Fish suggestions

phatduckk

Country flag
Hi folks,

It kinda feels silly even thinking about this during the current stuff going on but hobbies are probably one of the few things helping me keep sane :)

So my tank currently has 4 small fish in it and I I'd like to add a few more soon (with QT soon is about a month or so away). Here's the vitals:
  • Tank: 4ft long (kinda shallow so display is like 75g)
  • Goal: Mixed reef (coral, snails, shrimp, urchin etc)
  • Current fish: 2 clownfish & 1 royal gramma from @Dr.Reef - one blotches anthias from @baybridgeaquarium
  • On the way: 1 rhomboid wrasse from my VIP dealer @Dr.Reef (honestly an awesome dude)
Here's the fish I've been considering. Some of my "ideal" combinations (as far as looks etc) won't work out well in terms of territory & aggression. So - suggest some fish to me.

My goal is to have a colorful & relatively peaceful tank w/ a bonus if a few of the fish can help w/ algae control

Fish I'm considering:
  • tailspot blenny
  • lawnmower blenny
  • white tail tang (would hate the blennies)
  • gem/yellow/purple tang (tank size is borderline)
  • pink streaked wrasse
  • yellow wrasse
  • Dracula goby (or some goby w/ a shrimp pair)
  • Bella goby
  • the schooling bannerfish @Dierks has (again, is tank big enough? width is fine but short on gallons)
  • flame hawk or long nose hawk
  • some butterfly fish (reef safety is an issue)
  • Bellus angel
  • Watanabe angel
  • flame angel (maybe not reef safe enough)
  • Bluespot jawfish
  • swiss guard
  • mandarin (way later when I can actually see a healthy pod population)
  • helfrichi firefish
So its a huge list - I'm open to any other suggestions. For some reason i'm hell bent on a tang but maybe I need to get over that...

I have 1/2 the mind to try and QT one or two myself but my preference is to work the vendors here. I also have given thought to acclimating a couple mollies as part of my algae control crew.

I dunno - this is all a ramble. I pretty much need a reef tank interior decorator as i'm too undeceive. send help :p

mattzang

Country flag
halichoeres chrysus is an awesome fish, totally peaceful and helps with coral pests. can't beat the bright yellow too

what kind of corals do you have/want? if you're into zoas, acans, meaty LPS, stuff like that you might want to avoid the reef safe with caution type fish

phatduckk

Country flag
halichoeres chrysus is an awesome fish, totally peaceful and helps with coral pests. can't beat the bright yellow too

what kind of corals do you have/want? if you're into zoas, acans, meaty LPS, stuff like that you might want to avoid the reef safe with caution type fish
I am indeed an LPs fan and would rather have “highly likely to be coral safe” fish. Feather dusters etc that I never added on purpose I’m less concerned about

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Country flag
The Flame is fine, but I wouldn't put a Bellus/Watanabe in a tank that small. A Schooling Bannerfish will eventually outgrow your tank as well, but that will take years. (Angelfish grow faster than butterflyfish.)

Any tangs you add I would put in last to mitigate aggression towards other fish. One of the "Bristletooth Tangs" from the Ctenochaetus genus would be best suited for a 75 gal. Tomini, Kole, Two Spot or Squaretail.

DexterB

Country flag
Some from your list that personally love are:
  • Pink streaked wrasse
  • Bella goby - beautiful fish. I’m about to add 2 to my tank! I enjoy fish that do different activities in the tank. I don’t have corals on my sandbed. So you might want to ask others if the sifting scatters sand on sandbed corals like Scolies.
  • Flame Angel
  • Butterfly - CBB is my favorite. They imprint on their owners.
  • Hawkfish- I will always have a hawkfish! I’ve had Longnose & Flame. Both have been great to tankmates & fun to watch.
  • Mandarin & Helfrichi - no other fish have the gorgeous coloration that these 2 fish have.

phatduckk

Country flag
Some from your list that personally love are:
  • Pink streaked wrasse
  • Bella goby - beautiful fish. I’m about to add 2 to my tank! I enjoy fish that do different activities in the tank. I don’t have corals on my sandbed. So you might want to ask others if the sifting scatters sand on sandbed corals like Scolies.
  • Flame Angel
  • Butterfly - CBB is my favorite. They imprint on their owners.
  • Hawkfish- I will always have a hawkfish! I’ve had Longnose & Flame. Both have been great to tankmates & fun to watch.
  • Mandarin & Helfrichi - no other fish have the gorgeous coloration that these 2 fish have.
How reef safe are the Flame Angels? I've heard they're essentially a gamble. Also CBB seems cool but I hear their survival rate isn't very good

DexterB

Country flag
I'm stocking coral using suggestions according to video @mattzang posted.
Dwarf angels can be a risk. It doesn't matter how much you feed - it is more up to the individual fish & the corals in the tank. I’ve talked to owners who have dwarfs that don't nip & others that do.
Zoas are very enticing to angels. I don't have zoas. My 5 dwarf angels have left all my corals alone. Now that might change one day. I have goniporas, pipe organ & soft corals (no fleshy LPS) - like the video mentions. If they do nip one day, I will just rehome corals they bother.

I read an interesting post once by a fish expert, that said he had actually rehomed many tangs for coral nipping.

I got my CBB from Bobby. He did the QT work. Once through QT they are hardy & can live long lives. They are deliberate eaters. So if you place a CBB in with greedy/dominant fish they can be outcompeted to eat enough to thrive. CBB are very peaceful, so establish them before a tang or angel.

One thing that really helped me to watch videos of fish I was considering. In a video you see a flame hawk’s google eyes roll around & see the unique swimming pattern. At LFS you have to be able to see fish in real tanks (not holding tanks) to observe their natural behaviors.
I had a Gem tang, Whitetail & Blonde Naso in my previous tank. I actually prefer my tank now, so much more with my angels/butterflies. It’s a subjective thing. We enjoy their slower more relaxed swimming patterns much more. We do have a Blonde Naso, but naturally he is very chill.

Will be following to see the suggestions you receive. 🙂

mattzang

Country flag
How reef safe are the Flame Angels? I've heard they're essentially a gamble. Also CBB seems cool but I hear their survival rate isn't very good
IMG_0677.JPG

i have mine with euphyllia, some softies toadstool GSP shrooms kenya tree etc, favia, pectinia, cyphastrea, goni things like that and he leaves them alone. but i don't have super meaty corals. i do have some zoas that he leaves alone, but can't say i'm going to drop big money on those as there's always a risk he decides they're delicious

totes worth as angels/butterflies are the prettiest fish imo

phatduckk

Country flag
I'm stocking coral using suggestions according to video @mattzang posted.
Dwarf angels can be a risk. It doesn't matter how much you feed - it is more up to the individual fish & the corals in the tank. I’ve talked to owners who have dwarfs that don't nip & others that do.
Zoas are very enticing to angels. I don't have zoas. My 5 dwarf angels have left all my corals alone. Now that might change one day. I have goniporas, pipe organ & soft corals (no fleshy LPS) - like the video mentions. If they do nip one day, I will just rehome corals they bother.

I read an interesting post once by a fish expert, that said he had actually rehomed many tangs for coral nipping.

I got my CBB from Bobby. He did the QT work. Once through QT they are hardy & can live long lives. They are deliberate eaters. So if you place a CBB in with greedy/dominant fish they can be outcompeted to eat enough to thrive. CBB are very peaceful, so establish them before a tang or angel.

One thing that really helped me to watch videos of fish I was considering. In a video you see a flame hawk’s google eyes roll around & see the unique swimming pattern. At LFS you have to be able to see fish in real tanks (not holding tanks) to observe their natural behaviors.
I had a Gem tang, Whitetail & Blonde Naso in my previous tank. I actually prefer my tank now, so much more with my angels/butterflies. It’s a subjective thing. We enjoy their slower more relaxed swimming patterns much more. We do have a Blonde Naso, but naturally he is very chill.

Will be following to see the suggestions you receive. 🙂
Thanks for the info. Ya a CBB is something I've been considering. My tank is potentially small... if the guidance was 4ft long I'd be ok but since everyone says 120g it gives me a bit of pause. my logically side thinks its probably ok but deep down I worry about people tank shaming

phatduckk

Country flag
Thinking if I go CBB I can then drop the tang from the list and get a lawnmower blenny... hmmm

Would a CBB be ok in a 47" x 20" x 21"?

mattzang

Country flag
how about a foxface for herbivoring? peaceful, slightly pokey, does get kinda big, but idk i think i'd put one in that tank size and not feel bad

DexterB

Country flag
Would a CBB be ok in a 47" x 20" x 21"?
I will let others weigh in on this. I would say a lot depends on what other fish you would put with it. I would not have it in with several large fish in that foot print - so it is not outcompeted.
They don't pace or speed like some fish, so I wouldn't think length would be an issue.
CBBs love to explore & pick. They are inquisitive fish and like a lot of caves, arches etc. (not a minimalistic tank). Depending on your stocking list & if they have caves etc to explore one might be fine.

Last edited:

phatduckk

Country flag
I will let others weigh in on this. I would say a lot depends on what other fish you would put with it. I would not have it in with several large fish in that foot print - so it is not outcompeted.
They don't pace or speed like some fish, so I wouldn't think length would be an issue.
CBBs love to explore & pick. They are inquisitive fish and like a lot of caves, arches etc. (not a minimalistic tank). Depending on your stocking list & if they have caves etc to explore one might be fine.
75E012A3-6B6B-44C3-8A1C-CED0A6F1CA4D.jpeg

heres what the scape looks like. I have a bunch of extra rock and am going to build an arch or a shelf between the 2 mounds on either side.

Initially I wanted to have a nem or a clam and left the center open; I’ve since decided against it & would rather have more fish hiding spots plus Ill have more space for coral

DexterB

Country flag
Also my idea is 1 big fish. The anthias would be the second largest but not “huge”
I had some fish on your list in my previous tank & a few in this one. I’ll look up some pics and send them to you,
You make have seen this already but check out this to see CBB head twitch - they do this to beg for food,