HELP ID & Treatment Advice

Adm

New member
Country flag
Hi, new member here, but longer time reader - I have recently undertaken CP treatment to combat velvet outbreak, across 2 hospital tanks with all of my fish. Sadly lost many fish, 4 survived (2 clowns, purple tang and cleaner wrasse). I followed the Humble CP treatment and the survivors are now in a freshly sterilised observation tank. They have been eating a lot and I thought recovering well. Today I noticed a few spots on the female clown and purple tang, but they are a little unusual looking - raised pointed. Female clown pictures below. Tang is being camera shy, but will try to get photo tomorrow.

IMG_20200525_190327.jpg


IMG_20200525_190309.jpg


Any ID on these spots/attachments? What should my next step be with their treatment?

I am in the UK, so do not have all medications discussed available. With lock down it is impossible to source CP and I do not have enough left to treat the tank.

I do have Cupramine, H2O2, ruby reef rally equivalent, melafix & pimafix. Have a couple of tanks and containers, so TTM is also possible.

Thanks in advance.
 

Adm

New member
Country flag
Hi humblefish. Yes that's correct, they look cone shaped and soft perhaps. You can see on the second side-on clown picture they are raised on top of the head, above eye, like little spikes.
 
Last edited:

Adm

New member
Country flag
Some pictures of the purple tang here. Similar raised pointed spots. Would you say this is more ich like? The large white spec on the top photo (near bottom of fish) is a chip in the glass, not a mark on the fish. Similarly, the brown blob on right hand side edge of second photo is on the glass. Hard to get good photos of this one!

IMG_20200526_112604.jpg


IMG_20200526_112454.jpg


For reference, the same fish a month ago at start of CP treatment (was completely clean when moved to observation tank):

Screenshot_20200526_113344.jpg


Thanks
 

Adm

New member
Country flag
Ok, thanks for your advice @Humblefish

Unfortunately those aren't available in the UK. I have just seen on another post of yours that Myxazin is probably the best I can get here, so will order some of that. Is there any other action you would recommend in the meantime? I do have some Melafix that I used during CP to try and reduce secondary infections. Is it worth adding some Melafix/Pimafix until the Myxazin arrives?
 

Adm

New member
Country flag
Quick update 2 days on - I carried out a 50% WC, dosed some MelaFix & PimaFix in absence of any antibiotics and have also soaked frozen food and nori in Selcon. Have also added appropriate dose of Vitamarin-C. I have some beta glucan arriving today so will also add that to their food.

Still early days but purple tang has fewer visible spots and those same ones on the female clown have noticeably reduced in size/gone. Pictures of clown below, one spec remaining above right eye and then left side looking a lot clearer. There appears to be a slight browning area on the back of her body, could this also be bacterial?

IMG_20200528_124907.jpg


IMG_20200528_125048.jpg

(White mark above pectoral fin is on the glass!)

I'm thinking I will continue with this approach rather than add any further treatments at this point - does that seem sensible?
 
Last edited:

Adm

New member
Country flag
Monitoring the clownfish with pictures to try and see if getting worse. This is this morning, perhaps looks a little larger?
IMG_20200529_092251.jpg


I have read the Uronema treatment pages - do you think it is worth performing a bath? I have a product called NT Labs Anti Bacterial (Active Ingredients: Acriflavine 26.7 mg/100 ml, 9-Aminoacridine HCl 26.7 mg/100 ml, Formaldehyde 754 mg/100 ml) which is similar in composition to Ruby Reef I believe? Or I could add the product to the hospital tank and stop the Mela/Pimafix?
 

Adm

New member
Country flag
Ok, I will give that a go. I am waiting for salt delivery so unable to setup a new sterile QT, so will have to return the clowns to the same QT post bath. But I guess it gives the ingredients a chance to have some impact. Alternatively I dose the QT?
 

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Location
Navarre, FL
Country flag
Ok, I will give that a go. I am waiting for salt delivery so unable to setup a new sterile QT, so will have to return the clowns to the same QT post bath. But I guess it gives the ingredients a chance to have some impact. Alternatively I dose the QT?
You could just dose the QT, but I would do a large water change in a day or two as acriflavine tends to foul the water.
 

Adm

New member
Country flag
Picture updates, browning appears to be getting a little worse. Fish still happy, eating very well (with added beta glucan). Breathing a little heavier than the smaller clown as a comparison. Possible lateral line issue? Have so far treated the whole QT with myxain (antibacterial) 2 doses, due a third this evening. but not sure if should continue?

IMG_20200531_161819.jpg


Still has spots sticking out from surface.

IMG_20200531_161849.jpg


Also, nitrates are high in the QT - between 40-100pm on salifert. this can't be helping the situation so will do water change later - just mixing up.

Any recommendations from here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
 

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Location
Navarre, FL
Country flag
The answer is probably no because of being in the UK (I used to live there) but ... Do you have access to any of the antibiotics mentioned in the link below?


Or here: https://humble.fish/community/index.php?threads/antibiotics.15/
 

Adm

New member
Country flag
Not that I'm aware of. I've found a deeper on eBay that I could get kanoplex metroplex, but shipped from the US, so.could take 3 weeks or so. I could as out vet tomorrow and see if anything available there.

Probably a stupid question, but what about returning to the display where water quality is ideal and continue to feed with additives and rely on immune system? It has been fallow for 8 weeks now. Would poor water quality in QT be a contributing factor? Although no other fish displaying symptoms.
 

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Location
Navarre, FL
Country flag
Probably a stupid question, but what about returning to the display where water quality is ideal and continue to feed with additives and rely on immune system? It has been fallow for 8 weeks now. Would poor water quality in QT be a contributing factor? Although no other fish displaying symptoms.
That strategy might work, and 8 weeks fallow should be long enough to eliminate velvet. However, the risk is you could be cross contaminating your DT with a a bacterial disease (or worse) if this is something transmissible.
 

Adm

New member
Country flag
I know this is a gamble approach and understand what you are saving about the contamination potential. Without immediate access to antibiotics I am not sure what other action to consider...
I could test the clean water concept by moving the clowns to a separate new small QT. I have a couple of small bits of LR I could use from DT to give a bio filter and see how that goes?
 

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Location
Navarre, FL
Country flag
I could test the clean water concept by moving the clowns to a separate new small QT. I have a couple of small bits of LR I could use from DT to give a bio filter and see how that goes?
That would be a safer approach. You are correct in assuming that infections clear faster in clean water vs. dirty. Also, a UV sterilizer is an excellent tool for fighting a bacterial infection and especially preventing it from spreading to other fish.
 

Adm

New member
Country flag
Ok, I might try that tomorrow, just put in a fresh unmedicated tank with some LR. I do have a little filter with a built in UV led, could set that up too. There's a substantial UV on the DT more reason to make me think they have good chance in there.

Is it worth continuing with any antibacterial products at the moment? Thanks
 
Top