Feeding meds using a syringe

NobleReef

I have an exquisite wrasse in Qt right now along with a Bangai. Neither is eating, the Bangai will but its like one piece once a day. I am doing TTM and the last transfer is scheduled for tomorrow. The wrasse is the problem as he seems to have an internal parasite/worm. He has stringy white poop, well not so much stringy just white. I have tried to feed the medicated food using both meaty and pellet foods. He eats and spits it out. Yesterday and today, he's not even interested. I did dose the tank with 1 teaspoon of Epsom salt and GC. He (the pain in my wrasse) is laying on his side in a bent shape, sort of like he's having a spasm. Honestly it appears he's trying to poop. There is a nice size piece of something hanging out of his rectum, white in color. He has lost some size since bringing him home from the LFS.
My question is, have anyone tried to manually inject meds into a fish that refuses to eat? Can it be done and if so what are the steps I should take? Is it safe fr them?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
From alprazo:
You want a medium sedation - I use 25 ppm of Finquel aka MS-222 or tricaine. I will create a post for fish sedation one of these days. In short it is based on dose, temp, duration in the bath, and thickness of the gill membranes. Smaller fish tend to respond faster, but 25 ppm is about right for this procedure. My water temp was 70F.

Once fish it out, insert tube and inject food, meds, whatever. It took around 18s in the video. I have been using pulverized shad roe. I've also tried soaked flakes with the same results.

Place fish into clean water and create movement over gills.

Then fish goes back to tank.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
That’s seems easy enough but where can you get syringe from? Is that a special size syringe?
1cc disposable. Pipettes or angiocaths. They are the tube that gets inserted into a vein for an IV. They are soft, but semi rigid and come in different sizes.

Also, could I give him straight metroplex in RO water?
I would mix it in with shad roe (for example); following the recipe below:

1 scoop (~ 1/8 teaspoon) of Metroplex
1 scoop Seachem Focus (to bind it)
1 Tbsp food (preferably roe, calanus or some other easy to swallow food)
A few drops of saltwater or fish vitamins
Stir until a medicated food slurry has been achieved.
Feed after soaking for 30 mins.
Refrigerate or freeze any leftovers for future use.
You can feed this mix 1-2 times per day. Not recommend to exceed 2 feedings per day with medicated food.

Idoc

1cc disposable. Pipettes or angiocaths. They are the tube that gets inserted into a vein for an IV. They are soft, but semi rigid and come in different sizes.

I would mix it in with shad roe (for example); following the recipe below:

1 scoop (~ 1/8 teaspoon) of Metroplex
1 scoop Seachem Focus (to bind it)
1 Tbsp food (preferably roe, calanus or some other easy to swallow food)
A few drops of saltwater or fish vitamins
Stir until a medicated food slurry has been achieved.
Feed after soaking for 30 mins.
Refrigerate or freeze any leftovers for future use.
You can feed this mix 1-2 times per day. Not recommend to exceed 2 feedings per day with medicated food.
Do you need to do this 2 times per day for 10-14 day? Meaning does the fish have to be caught and sedated that often? Or, with such a strong, directly applied medicated dose will a single treatment suffice?

Also, the Focus is used to bind the medication to the fish food while in water so it doesn't just "wash away". Can't the focus be left out since the medicated food is being injected directly into the fish's gut?

I attempted force feeding for a leopard wrasse, but didn't sedate first....I tried a regular pipette, but it was too large to enter her stomach. The IV catheter tubing sounds like a good idea.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Do you need to do this 2 times per day for 10-14 day? Meaning does the fish have to be caught and sedated that often? Or, with such a strong, directly applied medicated dose will a single treatment suffice?
I think once a day should suffice. I have even only done it every other day when I notice a particular fish takes a long time to come out of the anesthesia. Which BTW, can be found here: https://pentairaes.com/tricainer-s-topical-anesthetics-ms-222.html

There is also a Treatment Calculator spreadsheet you can download near the bottom of that page.