HELP Harlequin tusk not doing well

60diablo

Country flag
Hello, I got 3 fish last last Thursday, Harlequin tusk, Gem Tang (came out of the same tank) & Labouti wrasse different tank, put them in a clean 40g breeder when i got home. Friday morning started feeding the fish. The tusk was eating like crazy. I even said to myself oh wow maybe i made a mistake buying this fish. Eat good all weekend but i noticed yesterday afternoon it was acting funny and not eating. Its been hanging out up top in the corner or right under the water fall from the hob filter.

I have dosed NO Meds in this tank at all. The other 2 fish are eating and swimming all over the tank. The Ammonia badge reads yellow but i just did a test with Red Sea ammonia test. Its showing between 0.4 & 0.8. I just dosed 4ml of prime. Will do a 50% water change tomorrow morning unless someone thinks I should do it right away. I figured prime would buy me till morning.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

60diablo

Country flag
I would give all the fish a MB bath: https://humble.fish/methylene-blue/

(You can also dose it in-tank, but MB will destroy your biofilter.)

If they were exposed to ammonia that high, there has to be gill (and possibly internal organ) damage from it.
Ok. I dont have MB. The ammonia badge read yellow at all times and still does. I put them in the corners so I can flash a light behind them. I check them at least 2 times a day. Do you think I should do 50% water change right now. It will take me about less the 1hr to get it ready.
Its breathing pretty heavy.

clsanchez77

20 Year Noob
Country flag
Get the prime in for immediate relief and change the water ASAP. Prime only binds the ammonia temporarily and the fish are still producing more ammonia in the meantime. So, the water change is the only permanent answer. I would also dose Seachem Stability to jump the nitrogen cycle.

I have lost quite a few fish relying on those ammonia badges. I have since stopped using them. Too many times, I find a dead or dying fish, check the badge, it's yellow. Run the test and its green. I have lost far more fish in QT due to ammonia than to actual diseases. No more ammonia badges in my house.

Its breathing pretty heavy.
Ammonia.

Not sure how/if/when you cycled the QT tank, but my guess is the sudden increase in fish load reset the cycle. Our DT tanks have enough surface area that this issue goes largely unnoticed. QT setups are more sterile and more probe to this problem. I recommend you have a bottle of Seachem Stability and start doing the tank before you purchase the fish and dose for a week after you purchase the fish.

60diablo

Country flag
I just did a 50% water change. I forgot i had the water already mixing all day. I just had to match salinity & its done.
Like I said. The badge is yellow. I had my wife look at it to make sure I’m not crazy. Also the ammonia test was a lot closer to 0.4.
I added another badge. It’s obvious the other one is not working.

60diablo

Country flag
Get the prime in for immediate relief and change the water ASAP. Prime only binds the ammonia temporarily and the fish are still producing more ammonia in the meantime. So, the water change is the only permanent answer. I would also dose Seachem Stability to jump the nitrogen cycle.

I have lost quite a few fish relying on those ammonia badges. I have since stopped using them. Too many times, I find a dead or dying fish, check the badge, it's yellow. Run the test and its green. I have lost far more fish in QT due to ammonia than to actual diseases. No more ammonia badges in my house.

Ammonia.

Not sure how/if/when you cycled the QT tank, but my guess is the sudden increase in fish load reset the cycle. Our DT tanks have enough surface area that this issue goes largely unnoticed. QT setups are more sterile and more probe to this problem. I recommend you have a bottle of Seachem Stability and start doing the tank before you purchase the fish and dose for a week after you purchase the fish.
Thank you very much. Our post just crossed. Thank you for telling me about your take on the ammonia badges. I have also noticed they are incredibly inaccurate. I though i was going nuts but this has happened me before. They show completely yellow but when i do test shows ammonia.
I don’t have the Seachem stability but i do have the Fritz 900 turbo. Should i dose a little. That’s tuff is supposed to be so good. That what i use to cycle my qt tanks. Thanks Again!

60diablo

Country flag
Possibly, what’s in the hob filter?
If you have a pump and sponge filter that would help along with the nitrifying bacteria.
I have a aquaclear 110 on this 40 breeder. It’s Probably overkill but i sometimes QT a bigger bio load. There is only 3 fish in this tank. I have the sponge, bio cubes & carbon bag on it now but i usually take the carbon out when i dose the fritz for a day or 2.
I’m going to take the carbon out before going to bed and dose a little fritz. Hopefully he looks better in the morning.
Thank You!

60diablo

Country flag
Wow. Just did a Red Sea ammonia test. Yellow :))) no ammonia. The badge is yellow as well. Most important. The Harlequin Tusk is looking great this morning. Swimming all around in till the Gem tang puts it in is place. Didn’t think the Gem tang would be the boss of that tank but then again I’m a rookie :) what do i know.

Attachments