was on the 29th of July.

Hupajupe

Country flag
Look at this link to see if it looked or still looks like that. Is his stomach pinched? Does he eat and is there odd poop?
The pic with the red sore only happened the day after the H2O2 bath when I first got him and started QT. He has not had anything that looked like since then. That was just the beginning of all this, as the white stuff on him started after the H2O2 burn.

So far he has had 2 formalin baths, 1 H2O2 bath, 1 ruby reef rally bath, 3 fresh water dips, 2 weeks of copper and antibiotics, 2 weeks of ruby reef rally and metroplex treatment and one more 2 week metroplex treatment. After all this whatever it is has not died. At this point the fish has to be more chemicals than fish. LOL

Big G

007 ?
Country flag
The fact that only the one fish is presenting symptoms, has me leaning bacterial infection. The fish's immune system has been under stress from both parasites, infection and meds. If it was my fish, in a fresh QT, I'd treat with Maracyn (aka erythromycin) + Maracyn2 for 14 days. The erythromycin treats eye infections really well and the Maracyn2 is a wide spectrum antibiotic. Using both of these will be pretty harsh on the water quality. Powerhead aimed up actively rippling the water's surface to compensate for the lowering of O2 in the water column.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Country flag
The fact that only the one fish is presenting symptoms, has me leaning bacterial infection. The fish's immune system has been under stress from both parasites, infection and meds. If it was my fish, in a fresh QT, I'd treat with Maracyn (aka erythromycin) + Maracyn2 for 14 days. The erythromycin treats eye infections really well and the Maracyn2 is a wide spectrum antibiotic. Using both of these will be pretty harsh on the water quality. Powerhead aimed up actively rippling the water's surface to compensate for the lowering of O2 in the water column.
I agree. I’ve treated fish with active Brook using H2O2 now and it has never turned anything red. However, I have made the mistake of treating fish with both Uronema (red sores) and Vibrio bacterial infections (red streaks), and it just made the situation worse by increasing inflammation. Basically, peroxide will “burn” any cuts or open sores on a fish.

Hupajupe

Country flag
Ok so antibiotics then... can I run something (or should I) like ich-x in addition to the antibiotics as well? 2 week treatment then?

on hand I have furan-2, metroplex, kanaplex, reef rally, kick ich, ich-x, methylene blue, malachite green, Paraguard... what would be the best to treat with?

Big G

007 ?
Country flag
The "Trifecta" of Kanaplex + Metroplex + Furan2 has a very broad treatment range.

Dosing Furan-2, KanaPlex, and Metroplex....

Make sure you dissolve the powders in a bowl of tank water before pouring it in! I'd recommend dosing one at a time, waiting a few minutes between each medication. If you've never used furan-2 it is going to turn your water green. It can potentially make reading an alert badge difficult but, as long as you seeded your qt, you'll be doing good sized waterchanges and should be fine. Also, you'll probably want to run a powerhead aimed at the surface of the water. Airstones will also aid in aeration. It is very important that you follow this for a minimum of 10 days, even if the fish starts looking good beforehand. Just like with humans you never want to end antibiotics too early.

Day 1- all three
Day 2- furan-2
Day 3- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 4- furan-2
Day 5- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 6- furan-2
Day 7- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 8- furan-2
Day 9- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 10- furan-2
Day 11- 25% (or more) waterchange

If you need to go 14 days-
Day 11- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 12- furan-2
Day 13- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 14- furan-2
Day 15- 25% (or more) waterchange

Hupajupe

Country flag
The "Trifecta" of Kanaplex + Metroplex + Furan2 has a very broad treatment range.

Dosing Furan-2, KanaPlex, and Metroplex....

Make sure you dissolve the powders in a bowl of tank water before pouring it in! I'd recommend dosing one at a time, waiting a few minutes between each medication. If you've never used furan-2 it is going to turn your water green. It can potentially make reading an alert badge difficult but, as long as you seeded your qt, you'll be doing good sized waterchanges and should be fine. Also, you'll probably want to run a powerhead aimed at the surface of the water. Airstones will also aid in aeration. It is very important that you follow this for a minimum of 10 days, even if the fish starts looking good beforehand. Just like with humans you never want to end antibiotics too early.

Day 1- all three
Day 2- furan-2
Day 3- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 4- furan-2
Day 5- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 6- furan-2
Day 7- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 8- furan-2
Day 9- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 10- furan-2
Day 11- 25% (or more) waterchange

If you need to go 14 days-
Day 11- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 12- furan-2
Day 13- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 14- furan-2
Day 15- 25% (or more) waterchange
Ok wow, thank you so much. Very detailed instructions. I will start this today and keep everyone posted on the progress.
Thank you again! 😁