Clownfish with Popeye not improving

Users who are viewing this thread

unreefer

Country flag
Purchased a pair of very large black saddleback clownfish on Dec, 28. Put them immediately in copper QT. After two days the male clownfish had pop eye in one of his eyes causing it to bulge out pretty big. I ceased the copper treatment and put them in a different tank with antibiotics. I treated it with kanaplex and furan-2 for a few days since I was waiting for erythromycin + Maracyn 2 mail. Since then I have been dosing it and also with Epson salt (5TBS per gallon, x2 times). I have yet to see any improvement. Just ran out of Maracyn 2, now doing erythromycin and furan2. Any ideas what I can do? Can the eye be saved also?

20210113_144228 (2).jpg
20210113_144413 (1).jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Country flag
You could try lancing the air out a la @Paul B method:

If you want to cure him "instantly" so he will love you for a long time. Take the fish out, hold him in a net, or have someone else hold him. Stick a hypodermic needle through the stretched tissue near the top of his eye, not in the eye itself and withdraw the plunger on the needle. The eye will immediately retreat and go back where it was last month and the fish will be very happy.
I have done that dozens of times and never lost or blinded a patient.

unreefer

Country flag
Still no improvement with epson and antibiotics. I'm still trying to gain courage to do this. I tried googling to find information or guide. I really can't find anything detailed.

I seen alot of like bubbles right outside the eye when searching however not much with just pure popeye with 'gas bubble'

I was able to find a 20 gauge needle but should I find something smaller?

How far should the needle go in? Am I at risk of hitting am optical nerve?

How much air do I draw out? Could I go over?

Also I will definitely need to do anesthesia with clove oil. Its way too hyper. How much? Any dosing guides for clownfish?

As you can tell I find this freaky

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Country flag
I was able to find a 20 gauge needle but should I find something smaller?

How far should the needle go in? Am I at risk of hitting am optical nerve?

How much air do I draw out? Could I go over?

Also I will definitely need to do anesthesia with clove oil. Its way too hyper. How much? Any dosing guides for clownfish?
I wouldn't worry about anesthesia so long as you have someone else helping you to hold the fish in place.

I personally would use a 30 gauge insulin syringe. Just stick the needle in far enough to draw out the trapped air. Don't let the tip of the needle go anywhere near his eye.