jawfish quit eating

On day 8 of kanaplex & metroplex, jawfish in QT quit eating. He was eating great before that. It’s day 12 now and I’m ramping up the copper ~ 1 now).

I’ve tried adding garlic, but he’s still not eating. He mouths the food, but spits it back out. Other than not eating, he appears to be fine. Has a hazy spot on his dorsal fin, it’s been there since day 1 but it’s not growing.

Could it just be that he quit eating because of the antiobiotic (on day 8), and after a while he’ll get his appetite back? Again, he appears to be hungry at feeding time, but won’t swallow the food, just spits it back out.

Thanks

Jessican

Country flag
The problem here is that copper is an appetite suppressant - if he’s already not eating going into copper, you’ll be hard pressed to get him to start back up during copper treatment. If this is just prophylactic copper treatment, I would hold off on starting it - finish the antibiotics, get the meds removed from the water, and get him eating. Start the copper treatment once he’s eating well again.

You may also want to try different foods - what have you offered him so far?

DexterB

Country flag
kanaplex & metroplex are the best treatment in case of Blue-spot Jaw disease. Is this a Blue spot?

Mine liked the chunks of LRS Reef Frenzy. Jawfish are usually easy to train to use a turkey baster to deliver foods (which you may be doing). I gently blow bits toward the burrow. My Jawfish liked Reef Frenzy best - much better than mysis etc. They also like chunks better than fine pieces.

Does the Jawfish have a Pyrex container of sand in QT? They stress easily without the comfort of burrow/feel of sand. You could even put a small piece of PVC on top of the sand in the Pyrex, just to make him a bit more comfortable.

KnightlyBuzz

Country flag
I finished the 10 days of antibiotics. He’s in a QT but I have sand, rock and a pvc tee on the bottom. He’s made a nice home, so I believe he’s comfortable. He’s been eating LRS Reef Frenzy (not chunky), and was loving it.

I didn’t think about backing off/removing the copper. Good suggestion, I may end up doing that even though I’m reluctant to due to the hazy patch on his dorsal fin.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Country flag
Does the hazy patch on the fin look anything like Lympho?

KnightlyBuzz

Country flag
It’s smooth, not raised. I went ahead and started making water for the water change, and I have the polyfilter ready for removing the copper.

Unless you guys tell me otherwise I’m gonna take my chances with the hazy patch and get him eating again.