Is something wrong with Melvin?

tuesdayd

Country flag
He's had his mouth open for several days now. But that's the only thing about his behavior that's different. He still greets me when I approach the tank (thinking there's food). When there is food, he's still the first one to get it. No surface swimming or scratching. He still roams the tank. He's not flapping his gills or otherwise breathing rapidly.

Other fish don't seem to behave any differently so I don't think it's a whole tank issue.

Parameters have been pretty stable...just tested today, and they're about the same as the week before...and the week before that.

Salinity 1.026
Nitrate 8
Phosphate .13
Alk 8.9
Calcium 430
Temp 81

Yeah, the temp is a little high, but I was running it at 83.5 to experiment with eliminating dinos, and I didn't notice any strange behavior from any of the inhabitants - even the inverts.

It's just the open mouth...anybody have a clue what he's doing? Should I be worried?

Attachments

tuesdayd

Country flag
Thanks, Humble. I think so, but I haven’t seen any.

Let me explain. I know there are some bristles in the small tank, and I’ve moved some of the live rock from the small tank in to the new, big one to help with biodiversity. So even though I haven’t seen any, I find it hard to believe that there weren’t any hitchhikers in the rock I moved in there.

Assuming it’s a bristle encounter...is this something from which he’s likely to recover?

Not only is he a cool fish, he was a birthday gift from my father.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Country flag
Assuming it’s a bristle encounter...is this something from which he’s likely to recover?
Most likely yes; although giving him a MB bath (if possible) wouldn’t be a bad idea:

tuesdayd

Country flag
Yep, he's got about 2.5 to 3 inches of sand...and it's sand, not crushed coral so it should be to his liking. If it's not the bristle encounter I'm wondering if maybe he hurt himself diving in for the night one night.