Injured Falcula Butterflyfish

AndyR83

Way better at fixing people than fish
Country flag
I was at my LFS earlier today and found this injured fish. It was in a tank with a few Heniochus that were picking on it. The store ended up giving it to me for next to nothing, and I’m about to get it set up in a tank by itself to quarantine and treat. I’m hoping to get recommendations for appropriate treatments.

I normally do a 30 minute H2O2 bath at 150ppm for all new arrivals, but it seems best to skip that given the open wounds. I’m considering a methylene blue bath instead.

I was thinking of doing a TTM approach without H2O2, dosing Metroplex every 48hrs and Prazi on days 4 and 10 like I always do with new fish, and adding SulfaPlex. Does this seem reasonable? Can these things be combined?

5E62435C-55D4-436C-98B9-D79D026A5F55.jpeg

C0D824EC-D3BC-44A4-9403-322E9B5DB35C.jpeg

5C0AAD49-6AA7-41E8-A324-DCA8CBE27617.jpeg

Jessican

Sheriff
Country flag
I agree that peroxide isn’t a good idea with an open would like that. A methylene blue bath is probably a good plan. If you still want the TTM to treat velvet, though, just make sure to use this schedule:
Tank Transfer Method For Velvet

Below is a TTM schedule which will eliminate both Ich & velvet:

Day 1 - fish in tank
Day 2 - 1st transfer at 36 hours
Day 4 - 2nd transfer at 36 hours
Day 5 - 3rd transfer at 36 hours
Day 7 - 4th transfer at 36 hours
Day 10 - 5th transfer at 71 hours
Day 13 - 6th transfer at 71 hours

^^ No chemicals (such as H2O2) required.

Basis: Assuming worst case scenario, and velvet trophonts stop dropping off a fish immediately after going into a tank, you have around 48 hours until the tomonts begin releasing free swimmers (that reinfect the fish). So, a 36 hour transfer moves the fish away from the threat before this can happen. However, velvet trophonts can also remain on a fish for as long as 96 hours so that is why you have to do more than one transfer @ 36 hours.

The "standard" 72 hour transfer (or 71 hours for good measure) can resume only near the tail end, once the threat of velvet is gone and you are just concerned about the possibility of Ich (which can remain on the fish for a longer duration - 7 days).
@Humblefish what would be the best way to work metro, prazi, and sulfaplex into this schedule?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Country flag
@Humblefish what would be the best way to work metro, prazi, and sulfaplex into this schedule?

That fish definitely needs a MB bath:

After that, treating with NFG in a QT would probably be his best shot (although that mouth wound looks pretty severe.) Furan-2 + Sulfaplex would be the next best thing.

AndyR83

Country flag
I’ve given the MB bath so far which was tolerated well. I now have this fish in a QT by itself. I don’t have NFG but I do have Furan-2 and SulfaPlex, which I’ll start right away.

I’ve noticed that she’s lying on the bottom a lot in the QT. Is this normal behavior for butterflyfish?

AndyR83

Country flag
Unfortunately the fish has died :(

I continued to observe her following my last post about lying down, and she died shortly afterwards. Thank you very much for all the good advice! I do feel like I did everything that could’ve been done today to give her a shot, so I guess there’s some comfort in that. Better than dying in a tank with a bunch of bullies picking at her!

DexterB

Country flag
Unfortunately the fish has died :(

I continued to observe her following my last post about lying down, and she died shortly afterwards. Thank you very much for all the good advice! I do feel like I did everything that could’ve been done today to give her a shot, so I guess there’s some comfort in that. Better than dying in a tank with a bunch of bullies picking at her!
I admire your choice to take her home & try to give her a chance with your treatments efforts. Kind & praiseworthy act.