Do I want Anthias? If so which ones?

Users who are viewing this thread

phatduckk

Country flag
Hi folks,

Looking for some advice on whether or not I should keep Anthias (trio, probably) in my new 180g build. And, if so - which ones do folks recommend, and why?

My goal is to have some colorful, open-water swimmers in the tank - shoaling is a plus.
I have a few fairy wrasses and other smaller fish (Tailspot, Cardinal trio, Possume wrasse etc) so I'd like something non-aggressive.

I want to get a few tangs too - so I don't want Anthias species that get "too big".

What do folks suggest? Everything I've read has been a mixed bag; I'll settle on a species, read more, then change my mind for a variety of reasons.

Thanks!

DexterB

Country flag
I had Bartletts - loved the color but my experience was the dominant female constantly bullied the females. So the females were constantly stressed. The male focused attention on the dominant female but wasn't as aggressive as she was.

I then got Dispars & they were great in temperament. Had a great experience with them.

I like the look of a mix of anthias. Eatbreakfast can tell you which species coexisl peacefullly together.

Miami Reef

Here’s my fish list that @eatbreakfast saw:

Yellow tang
Blue tang
Orange shoulder tang
Naso tang
Foxface
Bellus angel
Lamarck angel
Midas blenny
Redfin wrasse
Clarkii pair
Flame hawkfish fish

Here’s what he said about anthias to me (I asked about adding diversity) :

I would recommend some of the following to add diversity of shape and size:

A group of anthias, probably lyretails or Bartlett based on the fish in there already
Link to full post with the rest of the non anthias suggestions as well:
Will Your Fish Plan Work? Post Here I'm Here To Help.

Dierks

FisHotel Concierge
Quarantined Livestock
Vendor
Country flag
There are a ton of cool ones out there! Also, you don't want the Aggressive ones unless you are doing a lone Anthias (Yes people that is a thing!) But man there are some super cool ones out there that I had no idea was even a thing. The peaceful ones will actually live together and won't pick each other off one by one like Chromis do. (I'm looking at you Lyretails)

Check out the Orange Stripe's - Not sure if they are offered often but man are they cool!

I am getting groups of anthias in now and I am figuring out that I do like SOME of them, other I just don't think they should be even considered.

Dierks

FisHotel Concierge
Quarantined Livestock
Vendor
Country flag
Because of aggression?
Yup, mainly to just each other - they remind me a lot of Chromis when it comes to this. One gets isolated out and then just kind of dies off.... Then it's the next turn until you have the right group that the one male is controlling and is happy with. Until he isn't... It just seems that it's a continuous battle with some aggressive anthias. I just think that MOST of us don't have enough space for some of these more aggressive anthias IMO.

eatbreakfast

Country flag
Even with tangs, larger bodied anthias do fine.

Bimacs are a larger species that can be bold, but hardy.

Lyretails and Bartlett's are hardy, but can be feisty with one another.

Dispars and Randall's are still relatively hardy, but more peaceful with each other.

There are a number of other species that are less available but still around, but can vary greatly in aggression and hardiness.

My bicolors are doing well. Colors have faded somewhat but they really color up when doing their mating dance. They add nice movement when they school as well.
C64FE1C0-E8AF-4C88-B8DC-052112C5237F.jpeg

AcanthurusRex

Country flag
I have had Bimacs and Ignitus. Both seem to whittle their numbers down to basically a pair. This is in an RSR525. Your tank might be big enough to mitigate this trend.
Personality-wise I prefer the Ignitus. Before they mature they would group in an entertaining way. They have little blue eyes. Two transitioned into males and the sub-dominant female just hides all the time while the sub-dominant male lives at the back of the rock work.
I have had the Bimacs for many years now so they are relatively hardy for me. The pair spawn every night. The male is aggressive towards other planktivores, including fairy wrasse but not the Bellus. The Bimacs do not shoal, they sit above their rock evenly spaced across the tank, aside from the male who patrols the tank.

OZ_SPS

Country flag
I love my Anthias. I like the lyertail, sunburst and the Borbonius.
Lyertail school really cool, get a supermarket male(get indo) and 3 to 4 females. Beautiful school

OZ_SPS

Country flag
Are your Lyretail mean? I keep reading that they can be mean
Not at all. They will fend for themself especially the male, but they do not bother other fish

20201222_144904.jpg

I've kept these guys (Pyronotanthias flavvogutatus) the first time i found them pretty hardy, and not overly timid, had them for 3 years the male and sadly lost the female in a power outage. The second time not so much, but i think that was more my fault than the fish, not feeding them enough. If you like something a bit more unusual and peaceful.

All be it im from the UK and diseases and whatnot dont seem as ubiquitous as in the US which may have factored into why i didn't find them too difficult.