Jonah's Planted Freshwater Community

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi all! Here's some current pictures of my favorite aquarium build to date. It's an 80 gallon community tank just teeming with life! It has a ton of black mollies, a few fancy guppies, and a school of glowlite tetras. The centerpiece fish, who understandably hides under the rock pile all day, is my big common pleco. Dragon comes in at right around 12" long. There's a lot of Rotalla, chain swords, water sprite, a gorgeous group of Wisteria on the right-hand side, and some strangely not so hot Valisneria plants throughout the tank. I think the previous lighting is why those plants are pretty brown in spots.

My lighting is, get ready for this, two 80w 6500k LED panels I picked up at Menards. The heater is a Fluval E300, and my filtration consists of a HOB Sicce Shark filter that I use for carbon pouches and filter floss, and a Sicce Whale canister filter for my bulk mechanical filtration. I've also got a 190 GPH (Imagitarium I think) power head that needs to be replaced with something I can actually aim and adjust flow on. I'm running a hefty 18" air bar in the back too, because everyone loves some bubbles!

It's also worth mentioning that I built all of the shelving underneath and had to completely rebuild the stand. I got the aquarium and stand for FREE from a neighbor, but some of the welds were cracked and the finish on it was peeling and rusted. Given that it was a 15-year-old tank, I decided to redo all of the silicone as well. It's been a super fun project so far, and I'm absolutely stoked to share what comes in the future.

The water is a bit hazy still due to a bacteria bloom, but @Vincelovesfish gave me some solutions for that problem earlier today and set me up with the products I need to be dosing.

Note: The Pleco pictures are old, I just noticed the progress that my Val plants have made!

Attachments

• Center.jpg
    Center.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Dragon Whole.JPG
    Dragon Whole.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 30
  • DragonClose.JPG
    DragonClose.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 35
  • Guppies.jpg
    Guppies.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 30
  • L Side.jpg
    L Side.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 28
  • R Side.jpg
    R Side.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Stand.jpg
    Stand.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Tetras.jpg
    Tetras.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Whole.jpg
    Whole.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 34

Jabumbus

Freshwater Fanatic
Country flag
I used to breed guppies. I stopped when I realized that they were having more sex than I.....

I miss freshwater systems. They are so rewarding and I must have bred hundreds of angels (if not thousands). Your tank looks great :)
Ha! I’m hoping that the guppies in here just do their thing and make more guppies. I’m guessing that the mollies are going to do the same, but they’re all brothers and sisters so I may end having some fish with toes…

I’d love to introduce some angelfish, but the thought of aggression tells me that I sadly can’t do so (not in good conscience at least). But hey, there’s enough plant cover that it might just work!

What do you think? I’ve never kept angels, but it sounds like you have a ton of experience with them.

Country flag
It is old experience. I switched to saltwater over 40 years ago.

The Mollies reproduce very fast too. I find the females tend to die from child birth more often than guppies. I would keep only one male. Don't worry about brothers and sisters. Fish follow the guidelines set in Game of Thrones. Incest is encouraged...lol

Ha! I’m hoping that the guppies in here just do their thing and make more guppies. I’m guessing that the mollies are going to do the same, but they’re all brothers and sisters so I may end having some fish with toes…

I’d love to introduce some angelfish, but the thought of aggression tells me that I sadly can’t do so (not in good conscience at least). But hey, there’s enough plant cover that it might just work!

What do you think? I’ve never kept angels, but it sounds like you have a ton of experience with them.
You can keep angels with guppies and mollies they're much too boisterous for Angels to really care about IME. Only when angels start to breed can they get really territorial. I have a breeding pair of angels in my 60 gal and they have only bothered my gouramis. I've got some juvenile gold angels from my pair if you'd like some at some point. They're still much to small and will need a month more or so of growin

Country flag
Agree. I will say that my first saltwater tank was a 50 with a wet/dry and a single fish. He was a trigger that eventually I could hear click his teeth as saw me coming inside the house. He just about only ate goldfish and I really liked that little guy. All the equipment was funded by selling freshwater fish.

Jabumbus

Freshwater Fanatic
Country flag
You can keep angels with guppies and mollies they're much too boisterous for Angels to really care about IME. Only when angels start to breed can they get really territorial. I have a breeding pair of angels in my 60 gal and they have only bothered my gouramis. I've got some juvenile gold angels from my pair if you'd like some at some point. They're still much to small and will need a month more or so of growin
Sold! Let me know when they're ready and I'd happily give them a new home :)

Same offer is extended if these mollies have babies and you want any of them. I have no idea what I'd do with any more of those things in my tank LOL

Dierks

FisHotel Concierge
Quarantined Livestock
Vendor
Country flag
Well very cool!!! Glad you have a build thread!! Make sure to link it in your profile so we can click on it from your profile. Makes it a bit easier!!

Slowly but surely! That Seed is definitely doing something, but it could take a while to have the crystal clear water I’m after.

Any suggestions to expedite that process?
Polishing filter/diatom filter would clear that up in less than a day.

Otherwise it's more of a waiting game. Seachem clarity can work but I've had a lot of people tell me it doesn't work for them. The key to using that product is fine filter media like polyfilter/polishing pads. Its a flocculant and needs to be filtered out to work. Still I'm pretty doubtful in it being really effective most of the time.

Jabumbus

Freshwater Fanatic
Country flag
Polishing filter/diatom filter would clear that up in less than a day.

Otherwise it's more of a waiting game. Seachem clarity can work but I've had a lot of people tell me it doesn't work for them. The key to using that product is fine filter media like polyfilter/polishing pads. Its a flocculant and needs to be filtered out to work. Still I'm pretty doubtful in it being really effective most of the time.
Say less, polishing filter is on the way!

This used to be a low budget setup…

Jabumbus

Freshwater Fanatic
Country flag
Got my new polishing filter in the mail today! (Sitting next to the heater on the left side in the first pic) It’s been in for about 10 minutes, and the water is… still cloudy. Hopefully it’s crystal clear by the morning because I’m definitely sick of looking at a hazy swamp every day. I’m also hoping I can keep the filter low so it’s hidden by the plants, but I fear that I might not get proper circulation with it like that. Guess we can cross that bridge when I come to it.

Also moved one of the rotalla plants up front as the wisteria was starving it of light. With these, uhm, garage/shop lights it’s hard to believe that’s even a possibility, but the plant doesn’t look too happy so I’d believe it. Couldn’t possibly be a nutrient issue since everything else is green and luscious. 🙂

I also hacked together a temporary lighting stand while I’m waiting to get my new TIG welder to make a nice aluminum bracket. I’m fabricating a titanium exhaust for the project car, so I’d might as well have some fun with aquarium fabrication too! Something just doesn’t sit well having 120v lighting hovering above a tank with 40+ fishies in it, so I want to make sure those things don’t fall in!

Attachments

• CD255997-68F4-4F23-8CD9-3B568AB4EAFB.jpeg
    CD255997-68F4-4F23-8CD9-3B568AB4EAFB.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 5AAB0E1D-C66A-4EE5-AC9F-90A84E0175F4.jpeg
    5AAB0E1D-C66A-4EE5-AC9F-90A84E0175F4.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 4F888270-5896-4C1C-81EA-963B47D33A7C.jpeg
    4F888270-5896-4C1C-81EA-963B47D33A7C.jpeg
    127.6 KB · Views: 12