I guess I'll get this started

drstardust

Country flag
Cool!
It's fun to see someone stick with freshwater in addition to salt. I personally had a FW tank for only 2 years or so before going the salt route and never looking back. But I always thought of doing something unique on the fresh side in addition, like puffers or large oddball fish.

AngryMike2016

Country flag
I actually started with salt, and then went fresh. I can't imagine that happens too much.

Puffers would be a really cool freshwater tank; would just need to have enough snails for them.

My freshwater LFS has an 800 gallon tank with all sorts of huge fish - arowanas, oscars, pacu, catfish, common pleco. Wild sight to behold.

AngryMike2016

Country flag
Thank you. We had to euthanize him Sunday night (clove oil). He had severe dropsy and you could see him ballooning bigger and bigger.

I have plans for two more freshwater tanks. I'll be re-purposing my 29 gallon marine QT after I've finished the current round into a North American style aquascape. That one will be very light fish load - a betta of some kind, a zebra pleco (ooof $$$), and a handful of mollies.

Then I will be doing a 2nd 90 gallon tank; just hardscaped with wood and rock, and populated with three, maybe four, goldfish.

DexterB

Country flag
There is a definite Zen quality to a planted freshwater tank. Thanks for sharing the video. I hope you get another Betta. They are beautiful fish.

Have you ever had an Oscar? I hear they are like a dog in personality & intelligence.

AngryMike2016

Country flag
I have not; I have only been doing freshwater for nine months. Three months with a 29 that quickly turned into a 90 gallon when my LFS had Seapora tank/stand combos on sale for 50 friggin' % off. I could not pass that up.

I really like Oscars, and I've considered setting up a tank for them, but I've found that for freshwater what I really enjoy is aquascaping and large schools of small fish.

I live with severe anxiety and depression issues. When I am experiencing a flare up with either one the tank that I go to help myself to 'center' is, without fail, the planted tank. My reef tanks are beautiful and captivating, but they don't bring peace the way a planted tank can.

DexterB

Country flag
I have only done saltwater. But I enjoy viewing both FW & SW. To me the planted tanks involve a lot of thought, planning, design etc. when it comes to aquascaping. I like looking at the different FW takes on aquascaping. It is living art. I can see how peaceful they are. You get the serenity of green plants with the beauty of the bright (or soft pastel) fish.

scubabeth

Country flag
I read in another thread that you had lost your Betta recently. I'm sorry to hear that! :( It's always hard for us, too, when we make the determination to euthanize a fish. Your FW planted tank really is nice, Mike! No wonder it brings you so much peace...and we all need more of that right now!! Thanks for sharing the video!

i am pumped we have a freshwater forum now. i tried to get r2r to have one .but they said no its a reef forum.. but they have a lounge forum that has nothing to do with reefing.. reason i like this forum because id love a huge planted tank with discus. or if my reef tank adventures fail.... ill change my tank over into that...

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Country flag
I can't help but feel like the people that were saying no look down on freshwater.
Some marine hobbyists can be kinda snobby. I've always appreciated both environments and how different they are from one another. I really miss my Discus tanks.

I never had discus but they are cover ful and cool how they just float. But I've seen some crazy planted tanks that look on a another level

Nope

DexterB

Country flag
I can't help but feel like the people that were saying no look down on freshwater.
Could be a little jealousy by some of them too, you never know. Lol.

We met this very nice man that recently retired. He liked to talk tanks. He & his wife have both. They enjoy it the hobby together. He has saltwater/she has freshwater. He laughed & told me once that visitors always go “ga-ga” over her freshwater tank, especially the Discus.