Question of the Day If you could change / redo / undo one thing what would it be?

Users who are viewing this thread

So if I told you I had 1 time use time machine that could give you the ability to change / redo / undo one thing what would it be?

Would it be a bigger or smaller tank?
Would it be raise the sump off the floor or put it in a different location?
Would it be move the tank to a different location?
Would you have purchased different fish or different corals?
Would you have started the hobby differently or not started at all :unsure: ?

Honestly this is a tough one for me. There are a lot of things I wish I had done differently and I'm sure most people feel the same. But unfortunately we can only change one. so let me think..... :unsure::coffee:🍿......

I guess I would have not wasted the money setting up up my previous tank (IM112 36"X36" cube). I should have just went straight to the tank I have now.

Or

Maybe I would have just moved slower and thought things out better.... But its so hard in this world of instant gratification....

So what are your thoughts? what would you have done?
3AEC2671-2F9E-409C-AD72-4AF4CF9F8004.jpeg

Badilac

Country flag
I would have probably not gotten back in do to the expense, that is something I didn’t take into account in my research before I decided to take the jump again and a lot of that has to do with fish and the diseases
It certainly aint cheap and the bigger you go the more you have to buy. I just dropped almost $200 on misc. crap to get my elements right and fix a few other things.

Jposch

Country flag
I'd say, buy a bigger house so my 300 gallon can be filled again. I've learned much more since it was last setup. I feel like a wasted a lot of potential with that tank. I did keep it when I moved because I'll never be able to get a tank that large otherwise. My current house one has one place it fits, and that spot is directly over the breaker panel in the basement. Just not worth the risk for me. I've already remodeled so much otherwise, I'm not interested in permanentlyodifying this small house to accommodate such a tank.

Attachments

• received_10209645726480923.jpeg
    received_10209645726480923.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 7

phatduckk

Country flag
I would have got a bigger tank. The reefer 350 I have is nice but its shorter than a standard 4ft tank and less deep. I could have got more gallonage out of the same footprint. I actually could have done a 5ft or 6ft tank as I have plenty of space to the right and left of the tank.

I was initially debating between the Reefer 250 and 350 based on nothing but a friend's recommendation. So I never looked past those two... totally dumb: didn't even glance at specs, prices.... nothing I actually still don't know how much more the larger tanks cost.

Jposch

Country flag
I wouldn't have believed the Facebook expert on Fish Alley that told me $1,000 would get me a nice saltwater setup. 🤦‍♀️
Well, depends on what you call nice. And, it requires alot if patience and buying tank sell offs, taking what you want. Selling the stuff you don't, and piece together what you can. I'm around that $1,000 including libestock mark for my 90g. Peninsula. It's not perfect by any means. I found rhe tank, stand and canopy for $50 because it has some scratches, and the seller was tired of looking at it dry. The rock was all used established LIVE rock for around $2-3/lbs. Halide fixture was $150 and needed some minor repairs, alot of the coral was $15-20 frags, or from fire sale tank break downs, etc. I barely make $40k/year, and with a stay at home wife and 2 children, I have to find every way possible to cut costs. Tax returns and "lump sum" money goes to paying off debts, or buying things that are absolutely necessary. More "poor people" seem to have better success than those who attempt to buy thier way to the nicest tank. A $60 fish for me a huge investment, so quarantine is a must, and I ensure it will not bother any coral, or other tank mates at all. I've helped numerous people with more dollars than sense get thier tanks where they should be. Currently helping a local guy who has well over $30k into his 230gallon tank. Fish are all showing signs of ich, and his alk was at 7dkh. This hobby doesn't have to be any more expensive than other hobbies. But, there are compromises. Idk if I could keep sensitive acros in my tank. Someday I'll toss one in and find out. For now, I'll enjoy the dosing every 2-3weeks.

Attachments

• 20210228_124712.jpg
    20210228_124712.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 7

oceanfrontinNE

Get away to where the boat leaves from.
Country flag
Well, depends on what you call nice. And, it requires alot if patience and buying tank sell offs, taking what you want. Selling the stuff you don't, and piece together what you can. I'm around that $1,000 including libestock mark for my 90g. Peninsula. It's not perfect by any means. I found rhe tank, stand and canopy for $50 because it has some scratches, and the seller was tired of looking at it dry. The rock was all used established LIVE rock for around $2-3/lbs. Halide fixture was $150 and needed some minor repairs, alot of the coral was $15-20 frags, or from fire sale tank break downs, etc. I barely make $40k/year, and with a stay at home wife and 2 children, I have to find every way possible to cut costs. Tax returns and "lump sum" money goes to paying off debts, or buying things that are absolutely necessary. More "poor people" seem to have better success than those who attempt to buy thier way to the nicest tank. A $60 fish for me a huge investment, so quarantine is a must, and I ensure it will not bother any coral, or other tank mates at all. I've helped numerous people with more dollars than sense get thier tanks where they should be. Currently helping a local guy who has well over $30k into his 230gallon tank. Fish are all showing signs of ich, and his alk was at 7dkh. This hobby doesn't have to be any more expensive than other hobbies. But, there are compromises. Idk if I could keep sensitive acros in my tank. Someday I'll toss one in and find out. For now, I'll enjoy the dosing every 2-3weeks.
Well said. I agree. I was blindly ignorant to what saltwater reef keeping entailed having come from a freshwater background. I didn’t think I’d have to be scrappy to keep it under $1k. Not researching costs more is my fault. If I had more time and patience I would have probably been able to get a good system going.

oceanfrontinNE

Get away to where the boat leaves from.
Country flag
I quit Facebook entirely. nothing good happens there
I rarely ever comment on fish groups anymore. I’m in quite a few sewing groups that I’m glad to be a part of. Probably 80% of my clothing and accessory business is don’t through a Facebook group. Other than that I post pics of my kids for family members who don’t live close to keep up on.

I do want to get a Shopify or other platform going someday so I’m not reliant on Facebook.

DexterB

Country flag
I wouldn't had listened to the advice to get a cantilevered top for the tank. What a headache. Hated the thing. It was a hinderance not an asset. Removed it & using it as a shelf in basement.

Jposch

Country flag
The only thing I can think of is, knowing what I know now I would not have even considered dry rock and just forked out for maricultured rock. Would have saved a lot of headache with "the uglies".
For sure. Even dirty old phosphate saturated rock is better than 100% dry start IMO. I'd rather plop a bag of media in the sump for half the time it takes to cycle a dry start

OZ_SPS

Country flag
I would have went with red dragon and saved 500$ instead of going with vectra thinking I would save 200$

I would have went with GHL and avoid wasting thousands with apex

I would have went with PRS zeovit reactor instead of wasting money on Vortex.

Moral of the story, every time I buy the 2nd or 3rd tier thinking am saving money I end up throwing away the first purchase and buying the higher end equipment.