Question of the Day Do you have an aggressive fish story?

Users who are viewing this thread

DexterB

Country flag
Have an aggressive fish story? What kind of fish & what actions did you take?

Weird Fish Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Ks4726

Country flag
Not necessarily aggressive, but it's funny this is the question of the day because last night I commented on someone talking about their young trigger. It totally brought me back to that day.

Like 20 years I had this small niger trigger. It was my first trigger ever. Like 2/3 inches when I got it Model citizen. Had it with damsels and other community fish. Months go by, and it starts growing. My tank at the time was right next to my bed. One morning I woke up and turned over like every other morning. My eyes were still half shut. I'm looking at the tank which the lights weren't turned on yet. I notice this trigger is swimming laps around the tank up at the top like a dog in a fenced in yard. I think to myself....what's it doing??? So I open my eyes a little bit more and then I see it. This trigger has a blue damsel in its mouth, not eating or tearing it apart, but just using it as a chew toy just doing laps around the tank. At this point I'm like WT🦆. I jump up in a panic and I'm only in a pair of boxers. I remember throwing glass canopies off, ripping my cabinet apart looking for my net, flipping out trying to save this poor damsel. And you know how the net approach went with a tank full of rock. So before I known it I'm ripping out the rock too. It was such a fiasco.

Eventually I saved this fish. I dont remember what happened to the trigger, but the damsel recovered. It did have a deformed back that always had a indentation, but still lived for many years. But whenever I looked at that fish, I always remembered that trigger. At the time it wasn't funny, but now when I tell this story I'm laughing because I'll never forget it. Like I commented last night....triggers come down to the individual but a trigger is a trigger. It's just a matter of when it's gonna do what it wants to do.

saf1

Country flag
I had this Lavander Tang for a couple years who was a pretty decent tank citizen. Didn't really care about anyone in there be it an Azure damsel, Pajama cardinal, Scopas Tang, until I introduced a Copperband. Next morning after lights on it went on a killing spree. Or tried to. No fish was safe especially the Copperband and it was relentless in its attack. And fast - that fish could get from A to B in a split second. So bad that the fish started wedge themselves in nooks and crannies within the rocks and ignoring its own self inflicted harm. About the only good news is that the Lavander had a favorite food so it was easy to trap and place in an acclimation box. I capture it, leave in the acclimation box for 48 hours, and wait for the next morning low light to release. Nope - back to aggression and attempted murder so I had to catch and rehome at LFS.

A bit bummed because it changed over night and I have no idea why. I did introduce the Copperband but no idea why that was the trigger. Had amazing color as I fed it natural macro algae a couple times a week and it had a deep lavander/purple flare with darker edges. Was growing somewhat reasonable and had an amazing tail. Ironically enough my daughter was visiting and right away noticed it was missing. She then passes that information on to her mother who then in turn questions what happened and how that was her favorite fish.

The kicker was them asking me why I didn't capture the Copperband and see if the Lavander went back to normal...

One time I watched as a Niger Trigger & Panther Grouper worked together to ambush a Picasso Trigger. Or at least it seemed that way to me. The Niger chased the Picasso through a cave, where the Panther was waiting just below the exit of the cave. As the Picasso exited the cave, the Panther lunged and ripped his entire stomach out. :eek:

Ks4726

Country flag
One time I watched as a Niger Trigger & Panther Grouper worked together to ambush a Picasso Trigger. Or at least it seemed that way to me. The Niger chased the Picasso through a cave, where the Panther was waiting just below the exit of the cave. As the Picasso exited the cave, the Panther lunged and ripped his entire stomach out. :eek:
See now we are gonna hear the outta this world fish stories . I dont even know what I'd do if I witnessed such a thing.

Vwd

Country flag
Years ago we had a customer that order a male queen trigger. It was about 5 or 6 inches when it arrived. Then the customer decided he didn’t want it. I took it and put in my 240 . Has an snowflake eel and damsels. And a few other triggers. He lived peacefully for pretty long time with everyone. But then became a serial killer. Taking everything out one by one. He ended up living his final days in d solitary confinement. Mean as hell and past away after eating a giant hermit shell and all. It got stuck in his intestines. 14 inches when he passed. To this day it’s still one of my favorite fish.
3D96173D-1A19-4F16-91FF-69EF2EE59D82.jpeg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
Country flag
Frickin stupid female clown keeps biting me between my fingers even drawing blood sometimes! 😠
I keep my hand out of her tank. :cautious:

Country flag
I had a pixie hawk fish that was very aggressive.

I had read that they would eat ornamental shrimp that could fit in its mouth which I incorrectly assumed was referring to smaller shrimp like sexy shrimp.

But I was wrong, within 1-2 days of adding the hawk fish my large cleaner shrimp was dead and I walked out to see my tank in the morning and the hawk fish was continuing to nip at the shrimp.

At that point I figured I had 🦆’d up with the shrimp warning but it seemed like it was fine with my other fish, just a bit territorial.

The next morning I walked out and saw that the hawk fish had somehow killed a banggai. I believe it charged the banggai and it got pulled too close to the power head because I found it on the power head intake…

I set up a secondary tank and started to remove the fish. I ultimately had to remove all the fish besides the hawk fish and once it was the last fish in the display I was able to bait it into an acclimation box

Fortunately I was able to rehome the hawk fish with @Jessican and they had the hawk fish with Ralph the mantis shrimp and I’ll link a video of them together below.

It was a very pretty but aggressive fish:

1186387B-24A6-4AF3-9FFB-DF0515465679.jpeg

DexterB

Country flag
I had a pixie hawk fish that was very aggressive.

I had read that they would eat ornamental shrimp that could fit in its mouth which I incorrectly assumed was referring to smaller shrimp like sexy shrimp.

But I was wrong, within 1-2 days of adding the hawk fish my large cleaner shrimp was dead and I walked out to see my tank in the morning and the hawk fish was continuing to nip at the shrimp.

At that point I figured I had 🦆’d up with the shrimp warning but it seemed like it was fine with my other fish, just a bit territorial.

The next morning I walked out and saw that the hawk fish had somehow killed a banggai. I believe it charged the banggai and it got pulled too close to the power head because I found it on the power head intake…

I set up a secondary tank and started to remove the fish. I ultimately had to remove all the fish besides the hawk fish and once it was the last fish in the display I was able to bait it into an acclimation box

Fortunately I was able to rehome the hawk fish with @Jessican and they had the hawk fish with Ralph the mantis shrimp and I’ll link a video of them together below.

It was a very pretty but aggressive fish:

View attachment 82204

Hate that he terrorized your tank. I had to rehome a Bristletooth that was villainous in my tank.
But I loved reading the updates on the Pixy in Jessica’s tank. He was a character. In the tank with the mantis shrimp, he just had “moxie”.

I had a Pixy Hawk for a long time in a past tank. He was super gentle, so I was fortunate.
My Bristletooth was a nightmare though. I warned the LFS to rehome him carefully. A doctor’s office bought him & had him with more intimidating tankmates to keep him in line.

Ks4726

Country flag
And this other time in band camp, I had a purple tang for like 6 or 7 years. I always had a side dream at the time to have 3 yellow tangs. I always heard of a tangs mean streak, but never witnessed it first hand. So I bought the trio of yellows. I figured well there is 3 of them so the purple won't do anything. Yeah right. That purple whipped all 3 of those yellow tangs behind all over the tank. It was relentless. Like a ninja. It was ugly. I actually gave the purple to a friend.

This was a few years ago, but I suspect Jack Blenny was the guilty party in the overnight deaths of 2 royal grammas and 2 six-line wrasses I tried (none at the same time) adding to my 55 gallon reef. I'm pretty sure Jack considered all the rockwork his, except the coral banded shrimp overhang.
P1140174.JPG

saf1

Country flag
This was a few years ago, but I suspect Jack Blenny was the guilty party in the overnight deaths of 2 royal grammas and 2 six-line wrasses I tried (none at the same time) adding to my 55 gallon reef. I'm pretty sure Jack considered all the rockwork his, except the coral banded shrimp overhang.
View attachment 82245

• Six line - pretty fish.
  • You had two - most hobbyist balk at one.
  • Nice photo!

Lachri

Country flag
My very first fish back in 1995 were two clowns. The love they had for each other was only matched by the hate they had for EVERY OTHER THING IN THE WORLD. Water changes were...fun. I finally had to keep a net in one hand chasing the male away from me while I worked with the other. I had a sailfin tang with them. Before I upgraded the tank it was just the 3 of them and they removed most of his sails. Never in front of me though so it took me a while to figure out what was happening. The fins healed, but never grew back either. Luckily when I upgraded and there were other fish in the tank they sort of calmed down. Nasty creatures.

The clowns I have now are not mean at all (besides occasionally bickering with each other). My citron goby picks on my male. Actually, that citron pushes everyone around. I don't know why no one kicks his butt. He doesn't want ANYONE near the food door. The food is his. Only his. Anyway, back to the clownfish, I suspect the inbreeding to get their colors (helmeted picasso and a black storm) worked similar to the white tiger mess where they're so mentally disabled that they're almost docile. These two really are NOTHING like the wild caught pair I had all those years ago. I like my calm fancy derp clowns better.