HELP Clownfish color fading

stupidpants

Country flag
I have a black and white clown that I have had for almost a year and a half. I got home from vacation today and noticed he has some weird fading of his coloring. I also noticed a weird single speck of white right near his left gill.

Doing a water test and I have 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 40ppm Nitrate, 78.2 F, 7.9 ph.

I was getting ready to move my fish from this tank to my new 90g tank tomorrow. Any thoughts or ideas on what is going on here?

Thanks in advance.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Country flag
Does the white speck look anything like this?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Country flag
It could just be some damage from the rocks. Maybe let it ride for now. But keep a close eye out for skin/mucous peeling or if it starts to look anything like this:

stupidpants

Country flag
It could just be some damage from the rocks. Maybe let it ride for now. But keep a close eye out for skin/mucous peeling or if it starts to look anything like this:
Yea I have been looking at Brooklynella or hyper melanosis, but it doesn’t really look like either. I am wondering if the brittle starfish on the rock maybe scrapped him as well, but I just don’t know. Nothing has changed in this tank in at least 6 months so it’s weird to just pop up all of the sudden.
Thanks for the help!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Country flag
Yea I have been looking at Brooklynella or hyper melanosis, but it doesn’t really look like either. I am wondering if the brittle starfish on the rock maybe scrapped him as well, but I just don’t know. Nothing has changed in this tank in at least 6 months so it’s weird to just pop up all of the sudden.
Thanks for the help!

Is it one of those large green brittle stars? People don't believe me, but I swear one time I saw one of those take down a perfectly healthy fish. It's arm grabbed the fish as it hovered too closely to a rock, and dragged it behind the rocks never to be seen again. :eek:

stupidpants

Country flag
Is it one of those large green brittle stars? People don't believe me, but I swear one time I saw one of those take down a perfectly healthy fish. It's arm grabbed the fish as it hovered too closely to a rock, and dragged it behind the rocks never to be seen again. :eek:
It is a green brittle star. I’ve never seen him go after a fish except my yellow watchman that died a few months back that I still don’t know what killed it. The star definitely went after it when it was weak and dying. Otherwise the clowns and star are pretty much always right next to each other.

intense37716

Country flag

omg!! we just bought one today to put in with the live rock and other hitchhikers only. He was in a tank with some mandarins and a potters angel, time will tell. A black mollie will go in a few months

stupidpants

Country flag
omg!! we just bought one today to put in with the live rock and other hitchhikers only. He was in a tank with some mandarins and a potters angel, time will tell. A black mollie will go in a few months
We have had ours for 6 months and it’s awesome. Almost anything in the tank “can” be bad, just depends on the personality of your specific starfish.