Hydrogen peroxide uses

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm going to get some hydrogen peroxide and remove some rock and frags from my tanks to help get rid of algae. Couple questions:

-does the strength of the peroxide matter? What's the water to peroxide ratio? Does that change for scrubbing algae from frag plugs vs scrubbing rocks?

-do I need to do a RODI or fresh saltwater rinse after each rock/frag plug?

Thanks!

oceanfrontinNE

Mad Urchin Hatter
Country flag
I probably wouldn't try this on Acropora spp., but I know a lot of people who basically do this with all other corals:

Perfect! Thanks for the video link.

On a sidebar, why do reefing videos have the kind of music that makes me go "ugh this music is so annoying" but then by the time it's over I'm tapping my foot along to the beat?

🙋‍♀️ question. This is probably answered somewhere but I've looked through a lot and can't find it.

For the peroxide bath: is it used for initial new fish, given a bath, put in a clean QT, then observed with no copper? Or is it used for fish showing signs only? I saw some say they gave a fish multiple baths, so I'm just curious how this study is working. Especially if I can contribute I want to contribute correctly.

Jessican

Administrator
Country flag
🙋‍♀️ question. This is probably answered somewhere but I've looked through a lot and can't find it.

For the peroxide bath: is it used for initial new fish, given a bath, put in a clean QT, then observed with no copper? Or is it used for fish showing signs only? I saw some say they gave a fish multiple baths, so I'm just curious how this study is working. Especially if I can contribute I want to contribute correctly.
I do a peroxide bath on all new fish, you only shouldn’t do this if they come in with an open wound/sore for some reason. Those doing multiple baths are likely doing them for the Hybrid TTM method.

If you do just one H2O2 bath, do it before the fish ever enters QT and then use black mollies during the observation period to help aid with disease detection:

Two H2O2 baths (spaced 6 days apart) have a greater chance of 100% eradication, and is what we have incorporated into "Hybrid" TTM:

Regardless of which option you wish to try, it is very important to always transfer the fish into a clean/sterile QT post bath to prevent any reinfection from pathogens in the water column.

oceanfrontinNE

Mad Urchin Hatter
Country flag
I did the peroxide dip on some corals today. The zoas are starting to come back around. My candy cane looks awful. I just read that they can look absolutely horrid for a few days after the dip. I found it kind of interesting that an urchin went and gobbled up the longer GHA on the frag plug shortly after adding it back to the tank.
EB1F9B5E-4FE5-47C0-A848-748B4BFB36BE.jpeg

35ppt

Department of Agitation and Propaganda
Country flag
When I have algae on frag plugs or tiles I will take it out and scrape off what I can. Then I use a bottle of peroxide with a pin hole in the foil so I can squeeze it and get a thin stream of peroxide and spray down the area it was growing, wait about five seconds and put it right back in. Destroys the algae and the coral doesn't have to go through a peroxide dip. I've also done it with zoanthids with filamentous algae growing in between the polyps. They all close up and mucus up from being in the air and ya they get sprayed with full strength peroxide but I've never had them pout about it for very long afterwards. Same with rocks. Take them out or drain the tank down and leave them in but I just remove what I can and spray down the area with full strength and don't worry about rinsing it away.

oceanfrontinNE

Mad Urchin Hatter
Country flag
Same with rocks. Take them out or drain the tank down and leave them in but I just remove what I can and spray down the area with full strength and don't worry about rinsing it away.
Do you rotate treating your rocks? I don’t want to lose good bacteria colonizing the rock in my DT, but they could benefit from some spot peroxide spraying.

35ppt

Department of Agitation and Propaganda
Country flag
Do you rotate treating your rocks? I don’t want to lose good bacteria colonizing the rock in my DT, but they could benefit from some spot peroxide spraying.
No, I don't. I have not tried it on extreme cases though. Just some spots here or there so I don't worry about bacteria too much. It's never been enough to effect the ammonia filtration of the tank and it will repopulate.