Other I Hate Mondays

Users who are viewing this thread

Mrpizzaface

Country flag
In 2017 I dislocated my knee on an easy green run on Copper Mountain. I tore most of the cartilage off of my knee cap. I had a surgery to clean everything up. I had some down time (recovering from knee surgery) and watched many videos on YouTube. I decided I wanted to culture mushrooms and start a reef tank. I have since successfully cultured mushrooms. I have not started a reef tank.
I have been planning a reef since 2017. The reef plan has shifted multiple times since 2017. I have bought lots of equipment. I have sold lots of equipment.

I had a couple freshwater tanks as a kid. I have had many freshwater tanks as an adult. Until recently I had just shy of 50 freshwater tanks set up. Most of my tanks were focused on breeding and growing up fish. Working from home foregrounded my need for an office (other than my dining room table). I have been getting rid of most of my fish, in anticipation of a basement renovation.

I will begin demolition on my basement next week. I have tanks ordered. I have someone designing the system.
I will provide more information as time goes by.

Mrpizzaface

Country flag
I live in NYC in the Borough of Queens. My home is a two family and we occupy the first floor and basement. I rent out the top level. The initial plan was to install a 225 gallon reef in my dining room on the first floor. I had an engineer over to view the site conditions. His report was thorough, and I had the option of shoring the carrying girder in my basement to remove two existing posts and footers, so new footers could be poured and new posts installed, plus reinforcing my girder with C channel steel on either side, or I could install an additional vertical support and footer, plus reinforce the girder with C channel. I just couldn't justify the trouble and expense of the former option, and the latter option would make the space far less useable. I sort of got stuck in a feedback loop regarding the news from the engineer. I toyed with just going with a smaller display, but I really want to be able to have some fish that could use the space. Eventually I came to the conclusion that the basement may be the path of least resistance.
Plans are underway to install a 300 gallon tank with an attached 90 gallon frag tank contained in a small equipment room behind the tank. The system is being designed and specified by Chris Benner.
Demo will begin tomorrow. I am opening the ceiling to install new electrical, and main water line. I am also removing the bathroom to reconfigure and to win myself a bit more space for the equipment room. The floor will also be removed and new porcelain tile installed.
Some photos below showing my laundry room area, where I am currently quarantine some fish and , will eventually have purpose built QT and observation installed.

tempImagek7waFp.jpg
tempImagetCQA6F.jpg
tempImageBQRLfd.jpg

Wrangy

Butterfly Boi
Country flag
Shame about not being able to put it in the dining room but having the extra space and functionality in the basement will honestly make your life so much easier!! I went from a tank in my carpeted study upstairs to the tank in our basement study with concrete floors and the laundry next to it and the ease of running the tank is tenfold haha

Mrpizzaface

Country flag
Shame about not being able to put it in the dining room but having the extra space and functionality in the basement will honestly make your life so much easier!! I went from a tank in my carpeted study upstairs to the tank in our basement study with concrete floors and the laundry next to it and the ease of running the tank is tenfold haha
I think it is likely I will end up putting a smaller tank upstairs as well.

Mrpizzaface

Country flag
Demo has begun on my basement.
Still need to move some stuff.
8FF5962E-4E3B-4BC6-B080-8594F8C6F7FC.jpeg

Cleared the area where the system will be installed.
61F1AFD3-4AC1-4FA7-AA19-DDF55CFE4B9D.jpeg

Dividing walls are coming down.
2DC04D8F-A81E-4DCF-B193-9A93EA55BDEA.jpeg
6C045EC3-5158-42D0-95C2-6AA161B909F5.jpeg

Mrpizzaface

Country flag
Demo phase 1 completed. Tank and equipment room will sit between the yellow wall and window, while maintaining and extending the dark hallway to the bathroom and laundry. Didn’t remember how much mastic was on my slab. Will have to get the slab ground, waterproofing installed and self level poured.
6A6CA466-79D0-45A9-BEA2-B0F80123DD8A.jpeg

Decided to remove the bathroom as well to try and win some room for the equipment room and create a better layout for the bathroom.
C060BED9-A895-4243-8795-7F84B31A7936.jpeg

I guess I just needed a year of a global pandemic to get bored enough to start this project. Onward.

Last edited:

Mrpizzaface

Country flag
I met with a concrete guy today, to give me an estimate to get the floor to a suitable place for tiling.
The house is from 1930 and the slab isn't structural, so it is referred to as a rat slab. The rat slab is only about 2" thick and dished down in middle by around 5/8". I am having him give me two prices.
1. The cheap option, do a basic sanding cleaning of the slab, and pour a self level to smooth and flatten things out.
or
2. The expensive option, grind the floors to remove all the old cutback and waterproof with an epoxy sealer. Then pour new self level over the top. This option could be clear coated and left as a finished floor.

To be honest I will probably go with option 1.

In other news I dug up the plumbing in the bathroom so I could reconfigure. I will gain around 12" to my small fish room.
tempImageeGjbhl.jpg

My sump was delivered, and will remain shrouded in mystery for now...
tempImage15y9pN.jpg

Mrpizzaface

Country flag
I'd probably go with option 1 as well. As nice as the waterproof layer would be, if you're keeping things taken care of then you shouldn't need it (touch wood haha)
The waterproofing, is to keep the water vapor in the soil from penetrating the slab and causing the self level/thinset/tile from de bonding.

Wrangy

Butterfly Boi
Country flag
The waterproofing, is to keep the water vapor in the soil from penetrating the slab and causing the self level/thinset/tile from de bonding.
That would also make sense haha I thought it was going the other way haha have you got really high moisture content where you are?

Mrpizzaface

Country flag
That would also make sense haha I thought it was going the other way haha have you got really high moisture content where you are?
I don't think the moisture is particularly high, but my tendency to overthink (or over worry) things is pretty high. I spent many years not worrying about anything, and now I spend a lot of time worrying about everything. All things considered I think they are kind of even ways of being when you consider the results.

mickeysreef

Country flag
get the waterproofing done but make sure this guy knows what hes doing cause nothing worse than having to tear down your tank for a bum job. might as well get the walls done too if you can