How To Make Medicated Feed - from Hikari

Users who are viewing this thread

Jessican

Sheriff
Country flag
I was just talking to Michael about this last night, since I tried feeding food soaked with fenbendazole and Focus clearly didn't bind it very well (and it subsequently killed three leathers, two kenya trees, a xenia frag, and a 6" pipe organ colony). I'm currently feeding metro-soaked food, and I find that the food disintegrates really easily once it's been medicated, so I just can't imagine it's actually keeping the meds bound very well - I think metro is just more reef safe on its own than fenbendazole. @baybridgeaquarium what are your thoughts on this?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Country flag
Can you medicate frozen mysis?

Yes; by food soaking an appropriate medication: Praziquantel or fenbendazole (intestinal worms), metronidazole (internal flagellates), neomycin (internal infections) are all suitable options.

However, you must also use a "food binder" such as Seachem Focus, unflavored gelatin or agar. The binder helps to reduce the loss of medication to the water through diffusion. But obviously some can still leach out.

baybridgeaquarium

Country flag
I was just talking to Michael about this last night, since I tried feeding food soaked with fenbendazole and Focus clearly didn't bind it very well (and it subsequently killed three leathers, two kenya trees, a xenia frag, and a 6" pipe organ colony). I'm currently feeding metro-soaked food, and I find that the food disintegrates really easily once it's been medicated, so I just can't imagine it's actually keeping the meds bound very well - I think metro is just more reef safe on its own than fenbendazole. @baybridgeaquarium what are your thoughts on this?
I have noticed the same thing, and having some time on an Uber earlier, as I can't seem to stop myself, got down another rabbit hole of researching. I have not tried it, but if I can find some time, or if anyone wants to do some experimenting for me we could collaborate. I need to get this checked by some pharma friends, as I'm not a materials scientist.

1) Dissolve medication into RO water and sodium chloride.
2) Put very small tasty freeze dried planktonic food into the water. Soak for some time at 40°C.
3) Add Xmg hydroxypropyl methycelluose (I keep this at home to make LN2 ice cream..) to the water and gelify.
4) Dry in the oven. Rinse and dry a few times to remove any unbound medication. Finish with dried metroplankton cake.
5) Dry again and then grind to a powder.
6) Metronidazole concentration can be found with Spectrophotometer at 277nm.
7) Standard recipes out there to convert metrogel powdered cake into stable pills with magnesium stearate.
8) Pulverize pills as necessary and add to frozen food while thawing. The concentration of MCHV to start will determine the chemical matrix size and flow rate out of, it traps the drug inside a tangle that makes wet starches into solids, the target compounds get stuck inside. It should taste good to the fish because we also trapped in rotifers or whatever. This would act like the fish are eating "Extended Release" meds that would take a long time to come out of the gel if it weren't eaten.