glass broken?

mattzang

Country flag
so i bought an innovative marine 100 EXT about a month ago and it sat on my living room floor for most of that time. then a couple weeks ago i found out i'm lucky enough to have termites that require a full fumigation. so a week ago my brother in law and i moved the tank to my garage which is not connected to the house and put it on the stand. this seemed great as i could plumb it out there and not worry about getting the primer stuff on my carpet.

then as it was on the stand i was checking it out and..

2C807D46-7153-4A2B-904E-EDAF251B3038.jpeg

50A4D931-8DFD-4983-A23C-E42BD568808C.jpeg

929DEDCF-D8FC-46C9-A9E6-9F5D1F5E22C6.jpeg

BF5B232B-EC5F-4368-A9E9-0DAEA3857959.jpeg

EC59535E-4C64-4BB5-A129-DF9554B5657E.jpeg

so i filled it about 1/3 of the way full with rodi just now and no leaking.. gonna leave it for a few days to see how it does, but that's obviously not the same as filling it with sand, rock, wavemakers, etc.

it's smooth to the touch inside and outside of the tank, but ugh. anyone know much about glass?

safe to use? proceed with caution? lol good luck dude that's gonna break soon? extra silicone the inside and outside? light it on fire?

35ppt

Comrad Snowflake
Country flag
Ah that sucks.. Very similar thing happened to me on my first tank. But mine was on the outside edge, looks like yours was set on something? The consensus from people on mine was it was OK to use but I ended up selling it to someone that was willing to take the risk. I want to sleep good at night. I can't tell on yours if the main "oyster" has any cracks going off from it. That would be the concern. If it's just an oyster crack with no cracks going out from it you could sand the inside of the oyster to help prevent it getting worse. If there are any cracks leading out from the oyster they are likely to expand out. That's what I was told by glaziers on r2r anyways. I'm no expert.

mattzang

Country flag
i'll have to take another look at it for smaller cracks, but i just don't think i can risk it. 100+ gallons of water on the floor isn't ideal. pretty sure i'm just screwed on this one. i don't think it was my error, but i can't rule it out either. i had the tank just sitting on the wood/carpet floor in my house, i would assume that'd be ok but jeez who knows. and then moving it to the garage involved putting it in the back of a tahoe so again maybe it sat on something in there.

innovative marine is somewhat local to me in socal so i guess i'll contact them and see what they have to say. maybe they can fix it or something

life sucks!

35ppt

Comrad Snowflake
Country flag
i'll have to take another look at it for smaller cracks, but i just don't think i can risk it. 100+ gallons of water on the floor isn't ideal. pretty sure i'm just screwed on this one. i don't think it was my error, but i can't rule it out either. i had the tank just sitting on the wood/carpet floor in my house, i would assume that'd be ok but jeez who knows. and then moving it to the garage involved putting it in the back of a tahoe so again maybe it sat on something in there.

innovative marine is somewhat local to me in socal so i guess i'll contact them and see what they have to say. maybe they can fix it or something

life sucks!
Yep, that was ultimately my sentiment as well. At least you found it before you set it up!

DexterB

Country flag
I would ask both a glazier & tank manufacturer, as mentioned above. My old tank that I refer to here on the Forum was a 300 gallon. What caused my "tank crash" was after only 3 years the bottom seal failed. :cry: It was a nightmare. We were home luckily. Heard a plop (big drop), turned around & water starts gushing from 2 places on the front bottom seal of our in wall tank. We had an engineered stand, had maintained it etc. Tank had not been moved except to install it. The manufacturer did pay us (they had several tanks of the same size fail just like ours). But I would never wish that on anybody. The water does not come out slowly. Once that water finds a way out, that pressure builds up instantly & it becomes a forceful waterfall. We were so lucky my husband has pond pumps he uses for his hydroponic garden. Had to put all our fish in the sump. We used the pond pump to pump the water into our kitchen sink.

So you are being smart to be researching this. All that water can cause an expensive home repair too. Definitely consult with glaziers & tank builders. Let us know what you find out.

mattzang

Country flag
yeah i mean even if it holds RODI water for now, i just won't ever feel comfortable about it. it could start with a slight leak or it could be a sudden shatter or who knows what. i'd never feel good about putting stuff in there thinking one day it might literally come crashing down..

@DexterB his name on R2R is glaziers? I'll search him out, but i made a thread on r2r and some guy said he worked with glass professionally and said it was just not a good idea. EDIT: hahah, this is how little i know about glass, apparently a glass person is called a glazier? thought it was a tank expert guy on R2R LOL

if it were gonna be a garage tank or something i might consider risking it, but i just can't have 100+ gallons of water going all over the wood flooring in the living room

thanks everyone!

mattzang

Country flag
so in the future, i guess take those recommendations literally when people say don't sign for it until you inspect it. that seems pretty unreasonable to me as the tank comes in an armored box. it took me a solid 30 minutes to take apart just to disassemble what was inside so i could take it in the house. making the delivery guy wait for that seems absurd, but it is what it is i guess. even then, i gave it a solid gander and didn't see this so i'm starting to think it was somehow something i did. placing the tank in the back of a tahoe with two guys was awkward, not sure more people would've helped, but a better solution than that seems necessary. hopefully innovative marine can fix it up for not too much..

35ppt

Comrad Snowflake
Country flag
so in the future, i guess take those recommendations literally when people say don't sign for it until you inspect it. that seems pretty unreasonable to me as the tank comes in an armored box. it took me a solid 30 minutes to take apart just to disassemble what was inside so i could take it in the house. making the delivery guy wait for that seems absurd, but it is what it is i guess. even then, i gave it a solid gander and didn't see this so i'm starting to think it was somehow something i did. placing the tank in the back of a tahoe with two guys was awkward, not sure more people would've helped, but a better solution than that seems necessary. hopefully innovative marine can fix it up for not too much..
No doubt. But if that's the game shippers play, fine. Their delivery guy is going to be waiting. I tagged a glazier on your thread on r2r maybe he will weigh in.

mattzang

Country flag
No doubt. But if that's the game shippers play, fine. Their delivery guy is going to be waiting. I tagged a glazier on your thread on r2r maybe he will weigh in.
thanks man!

yeah i mean i was ready to check the tank out, i assumed it would come in a cardboard box or something so i had boxcutters.

this thing was wrapped in metal and solid wood. i had to take a crowbar to it to even get it open.

man this really sucks. $1,300 for a new tank when I just paid like $1800 for the tank and stand. this hobby really is defeating sometimes

35ppt

Comrad Snowflake
Country flag
thanks man!

yeah i mean i was ready to check the tank out, i assumed it would come in a cardboard box or something so i had boxcutters.

this thing was wrapped in metal and solid wood. i had to take a crowbar to it to even get it open.

man this really sucks. $1,300 for a new tank when I just paid like $1800 for the tank and stand. this hobby really is defeating sometimes
Just makes it all that more rewarding when you have success amirite?

mattzang

Country flag
we'll see, I just sent them the email. I've heard of manufacturers fixing tanks they made, but usually it costs almost as much as a new tank..

mattzang

Country flag
just got off the phone with the innovative marine guy, he was really nice. looks like they do not fix tanks, but he did offer 25% off a tank only, so i guess i'll take them up on it

he explained the low iron glass is great for clarity, but it's really fragile, so just moving the tank in a vehicle without supporting it with some styrofoam and what not could've done it. :mad:

freaking termites!!

the what if of the story is that i probably could've just left the tank in the house. the termite guy claims there's no residuals left from the gas, but man that just seemed scary. we do what we can to avoid contaminants in tanks and the idea of having a tank just sit through a termite fumigation and then using it immediately after is downright terrifying. but probably wouldn't have broken the glass that way lol..

clsanchez77

20 Year Noob
Country flag
Yikes, at the bottom seem, where stress will be the highest.

safe to use? proceed with caution? lol good luck dude that's gonna break soon? extra silicone the inside and outside? light it on fire?
I would not risk this in my house. I don't think the glass will as much as the seems is now compromised. If you want to attempt a repair, use fiberglass mesh with an epoxy resin.