Heater died

Users who are viewing this thread

CindyKz

Country flag
Hi all,

I woke up this morning to a 72 deg quarantine tank. It housed only a keyhole angelfish (Centropyge tibicen). She is alive but barely moving. I dropped a different heater in. It's only a 20 gal tall tank so it should warm fairly quickly. My question is, should I be trying to warm the tank up faster I have tank temperature water, I could do a quick water change. Or float bags of heated water.

TIA, Cindy

intense37716

Country flag
We had a heater get unplugged in hospital tank and woke up to 68f...ugh plugged heater in a slowly got back up to 78 through the day. They seem fine 2 days later but I think the Tang is still 🤬 me out

CindyKz

Country flag
Well she didn't make it
Look into a temp controller. I use an InkBird that allows 2 heaters to be plugged in. They’re less than $35 and can give you some redundancy because heaters all kinda suck.
I have them on my DT but not on my QTs. Maybe I'll invest, although the heater straight up died so I don't think a controller would have helped.

CindyKz

Country flag
Well she didn't make it. I may have raised the temp too quickly. Although she seemed to be over the bacterial mouth infection she hadn't been eating well so she didn't come into this stressor in best shape.

A little background and humor of the funny/not funny variety:

I usually don't like for my wonderful, supportive, but not really a fish guy husband to feed the QTs because I prefer to observe them eating, but when I work back-to-back 12's it can't always be helped.

I was leaving after a long, crappy 12 hour night shift and I stopped to say goodbye to him (we work at the same place). I was instructing him how much to feed the angelfish in QT and he says

"Oh, about that. I don't think she made it...unless maybe she always sleeps on her side?"

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Country flag

phatduckk

Country flag
Well she didn't make it

I have them on my DT but not on my QTs. Maybe I'll invest, although the heater straight up died so I don't think a controller would have helped.
well, I use the ink birds that you can plug in 2 heaters into. so in that scenario you'd minimize the temp drop as one would continue to operate (though not eliminate it). Then again - the ink bird could die too - which I why I back that up with a different temp alarm lol

Big G

Country flag
Well she didn't make it. I may have raised the temp too quickly. Although she seemed to be over the bacterial mouth infection she hadn't been eating well so she didn't come into this stressor in best shape.

I usually don't like for my wonderful, supportive, but not really a fish guy husband to feed the QTs because I prefer to observe them eating, but when I work back-to-back 12's it can't always be helped.

I was leaving after a long, crappy 12 hour night shift and I stopped to say goodbye to him (we work at the same place). I was instructing him how much to feed the angelfish in QT and he says

"Oh, about that. I don't think she made it...unless maybe she always sleeps on her side?"
Sorry for your loss :(

Teri

Country flag

Ohhhhhh....no....... I am so very sorry, Cindy.