DIY copper med

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Country flag
For our friends in Canada, a DIY copper med:

Into 1 liter of RODI water add:

4 grams Copper(II) sulfate pentahydrate (CuSO4.5H2O)

AND

0.25 gram Citric acid
- the acid acts as a stabilizer to the copper in solution. Never substitute the citric acid with ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) since it will render the copper way more toxic. :eek:

Everything should dissolve nicely giving you a slightly bluish solution.

9.8 mL of this solution is necessary to bring 100 Liters (26.4172 US gallons) of tank water to 0.1 mg/L copper. Therapeutic range is ~ 0.15 to 0.25 mg/L, but I would try to stay below 0.20 for sensitive species. Can easily be tested using the Hanna High Range Copper Colorimeter (HI702). :)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Country flag

North reef

Country flag
Thank you very much for this info, it has been most frustrating dealing with fish diseases since the recent changes.

Quick question though, is this an ionic copper solution or chelated? Reason I ask is I have three wrasses ( a carpenters fairy, a yellow coris and a blue stripe cleaner wrasse) who are currently undergoing QT after a near complete tank wipe out. Before I return them to the DT I put them thru your QT procedures (Metro and prazi) but have been waiting on copper till I found an appropriate medication. Is this solution going to be safe for them if I slowly increase the dose over a week? I have a Hanna checker for Cu levels.

Cheers,

North Reef.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Country flag
Quick question though, is this an ionic copper solution or chelated? Reason I ask is I have three wrasses ( a carpenters fairy, a yellow coris and a blue stripe cleaner wrasse) who are currently undergoing QT after a near complete tank wipe out. Before I return them to the DT I put them thru your QT procedures (Metro and prazi) but have been waiting on copper till I found an appropriate medication. Is this solution going to be safe for them if I slowly increase the dose over a week? I have a Hanna checker for Cu levels.
Copper sulfate is closer to ionic copper than chelated. It is "old school copper", which isn't used much anymore (except by wholesalers, public aquariums, research institutions, etc.) It is actually the safest form of copper to use. It just isn't very "hobbyist friendly" due to it's narrow therapeutic range.

mikeintoronto

Country flag
I’ve recently been using this copper solution to treat my fishes (obviously I’m in Canada). It was hard to maintain it at 0.15 to 0.2 in the beginning and I had to keep checking this post over and over again to make sure I was at the right therapeutic level. It’s also easy to overdose; just a couple drops can raise it about 0.05 in a 20 gallon tank.
I don’t know if this is true for other copper meds (since the therapeutic level is higher) but I experienced that the copper level dropped very quickly in the first few days in a new setup - I’m assuming it’s getting adsorbed to my sponge filter - but after that it stabilized. So I didn’t consider the treatment “started” until a day or two after therapeutic was reached, once it stabilized.
I just wanted to share that experience.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Country flag
Yes, it can take copper sulfate a few days to stabilize because the fish metabolizes it. I haven't used it in so long that I had forgotten about that part. A chemist friend of mine uses it exclusively to QT, and says he has much better success than with proprietary copper formulas. In fact, I'm pretty sure he is who shared the formula with me.

Paul B

Country flag
Copper sulfate is closer to ionic copper than chelated. It is "old school copper",
Not really. We used to use copper pennies. 20 pennies to the gallon. Now pennies are no longer made out of copper, now they are probably made out of I phone 4s and VHS tape machines.

Kups

Country flag
How risky is putting fish through copper only and into DT? I'm in Canada too and just starting to stock a new DT. My biggest concern is introducing something that can wipe out the whole tank.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Country flag
How risky is putting fish through copper only and into DT? I'm in Canada too and just starting to stock a new DT. My biggest concern is introducing something that can wipe out the whole tank.
If dosed properly it should keep Ich & velvet out of your DT. But brook, uronema, flukes, turbellarians and bacterial diseases are not treatable with copper. So, I recommend using an observation tank for 2 weeks as a safeguard between your QT and DT.