For those hoarding CP!

Dierks

I know everyone has been out for a while. I ordered mine back on the 5th from NFP but haven't heard a peep back from them if I am getting it or not. Has to be the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. I have reached out to them both by email and phone a total of 4 times with no response back at all. Almost thinking about putting in a complaint to Paypal just to get my Money back as I know I'm not getting the product at this point.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Just read this:

"Between early and mid-March, Raoult and his team treated 20 of these patients with 600 milligrams of hydroxychloroquine daily in a hospital setting. Depending on their symptoms, an antibiotic known as azithromycin was also added to the treatments. This antibiotic is known to be effective against complications from bacterial lung disease. The 16 remaining patients were not given the drug as a control.

In the study, the scientists observed a 'significant' reduction in viral load in the patients treated with hydroxychloroquine, and that the effect was reinforced by azithromycin, Medscape reported.

In fact, after six days, 70 percent of the treated patients were considered cured, meaning that the virus was no longer detected in samples taken from them, compared to 12.5 percent of the control group patients. Furthermore, all six patients who were treated with both hydroxychloroquine and the antibiotic azithromycin tested negative for the virus after six days."

Reefhog

I know everyone has been out for a while. I ordered mine back on the 5th from NFP but haven't heard a peep back from them if I am getting it or not. Has to be the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. I have reached out to them both by email and phone a total of 4 times with no response back at all. Almost thinking about putting in a complaint to Paypal just to get my Money back as I know I'm not getting the product at this point.
I ordered 100g from NFP about six months ago and it took about three or four weeks to get it. There was no communication during that time. That being said, there was no COVID19 either so hopefully yours got processed before the demand went up.

Kyl

UK banned all export by emergency order of chloroquine phosphate and hydroxychloroquine on March 13th. Really feels like something is in the works. I hope, anyway. Ironically someone posted about CP and Covid on you know where last month and it got deleted right away.

Dr.Reef

Always at your service.
CP has been not in practice for a while. In USA they dont even prescribe it to reat malaria anymore.
Although I have a stash of it and not trying to administer it on myself.

Tamberav

I saw some on eBay up to 1500 dollars now....

I carry a box full of so many fish meds...its like its own little fish pharmacy....that I never use :p

It would be a quick buck to list the CP on eBay but damn...it seems unethical to sell something you know someone might ingest and cause harm to themselves.

I think eBay needs to ban the sale of CP for now.

Last edited:

clsanchez77

20 Year Noob
I have a very small amount and I think its expired. I got it through a vet and I had to bring a dead fish in to get it.

Salmo Si

Just read this:

"Between early and mid-March, Raoult and his team treated 20 of these patients with 600 milligrams of hydroxychloroquine daily in a hospital setting. Depending on their symptoms, an antibiotic known as azithromycin was also added to the treatments. This antibiotic is known to be effective against complications from bacterial lung disease. The 16 remaining patients were not given the drug as a control.

In the study, the scientists observed a 'significant' reduction in viral load in the patients treated with hydroxychloroquine, and that the effect was reinforced by azithromycin, Medscape reported.

In fact, after six days, 70 percent of the treated patients were considered cured, meaning that the virus was no longer detected in samples taken from them, compared to 12.5 percent of the control group patients. Furthermore, all six patients who were treated with both hydroxychloroquine and the antibiotic azithromycin tested negative for the virus after six days."
That's a huge dosage. I'm not sure how the hydroxy group on the chloroquine molecule affects it, but that's miles above what I read to be a safe dosage for chloroquine. Don't try this at home folks!

Sashaka

We know CP has a shelf life and is affected greatly by heat and light. I wonder how much of the internet supply going for $1500 dollars or similar outrageous prices is even viable? I know my stash has expired now (wish I had purchased more before this pandemic started), though if my stash has any life left in it I will have to use it if my fish need it and observed closely. I can't afford to pay current prices to buy more. I think I would even feel a little guilty knowing I was purchasing something people might need to get well too. :(

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
We know CP has a shelf life and is affected greatly by heat and light. I wonder how much of the internet supply going for $1500 dollars or similar outrageous prices is even viable? I know my stash has expired now (wish I had purchased more before this pandemic started), though if my stash has any life left in it I will have to use it if my fish need it and observed closely. I can't afford to pay current prices to buy more. I think I would even feel a little guilty knowing I was purchasing something people might need to get well too. :(
Storing it in the freezer extends the shelf life.

Reefhog

Storing it in the freezer extends the shelf life.
Good to know. I have a six month old unopened 100 g. Package from NFP. Been in cabinet in basement. Just used last of my Diamondback supply this week. Most Rx stay good long after their expiration date. With no new supply and no real way to test it, I’ll really be relying on my black mollies.

Idoc

Hopefully people aren't hoarding their CP in the hopes to use on themselves with this crazy Chinese Wuhan virus! The chloroquine drugs aren't like simple antibiotics in the human body. These meds can cause serious non-reversible problems in the human body. I regularly conduct yearly dilated eye exams on patients who use Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) due to the irreversible damage it can cause to people's central vision. Chloroquine also has some bad side effects as well.

Plus, the majority on the fish forums are buying their CP through eBay sources who sell the drug in bulk powder form. This is not approved for human use...and who knows if this powder from china is actually CP? I've been noticing lately that many of my generic eye medications for patients that are coming from China (and actually dispensed through pharmacies) are NOT performing like they should be...and a year ago I didn't have this problem!

2 grams of CP is the lethal dosage for humans, but that could be lower for some individuals. Definitely don't use without first talking with your doctors!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
So, I'm not trying to dole out medical advice. But below are some side effects/limitations to take CP:

Although we won't know the results of these trials for some time, the advantage of trying out chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine as COVID-19 treatments is that the drugs' safety profiles are well understood, Horovitz said. Both drugs are generally well tolerated at prescribed doses but can cause stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, headache and more rarely, itchiness, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). When taken in high doses over many years, the drugs can cause a rare eye condition known as retinopathy.

Both medications can interact with other drugs and doses should be adjusted to account for drug interactions. Those with psoriasis should not take either drug, the CDC notes. In their current form, the drugs are also not safe for those with heart arrhythmia, or those with impaired kidneys or liver, the Times reported.

Source: https://www.livescience.com/chloroquine-coronavirus-treatment.html

steveb

Ditto.