POTM February/March POTM Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Subject: Any aquarium related picture

Entries to be accepted until March 20 at 9pm est

We are going to be doing something a little different, instead of the winner being chosen by most likes etc on a voting thread, the winner will be randomly selected by the spin of a wheel.

Thank you to our Sponsor @Premiumaq

SPONSOR: Premium Aquatics
Winner receives a $50 gift card

History of Premium Aquatics:
Premium Aquatics is a family owned and operated aquarium business. We have been in business since April 1996 and we are dedicated to serving the aquarium hobbyist. We were one of the first online saltwater stores, if not the very first. We started this business in a 10x12 room in our house, then expanded to a 600sq foot detached garage. Now we have moved into a 10,000 sq foot commercial warehouse. Although we did sell the best live rock and livestock for many years, now we only sell product and supplies, along with some unique selections of dry live rocks.

Mission Statement
To bring you the highest quality aquarium products available and at a reasonable price and to provide honest non-bias information on all of our products and our competitors. Our goal is customer satisfaction, we want your return business.

DexterB

Country flag
C'mon - you can't get a broader topic range than this!
Everyone submit a pic!
20230120_165302~3.jpg

How long have you had the "sea biscuit?" I've always heard they are short lived, but very few have actual experience keeping one.
His name is Cookie and he’s a Goniaster Tessellatus. Going on 8 months and he even survived a tank crash. Unfortunately most people don’t do the proper research and/or don’t target feed stars which leads to them dying.

Last edited:

Jposch

Leather Lover
General Livestock
Vendor
Country flag
His name his Cookie and he’s a Goniaster Tessellatus. Going on 8 months and he even survived a tank crash. Unfortunately most people don’t do the proper research and/or don’t target feed stars which leads to them dying.
Well, there are plenty of species of stars that just can't be kept no matter what. Glad to hear yours is doing well. I miss my brittle star. He climbed into the overflow and has been there for almost 2 years. Must be eating plenty since he won't come back out and I see him sometimes when I feed the tank

Well, there are plenty of species of stars that just can't be kept no matter what. Glad to hear yours is doing well. I miss my brittle star. He climbed into the overflow and has been there for almost 2 years. Must be eating plenty since he won't come back out and I see him sometimes when I feed the tank
True. Some species in this hobby are better left in the ocean. Like feather stars and octopus two species that I think should not be kept in captivity. We physically can’t meet feather stars dietary requirements and octopus are too smart to be kept in a small glass box imo. Other stars like linckia and many species of fromia can/have been known to do well is super big and established tanks with experienced aquarists they are just super difficult to keep and super sensitive to parameter swings and high nutrients. Can you get a pair of tweezers or a net and gently pull him out?

Jposch

Leather Lover
General Livestock
Vendor
Country flag
True. Some species in this hobby are better left in the ocean. Like feather stars and octopus two species that I think should not be kept in captivity. We physically can’t meet feather stars dietary requirements and octopus are too smart to be kept in a small glass box imo. Other stars like linckia and many species of fromia can/have been known to do well is super big and established tanks with experienced aquarists they are just super difficult to keep and super sensitive to parameter swings and high nutrients. Can you get a pair of tweezers or a net and gently pull him out?
It's a dou le layer vertical overflow, and he's between the layers. I fear I'll just end up tearing off a leg. My serpent star took over a year to grow back a missing leg.