HLLE, Fin Rot, AND Ich :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

Tigerbug

Country flag
Hello and thank you in advance for any help!
We set up and cycled a brand new FO tank, with sand and dry rock. Once it cycled we added some fish from our reef tank, which we had QT'd in between moving them from one tank to the other, just to be safe! We then bought a $1,000 beautiful mature emperor angel, named King George. My heart sank when the box was delivered to our house... the outside was nearly black from shipping goo, almost all sides were crushed, and it was soaking wet. What a disaster. We thought for sure that when we cut it open we'd be greeted by a dead fish. Despite the fact that this poor fellow was in about 1.5 inch of water, on his side, and barely breathing he, miraculously, survived and began eating almost immediately after a quick acclimation.
Almost right away I noticed that his bottom (ventral?) fins were ragged. But was not surprised after such a rough journey.
We continued to care for him and introduce a wide variety of foods sometimes soaked in Selcon and the fins grew back but almost simultaneously, his pectoral, dorsal, and tail fins began to look frayed/eroded AND he started developing "holes" in his face, which we now know to be HLLE.
We started reading about bacterial infections, HLLE, and boosted his food even more, which seemed to cause the fins to hold steady but the HLLE has continuously gotten worse.
Well, around that time we introduced a new clown, which we had Quarantined and THOUGHT was parasite free. Ha! She brought ich to the entire tank. Now King George was not only looking terrible from the fin rot and HLLE, he was also covered in ich and starting to flash.
Having been through devastating losses after an ich outbreak in our reef tank, we knew we had to act immediately. Rather than capture and QT all the fish we decided to treat the entire FO tank with Cupramine.
Within 24 hours King George stopped flashing and within a week the ich was off all the fish. We completed the 2 week treatment, gave the fish a 2 week break (water changes, cuprisorb, carbon), and are now in the process of doing the second and hopefully final 2-week Cupramine treatment. (During the 2 week break King George had a few ich spots appear, which we expected, but within a few days of therapeutic levels of Cupramine, they were gone.)
So, this is where we stand now; and this is where we could use some help.
We will be doing water changes, cuprisorb, carbon, and poly pads beginning on Feb. 1 to get the Cupramine out.
But what about the fin rot and HLLE? I fear that it will continue to slowly get worse if we don't do anything.
We best like the idea of the 1-2 hour daily baths of Ciprofloxacin with Methylene Blue, which is described under the Antibiotics thread. Is that what you would recommend next?
Any insight, advice, and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
IMG_4272.JPG

Tigerbug

Country flag
Is King George the only one showing these symptoms of a bacterial infection? If so, daily Cipro baths is definitely the way to go!
Yes, King George is the only one with bacterial infection. All others appear perfect, now that the ich is gone. Thank you for confirming the Cirpo baths!

Keen4

Country flag
Should I do the same baths with my mimic lemon peel?

Attachments

• IMG_6236.PNG
    IMG_6236.PNG
    1,013.8 KB · Views: 7

Keen4

Country flag
Hello and thank you in advance for any help!
We set up and cycled a brand new FO tank, with sand and dry rock. Once it cycled we added some fish from our reef tank, which we had QT'd in between moving them from one tank to the other, just to be safe! We then bought a $1,000 beautiful mature emperor angel, named King George. My heart sank when the box was delivered to our house... the outside was nearly black from shipping goo, almost all sides were crushed, and it was soaking wet. What a disaster. We thought for sure that when we cut it open we'd be greeted by a dead fish. Despite the fact that this poor fellow was in about 1.5 inch of water, on his side, and barely breathing he, miraculously, survived and began eating almost immediately after a quick acclimation.
Almost right away I noticed that his bottom (ventral?) fins were ragged. But was not surprised after such a rough journey.
We continued to care for him and introduce a wide variety of foods sometimes soaked in Selcon and the fins grew back but almost simultaneously, his pectoral, dorsal, and tail fins began to look frayed/eroded AND he started developing "holes" in his face, which we now know to be HLLE.
We started reading about bacterial infections, HLLE, and boosted his food even more, which seemed to cause the fins to hold steady but the HLLE has continuously gotten worse.
Well, around that time we introduced a new clown, which we had Quarantined and THOUGHT was parasite free. Ha! She brought ich to the entire tank. Now King George was not only looking terrible from the fin rot and HLLE, he was also covered in ich and starting to flash.
Having been through devastating losses after an ich outbreak in our reef tank, we knew we had to act immediately. Rather than capture and QT all the fish we decided to treat the entire FO tank with Cupramine.
Within 24 hours King George stopped flashing and within a week the ich was off all the fish. We completed the 2 week treatment, gave the fish a 2 week break (water changes, cuprisorb, carbon), and are now in the process of doing the second and hopefully final 2-week Cupramine treatment. (During the 2 week break King George had a few ich spots appear, which we expected, but within a few days of therapeutic levels of Cupramine, they were gone.)
So, this is where we stand now; and this is where we could use some help.
We will be doing water changes, cuprisorb, carbon, and poly pads beginning on Feb. 1 to get the Cupramine out.
But what about the fin rot and HLLE? I fear that it will continue to slowly get worse if we don't do anything.
We best like the idea of the 1-2 hour daily baths of Ciprofloxacin with Methylene Blue, which is described under the Antibiotics thread. Is that what you would recommend next?
Any insight, advice, and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
View attachment 13507
How is he doing?

Tigerbug

Country flag
How is he doing?
Hello Keen4. King George is doing so much better! Thank you for asking.
1) After several rounds of copper, all parasites are gone.
2) After 7 days of Ciprofloxacin with Methylene Blue "baths" the fin and tail rot are significantly improving.
3) After stopping the use of carbon and a change in diet/supplements to his food, the HLLE is slowly improving.

Does your lemon peel have tail/fin rot and HLLE or only HLLE? I cannot tell from the pictures. I ask because in our experience the daily Cipro baths are helping the tail/fin rot but we believe the removal of carbon and the change in diet are the main contributors to helping with the HLLE. I should also mention that we had a clown in the QT with him but they were not getting along so we decided to find the clown a new home. This seems to have eliminated stress, which we all know influences how well a fish handles illness.

Keen4

Country flag
Hello Keen4. King George is doing so much better! Thank you for asking.
1) After several rounds of copper, all parasites are gone.
2) After 7 days of Ciprofloxacin with Methylene Blue "baths" the fin and tail rot are significantly improving.
3) After stopping the use of carbon and a change in diet/supplements to his food, the HLLE is slowly improving.

Does your lemon peel have tail/fin rot and HLLE or only HLLE? I cannot tell from the pictures. I ask because in our experience the daily Cipro baths are helping the tail/fin rot but we believe the removal of carbon and the change in diet are the main contributors to helping with the HLLE. I should also mention that we had a clown in the QT with him but they were not getting along so we decided to find the clown a new home. This seems to have eliminated stress, which we all know influences how well a fish handles illness.
Well Im glad King George is better!!! What a miracle- Coco is my mimic lemon peel. He will have perfect fins one day then the next get beat up by Queen my Vlamingi. Then they get better and then the same thing over again. So I dont believe thats fin rot. Seems so be jsut HLLE. I was wondering if he can feel it. I wish there was more I could do at the moment. here's another photo of Coco.

Attachments

• 9828E8F7-099A-4789-B2A8-C556DAEC9FAD.jpeg
    9828E8F7-099A-4789-B2A8-C556DAEC9FAD.jpeg
    226.7 KB · Views: 2