Ethical Aquatics Interview

Users who are viewing this thread

Country flag
good listen

on the personal relationship type thing, as a consumer i like that part as well. i like buying fish that i feel like has been taken care of already. jake adams uses the term used fish, and to me that's just a fish that is used to being in a home aquarium and used to being fed by a human. i qted a lot of my own stuff for awhile and then when i ordered a bunch of anthias from tsm, it was such a stark difference. fish just behave differently (better) and bypassing the headache of getting a fish eating is worth it as well

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
Country flag
The other part of the problem for a consumer / hobbyist up in Canada is our federal government has made almost all medications for fish disease now require a veterinary script, or .. well, other methods of purchase.

It's not simply easy to DIY quarantine any longer like it would have been three years ago, now for many it's buy fish from LFS and.. you have nothing but hypo salinity to really treat anything with, easily at least.

I try and persuade people to give the QT vendors a shot, because the worst that happens is they go back to playing fish disease Russian roulette through the local stores.

Not only is it harder to get meds but certain vets actively try to prevent hobbyists from obtaining meds that don’t come from vets.

I know shops that still sell antibiotics, copper, and prazipro but unfortunately other hobbyists in the Toronto area may never know because Dr. Someone would see about changing that if they found out.

Not good for the hobby.

EAChris

Quarantined Livestock
Vendor
Country flag
good listen

on the personal relationship type thing, as a consumer i like that part as well. i like buying fish that i feel like has been taken care of already. jake adams uses the term used fish, and to me that's just a fish that is used to being in a home aquarium and used to being fed by a human. i qted a lot of my own stuff for awhile and then when i ordered a bunch of anthias from tsm, it was such a stark difference. fish just behave differently (better) and bypassing the headache of getting a fish eating is worth it as well

This is the fish I was thinking of. I'm gonna miss this bug eyed Dusky Fairy Wrasse. He comes to see me every time I go near that tank.

PXL_20210822_012420155.MP~3.jpg

EAChris

Quarantined Livestock
Vendor
Country flag
The other part of the problem for a consumer / hobbyist up in Canada is our federal government has made almost all medications for fish disease now require a veterinary script, or .. well, other methods of purchase.

It's not simply easy to DIY quarantine any longer like it would have been three years ago, now for many it's buy fish from LFS and.. you have nothing but hypo salinity to really treat anything with, easily at least.

I try and persuade people to give the QT vendors a shot, because the worst that happens is they go back to playing fish disease Russian roulette through the local stores.

Not only is it harder to get meds but certain vets actively try to prevent hobbyists from obtaining meds that don’t come from vets.

I know shops that still sell antibiotics, copper, and prazipro but unfortunately other hobbyists in the Toronto area may never know because Dr. Someone would see about changing that if they found out.

Not good for the hobby.

It is so unfortunate that we were roped into whatever was the reason for the ban. I get asked all the time if sell meds but it's just not a risk I can take.

@Humblefish and @Jessican's work with peroxide has been extremely helpful for us in Canada. Hopefully more treatments will be found with OTC products.

When I first tried to get Cipro the vet wanted me to bag up and bring in a very sick anemone which would definitely have caused more harm to it and it's just simply an unreasonable request. I also had a client who brought in a dead clownfish that the vet diagnosed with ich and prescribed 3 doses of formalin 48 hrs apart. Clearly he was up to speed on how to handle that parasite.

There is a silver lining though. With Covid forcing everything online, we are more likely to find a vet that will do a virtual exam without having to cause massive amounts of stress to an already stressed animal.

andrewkw

Country flag
I will check out the interview tomorrow! Something to look forward to after my first trip in almost 2 years.

It is so unfortunate that we were roped into whatever was the reason for the ban. I get asked all the time if sell meds but it's just not a risk I can take.

@Humblefish and @Jessican's work with peroxide has been extremely helpful for us in Canada. Hopefully more treatments will be found with OTC products.

When I first tried to get Cipro the vet wanted me to bag up and bring in a very sick anemone which would definitely have caused more harm to it and it's just simply an unreasonable request. I also had a client who brought in a dead clownfish that the vet diagnosed with ich and prescribed 3 doses of formalin 48 hrs apart. Clearly he was up to speed on how to handle that parasite.

There is a silver lining though. With Covid forcing everything online, we are more likely to find a vet that will do a virtual exam without having to cause massive amounts of stress to an already stressed animal.
From what I understand it was vets who lobbied for the ban. There’s a well researched Canadian guy (who all Canadian hobbyists likely know) who has his sticky fingers in all the bowls and shares his intel when he chats. Next time I go that way I might ask more about it.

EAChris

Quarantined Livestock
Vendor
Country flag
From what I understand it was vets who lobbied for the ban. There’s a well researched Canadian guy (who all Canadian hobbyists likely know) who has his sticky fingers in all the bowls and shares his intel when he chats. Next time I go that way I might ask more about it.

I emailed the Veterinary Drugs Directorate which is a division of Health Canada about copper and nitrofurazone a while back and the reason they gave me was that none of the meds had been submitted for testing by Health Canada for safety same therefore did not have a Drug Identification Number so they are not permitted for sale.
This pertained to meds that were not already prescription only.

It would make sense that a vet association would take this approach to having meds banned.

Last edited:

andrewkw

Country flag
I think it would make more sense if there were more fish vets but there aren't.

As for the video great job on both ends!

I will eventually place an order with you Chris, both to support your business and since I did win that $50 credit :) Right now I don't have any immediate needs though.

You mentioned gigantae's. Do you ever come across blue ones? I realize that will be pricey but depending on how pricey I may be interested. I may just order some fish I don't personally want to QT even though I actually don't mind doing it, particularly as I have medications rapidly approaching their expiration date that I stocked up on thinking the ban would only last a year or so and it would get worked out...

EAChris

Quarantined Livestock
Vendor
Country flag
I think it would make more sense if there were more fish vets but there aren't.

As for the video great job on both ends!

I will eventually place an order with you Chris, both to support your business and since I did win that $50 credit :) Right now I don't have any immediate needs though.

You mentioned gigantae's. Do you ever come across blue ones? I realize that will be pricey but depending on how pricey I may be interested. I may just order some fish I don't personally want to QT even though I actually don't mind doing it, particularly as I have medications rapidly approaching their expiration date that I stocked up on thinking the ban would only last a year or so and it would get worked out...

Thanks for the kind words!

Your credit never expires so feel free to take as long as you need.

I actually just had a blue one that was about 6" across. It was purple under white lights but turned to a really nice blue colour under reef lights. I can keep an eye out for you and let you know if I see one.