Fish stock list help?

PedroYoung1969

I'm an experienced reef keeper (15+ yrs), but have spent much more time and energy (and $$$) on corals than fish. After several visits to WWC in Orlando I've come to appreciate the aesthetic value that a well stocked fish population adds to the tank (not to mention the nutrients). I'm in the process of building out a 200G reef tank and wondered if @Humblefish, in addition to supplying great livestock, would also have input on when to add what species (which first, middle and last) as well. I'm a frequent traveler to the panhandle for business (out of B'ham area) and am ecstatic to have such a great source for quality marine fish in the backyard. I foresee a long a fruitful relationship...............

PedroYoung1969

Hi Pedro -

:welcome:

What kind of DT is this 200 gal going to be? SPS with high flow? LPS/softies??

I am going to be taking a break from QTing fish over the holidays, but we have 2 other great vendors who also sell QT/conditioned fish: https://humble.fish/community/index.php?forums/#vendor-forums.30
Thanks for the welcome, thrilled to be on the forum. It's going to be high-ish flow (4 MP40's in 6'x2'x28" tank). This is a sloooooooow build (started the build thread on R2R 2 yrs ago), but getting closer all the time. Prob won't be getting it wet till after the holidays, then prob another couple months before fish. I'm just trying to think ahead to
1-plan out what fish I want to end up with, and
2- What is the logical sequence to add them

I will have a mix of SPS and LPS with some Zoa/Paly. I have a couple hundred pounds of Fiji live rock (the last Walt Smith air freight shipment that went out) that's been curing since Feb 2018 :oops:. I have some vague ideas of what I want (Tang gang (purple. Kole, Naso etc), Pyramid Butterfly group, some other schooling type (Anthias?), Regal Angel, some hawkfish). I tend to like starting with smaller specimens and letting them grow into the tank as long as they aren't less likely to survive than a larger specimen.

This is my Big Boy dream tank and I made a decision to do everything the "right way" on it, including quarantining livestock (due in large part to reading your advice with 4FordFamily on R2R). My problem is that I travel for work every couple of weeks and I won't be able to give the amount of attention required to ensure proper care and survival of these creatures during medication. Pre-quarantined fish is the perfect solution to my dilemma. Yay!!

I've got some time, Maybe next time I'm in Pensacola area I can treat you to a coffee or beer and we can come up with a sound strategy.

Peter

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
You definitely want the tangs to go in last, as they are typically more aggressive to any newcomers.

Schooling Heniochus and Pyramid Butterflies are both reef safe and usually work in groups of 2 or 3; although I just had my first big fight with the latter that I thought were getting along fine. :rolleyes: Chromis are another good schooling fish.

Anthias can be tough to QT. I've had best success with Lyretails, Squarebacks, Bimacs, Bartlett's and Ignitus. Any of the deep-water species are just a nightmare as they often come loaded with internal flagellates that I can't always eradicate in time. All anthias require 3-4x daily feedings (high metabolism fish), so unless you're home all day you'll need to use an auto feeder to drop pellets in at least 2x daily.

And finally I would look through this list of reef safe wrasses: https://www.liveaquaria.com/category/1378/wrasse-reef-safe

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much I'll be able to help you with fish because we are moving away from Florida sometime in 2020. And it will take me some time to get setup at the next location. :( However, there are the 2 other vendors on here, and there's also a local guy here on the Panhandle who is thinking of selling QT fish after I am gone.

huff747

Just saying St Louis’s airport is a port of entry and the airport doesn’t totally suck to get to which can’t be said about all of them. Use to go to the cargo area regularly in a previous life.

Centrally located to reduce your shipping distances. Winters aren’t awful.

mggray87

well unfortunately i will not suggest SFO. or CA in general. born and raised here. CA deserves to break and float away.... I cant wait to retire and take my SF city and county retirement elsewhere... only a couple years away.... 23 years LOL!

PedroYoung1969

You definitely want the tangs to go in last, as they are typically more aggressive to any newcomers.

Schooling Heniochus and Pyramid Butterflies are both reef safe and usually work in groups of 2 or 3; although I just had my first big fight with the latter that I thought were getting along fine. :rolleyes: Chromis are another good schooling fish.

Anthias can be tough to QT. I've had best success with Lyretails, Squarebacks, Bimacs, Bartlett's and Ignitus. Any of the deep-water species are just a nightmare as they often come loaded with internal flagellates that I can't always eradicate in time. All anthias require 3-4x daily feedings (high metabolism fish), so unless you're home all day you'll need to use an auto feeder to drop pellets in at least 2x daily.

And finally I would look through this list of reef safe wrasses: https://www.liveaquaria.com/category/1378/wrasse-reef-safe

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much I'll be able to help you with fish because we are moving away from Florida sometime in 2020. And it will take me some time to get setup at the next location. :( However, there are the 2 other vendors on here, and there's also a local guy here on the Panhandle who is thinking of selling QT fish after I am gone.
Sigh, just when I thought I'd hit the jackpot :(. Well,it just means I won't be able to pick the fish up locally, but could still use you for shipped fish.

PedroYoung1969

Just saying St Louis’s airport is a port of entry and the airport doesn’t totally suck to get to which can’t be said about all of them. Use to go to the cargo area regularly in a previous life.

Centrally located to reduce your shipping distances. Winters aren’t awful.
Haha, I just started laughing when I read "winters aren't awful". Keep in mind he's in the FL Panhandle where "winters aren't at all". :)

phatduckk

well unfortunately i will not suggest SFO. or CA in general. born and raised here. CA deserves to break and float away.... I cant wait to retire and take my SF city and county retirement elsewhere... only a couple years away.... 23 years LOL!
You're in SFO? Im in San Mateo!