Introducing Quarantined Inverts.

Dr.Reef

Always at your service.
HF Vendor
Country flag
I have had a lot of demand for quarantined inverts from many hobbyists.
So I have decided to carry just a handful of snails and shrimp to see how things go.
As inverts cannot be treated by copper or cp, my only approach to this would be to do Tank transfer few times in sterile tanks and leave them in for 76-80 days before shipping them out.
Prices are reasonable.

For more details and information please check out at https://quarantinedfish.us/inverts.

For orders please email: quarantinedfish@gmail.com

Last edited:

Dr.Reef

Always at your service.
HF Vendor
Country flag
TTM every 3 days for 15 days insures ich make it to next stage just like in fish

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Country flag
TTM every 3 days for 15 days insures ich make it to next stage just like in fish

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way with tomonts which encyst upon corals & inverts. Even if we discount the infamous "72 day variant" you can see from below how unpredictable the tomont stage is:

Table1_zpsfwf5goxj.jpg

Dr.Reef

Always at your service.
HF Vendor
Country flag
does that mean even if i kept them 76 days in a fishless system its better way to control and cure them compared to TTM for 15 days and 30 days in observation?

mattzang

Country flag
So if we toss out the 72 day mark which was cold water if memory serves, the second longest trophont would be 28 days?

But then velvet trophonts are 6 weeks? So at least 6 weeks of fishless qt would be advisable?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Country flag
does that mean even if i kept them 76 days in a fishless system its better way to control and cure them compared to TTM for 15 days and 30 days in observation?
So if we toss out the 72 day mark which was cold water if memory serves, the second longest trophont would be 28 days?

But then velvet trophonts are 6 weeks? So at least 6 weeks of fishless qt would be advisable?

Even if we disregard the 72 day study, that still leaves 2 studies where it took 28 and 35 days for all of the theronts to excyst from their tomonts. So, I personally isolate all corals and most inverts to a fishless environment for 45 days just to play it safe. I am willing to risk the possibility of encountering the "72 day variant" of Ich.

I said "most inverts" because there are some exceptions listed below:

* Whether to isolate to a fishless environment for 45 or 76 days comes down to your tolerance for risk. Obviously, a longer QT period is always better from a disease prevention standpoint.

** Starfish & sea urchins cannot carry the encysted stage (Peter Burgess 1992).

*** Use a coral dip (e.g. CoralRx) to eliminate any hitchhikers or tiny crustaceans, such as pods.

(a) Or until first molt is observed. Any tomonts will be on the shedded exoskeleton.

(b) LPS & SPS both have stony components that tomonts can easily adhere to. Most soft corals contain sclerites (skeletal needles) which they use for absorbing calcium. Zoas often come on a small rock or coral plug, both of which a tomont could encyst upon.

(c) No available information on these (and others not mentioned above), so best to play it safe and QT for 76 days.

Note: The information contained in the chart above was mostly derived from Dr. Peter Burgess 1992 thesis: https://pearl.plymouth.ac.uk/bitstream/handle/10026.1/2632/PETER JOHN BURGESS.PDF?sequence=1

Dr.Reef

Always at your service.
HF Vendor
Country flag
Absolutely guys, sure we make money off our efforts but honestly its not much. The bigger reason for me at least and I am sure I can say it on other vendors behalf too is to help our hobby and hobbyists. Provide healthy livestock and have fun at it and learn as we go.
I am more than willing to change procedures for the better.

puffy127

Country flag
You can save yourself effort by not doing the 15-day TTM on inverts, since that's not really doing anything extra compared to just having the inverts in a fallow system. With inverts you are just waiting for any attached tomonts to hatch and with no fish around, they will die. So you could just do 45 or 76 days in a fallow system, depending on the level of risk you would like.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Country flag
You can save yourself effort by not doing the 15-day TTM on inverts, since that's not really doing anything extra compared to just having the inverts in a fallow system. With inverts you are just waiting for any attached tomonts to hatch and with no fish around, they will die. So you could just do 45 or 76 days in a fallow system, depending on the level of risk you would like.

^^ This exactly

The only "shortcut" I can think of is to house black mollies in your coral QT and if they are clear after 30 days then so are the corals/inverts. (y) However, this can backfire if the mollies hit with a disease, and you have to remove them and begin a fallow period from scratch. You are only potentially saving 15 days with the mollies, but could be costing yourself up to 30 additional days if the mollies show signs of any disease.

See-Fu

Country flag
does heating up the water temp up the qt process? I've always raised the water temp up to 80 degrees in teh hopes that it would cause ich and velvet cycle to speed up.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Country flag

See-Fu

Country flag
hopefully this batch of trochus snails are ok. i just added them to my display. normally i would have kept them in QT for 2 weeks, but i needed the QT for something else. lol