Clownfish with Brooklynella

nickpalladino

Please help me. My clownfish appears to have Brooklynella. I cannot find formalin to buy online, which seems like the only effective cure for this. I have other fish in the tank but they do not show symptoms. I have a filter and a bucket for a quarantine tank, but I would need to buy a heater to keep the water temperature above 70 degrees. The fish is now lethargic, its mouth is always open, and it is twitching, swimming around on the bottom of the tank. I have corals and a shrimp so I cannot dose the main tank. I noticed these spots on my clownfish yesterday but there were far fewer of them.

The fish was $20 but it seems that treating it is going to cost me a lot more than $20. Should I invest in treatment in case the other fish in my tank get sick?

I have not added anything to the tank recently except a snail, about two months ago.

IMG_20200326_144550.jpg
IMG_20200326_144545.jpg

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
That doesn't look like typical brook. :unsure:

I would give him a 5 min FW dip and see what drops off: https://humble.fish/community/index.php?threads/freshwater-dip.20/

Even if I'm wrong, a 5 min FW dip will provide temporary relief of Brooklynella. Post dip, put him in an acclimation box inside your DT so we can figure out the next steps based on how the FW dip goes.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
I dipped him. No adverse reactions with the fish, and I did not see anything come off. The spots are still there.
So here's what I would do: Dose Metroplex + Kanaplex (together) every 48 hours. (In a quarantine tank.)

I don't think this is brook, but Metroplex will treat that just in case I am wrong. Metroplex + Kanaplex combined addresses a lot of "weird" issues clownfish sometimes have.

nickpalladino

I already have Sulfaplex. Can I use that instead of Kanaplex? Also, do you recommend dosing the two medications in a quarantine tank or in the fish's food?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
I already have Sulfaplex. Can I use that instead of Kanaplex? Also, do you recommend dosing the two medications in a quarantine tank or in the fish's food?
Metroplex + Sulfaplex should get the job done. I would definitely dose both in a QT. Food soaking is primarily only useful for internal problems. This is an external issue.

nickpalladino

Using a filter pad from my main tank to seed the QT tank could introduce pathogens to it, correct? So I need to use bio-spira, quick start, etc. But wouldn't this require days before the QT is cycled? It doesn't seem like I have that much time.

Could I let the fish stay in the main tank, removing it every two days to apply medication? Perhaps adding it to a tub with some tank water and giving the fish a few minutes to swim around in there.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Using a filter pad from my main tank to seed the QT tank could introduce pathogens to it, correct? So I need to use bio-spira, quick start, etc. But wouldn't this require days before the QT is cycled? It doesn't seem like I have that much time.
Yes, but since you are dosing the QT with meds anyway cross contamination is less of an issue.

Could I let the fish stay in the main tank, removing it every two days to apply medication? Perhaps adding it to a tub with some tank water and giving the fish a few minutes to swim around in there.
You could do it that way, but the medicated bath would need to last several hours. Treating in a QT with continuous exposure to the medications would have more efficacy.

nickpalladino

Ok. I will put the fish in a bucket with a filter and pads from my main tank. I'll take water right out of my main tank to start off, and add the clownfish right away so that the nitrifying bacteria have a source of ammonia. Then I'll monitor the ammonia every day and do small water changes if needed. Does this sound reasonable? Do you recommend lowering the salinity of the QT tank a little to help with brook (if that's what it is)?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Ok. I will put the fish in a bucket with a filter and pads from my main tank. I'll take water right out of my main tank to start off, and add the clownfish right away so that the nitrifying bacteria have a source of ammonia. Then I'll monitor the ammonia every day and do small water changes if needed. Does this sound reasonable? Do you recommend lowering the salinity of the QT tank a little to help with brook (if that's what it is)?
Maintain normal salinity. Instead of a bucket, I would use a small tank (5-10 gallons) so you can see the fish and monitor them from all sides. You can also see one of these more easily in an aquarium:

Petco is currently having their $ per gallon sale.

nickpalladino

Last night I was preparing the QT tank as you instructed, but then another issue came up. My shrimp looked pissed so I tested ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Nitrite was around 2 ppm, so I immediately added prime to the tank and did a small water change. Now that I am basically required to continue using prime and doing water changes until the tank stabilizes, I cannot imagine how I am going to be able to medicate the clownfish. Prime should not be used in conjunction with medications, right?

The nitrite spike could be due to a recent loss of anaerobic bacteria in the tank. Perhaps changing the filter (not the media) killed some of the bacteria. Ammonia is zero and nitrate is around 5. I have a lot of chaeto which helps a lot with nitrate.

Dr.Reef

Always at your service.
i believe its bacterial or viral infection and antibiotics should be used to cure. Problem with antibiotics is that you will lose part beneficial bacteria so we need to make sure of your tanks cycle situation first before using meds in the same tank.

nickpalladino

It is API. I'll test again and bring a sample to my LFS if it tests high. Although I can already suspect nitrite is high because my shrimp was literally trying to leave the tank last night.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish