High Volume/Commercial Acclimation & QT

Users who are viewing this thread

Cole668

Country flag
I'm trying to reduce losses and stress on the fish when I receive a new wholesale order and looking for advice on best practices for receiving larger quantities of fish.

My current procedure is as follows:

- Onboarding system adjusted to 1 ppm copper power and 22 ppt salinity

- Prep H2O2 bath with heavy aeration and flow

- Open boxes in reduced lighting, check for seriously struggling fish and float bags in system for 20 minutes or so.

- Use syringe to draw a sample of bag water and test salinity. Adjust system if necessary.

- Stop H2O2 bath aeration and flow, add H2O2

- Cut bags and place fish in bath, discard bag water

- 30 minute bath and scoop fish with square colander and place in tanks

- Fish that appear to be struggling are given a Nitro. Green bath in place of H2O2.

- Increase Cu from 1 ppm to 2.5 ppm over 7 days using Kamoer X1 Pro 2 programmed for small hourly additions. Cu reservoir only contains enough solution to bring system up to 2.5 ppm

Can anyone offer and other suggestions or tweaks to this?

Thanks

Cole668

Country flag
Right now I buy most things from L.A. wholesalers but as the business grows I will move to purchasing from overseas.

The fish are packed the afternoon before the flight so they'll spend about 24 hrs in the bag.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Country flag
The peroxide baths should be fine then. (y)

Once you start buying from overseas, I would only do MB or NFG baths because too many fish will have ammonia burn. But any time you see red sores on a fish or smell ammonia in their bag water, skip the peroxide bath in favor of methylene blue.

How long are the fish in the dirty bag water after you open the bags?

Cole668

Country flag
Only MB or is NFG a good substitute for red sores or ammonia smell in the bag?

I remove the fish and discard the water as soon as the bags are opened.

Cole668

Country flag
Going into emergency mode now... My latest shipment didn't make the connecting flight and left over night at the airport.

What do you recommend for NFG bath dosage? Would prefer weight/gallon rather than volume/gallon, if possible.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Country flag
Going into emergency mode now... My latest shipment didn't make the connecting flight and left over night at the airport.

What do you recommend for NFG bath dosage? Would prefer weight/gallon rather than volume/gallon, if possible.
I would double dose it for 30 minutes: 1 teaspoon (5 ml) per 10 gallons

If you wanted to dose it directly into the holding tanks, then stick with 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons.

Cole668

Country flag
Everything's unpacked and most are the fish are doing ok. There was a fairy wrasse and a percula clown that didn't make it, sadly.

I ran them all through a 30 minute NFG bath at double dose. Are there any compatibility issues with NFG and copper? The system is at 1 PPM Copper Power right now.