Dosing Erythromycin for cyano

Dexter_SA

Country flag
Not sure if this the right place to post a thread. I want to know if anyone used Erythromycin to eradicate cyano. I believe from fellow reefers it can be used but i am not sure of the dosage. If anyone has experience please share

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Country flag
Erythromycin is the old active ingredient found in Chemiclean, so it should work as well as that ever did. I've seen knowledgable people on RC recommend this:

With API Erythromycin, I'd start at 1/4 of the recommended dosage, and re-treat the tank at 3 day intervals for a total of 10 days. The addition every 3 days is to keep the water concentration up, as erythro is easily broken down by biological and chemical processes in the tank. You'll also need to shut down the skimmer. I would try a couple of 15-20% changes after the slime dies, which might only take a few hours.

Idoc

Country flag
I've had a terrible green cyano outbreak for months since fighting off a dino infestation. I was about at wits end in dealing with the cyano...weekly deep siphoning of the sheets from all the rocks, sand, etc... only for it to return to it's ugly form in about 3 days! I really didn't want to go to chemiclean or other chemicals since this is also known to spur dino outbreaks!

But, I think I have finally turned the tide...so far, 1 week without new cyano growth on the sand...which was the first place it started in my tank. I'm not sure exactly what caused the reduction since I did make a few changes at the same time...not really to deal with the cyano, but it seems to have had a good result.

I hadn't tested my no3/po4 for awhile and decided to check it out (approx. 1 month since testing). My no3 had gone from 10ppm to around 30ppm, my po4 went from 0.1ppm to 0.250ppm! During this time, I had changed foods...so maybe that was the cause of the po4 jump. But, I put a small amount of phosguard in a bag to attempt to bring down the po4 slowly...still haven't tested to see where it is currently, but that is on the agenda for this weekend. I also blew all the rocks clean and siphoned out all the cyano off the rocks, performed a 15% water change with sand siphoning, and started dosing 1mL/10g H2O2 daily (sometimes twice a day). This week...cyano gone! I don't think it was the water changes and siphoning cyano from the rocks since I was regularly doing this previously. Also, my cyano was terrible even when the po4 was below 0.1ppm.

So, I really think the answer that helped was the H2O2 dosing!

Dexter_SA

Country flag
Thanks for the replies guys. Went to the pharmacy today to get the Erythromycin and was given something called Alkoxime. They told me it's the same as Erythromycin. Now to figure out if it will work. What I read so far is it targets gram positive and gram negative bacteria. I believe cyano is gram negative.

Idoc

Country flag
I spoke too soon...my green cyano is starting back slowly, lol. Shoot, I thought I was finally over the hump!

mggray87

Dino man
Country flag
I used chemiclean. Worked great. Battling bryopsis now. And using vibrant. My cyano was green. Not red. Now using vibrant and battling bryopsis I got a little red cyano on corners on sand. .but I think it will go away after tapering down from vibrant. Rather.have cyano than bryopsis

Dexter_SA

Country flag
@Humblefish do you perhaps have a reference on how much Erythromycin to dose? I managed to get Erythromycin instead of the stuff above. I have a 750l tank. I tried looking on other forums but nowere can can I find a dose.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Country flag
@Humblefish do you perhaps have a reference on how much Erythromycin to dose? I managed to get Erythromycin instead of the stuff above. I have a 750l tank. I tried looking on other forums but nowere can can I find a dose.
The fish dosage range is 3.3 - 6.6 mg/L every 24 hours with a 25% water change before each treatment. Treat for 10 days.