Kalkwasser

mattzang

Country flag
Who uses kalkwasser? If you do, how do you use it? In ATO? kalk stirrer? separate doser?

I feel like my sps really took off in my last tank when I started just adding in some kalkwasser manually (like just make a 1g jug of it and pour it in as my heart desired). this definitely isn't the best method, but adding it directly to my ato scared me and doing a kalk stirrer seems possibly difficult as well.

DexterB

Country flag
I don’t do SPS, but I know several ppl who have good results with kalk. Lots of growth etc.
I think you are wise doing the manual dose. I’ve read 2 horror stories where kalk nuked their tank when dosing pumps glitched.

mattzang

Country flag
I use a doser and make it up 5 gallons at a time. I have it dose overnight to help keep the pH up; works really well for me!
what doser do you use? i was thinking this is probably the best method with a timer and one of those brs 1.1 mL peristaltic pumps

D E N I N O

Country flag
I use it exclusively, I built my own stirrer with a cheap chinese magnetic stirrer and a food container.

IMG_20200613_203139.jpg

RJJMwfG.jpg

I had to increase the size on the outflow so I butchered an old canister intake... But it does the job for £40 or so.

I have the magnetic stirrer come on at 11am for 2 minutes, this is enough time to completely clear the kalk powder at the bottom. This is done with a digital plug timer.

I leave it to settle for 6 hours and then dose every hour. Water is fed in with a coralbox single doser that I had spare but you could run a powerhead or ATO intake too...

Here's a video of it mixing

I went with Kalk as I needed to run a cover on the top of my tank (my house is crap at humidity). I thought it would help with PH but the corals have flourished since switching from balling salts.

If you really wanted to get stupid with this design of kalk stirrer you could easily build a controller that used a laser and a light sensitive diode to control the stirrer so the top half was clear and the bottom half was constantly mixing.

Mount the laser halfway up, when light is blocked turn off the stirrer. When it's clear turn it on. With the exit near the top of the stirrer there should never be cloudy kalk that far up if you tuned it correctly...

Last edited:

ross0201

Country flag
what doser do you use? i was thinking this is probably the best method with a timer and one of those brs 1.1 mL peristaltic pumps
I had a free side on a Neptune Dos so I use that. But I really like the BRS dosers, I think they should market those more aggressively. The nice thing about the Dos is I shorted a few wires to make it think I have the dosing container. Now it tells me when my bucket is running low.

ross0201

Country flag
I use it exclusively, I built my own stirrer with a cheap chinese magnetic stirrer and a food container.

View attachment 6534

View attachment 6535

I had to increase the size on the outflow so I butchered an old canister intake... But it does the job for £40 or so.

I have the magnetic stirrer come on at 11am for 2 minutes, this is enough time to completely clear the kalk powder at the bottom. This is done with a digital plug timer.

I leave it to settle for 6 hours and then dose every hour. Water is fed in with a coralbox single doser that I had spare but you could run a powerhead or ATO intake too...

I went with Kalk as I needed to run a cover on the top of my tank (my house is crap at humidity). I thought it would help with PH but the corals have flourished since switching from balling salts.

If you really wanted to get stupid with this design of kalk stirrer you could easily build a controller that used a laser and a light sensitive diode to control the stirrer so the top half was clear and the bottom half was constantly mixing.

Mount the laser halfway up, when light is blocked turn off the stirrer. When it's clear turn it on. With the exit near the top of the stirrer there should never be cloudy kalk that far up if you tuned it correctly...
That's pretty slick!

mattzang

Country flag

View attachment 6534

View attachment 6535

that is really cool, thanks for sharing!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Country flag

View attachment 6534

View attachment 6535

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing. I'm gonna post this on the Homepage. :love::love::love:

Clark Griswold

Country flag
Kalk has always confused me but I’ve been interested because of how low my ph runs 7.6 - 7.7.

If you use Kalk is that all you dose and nothing else? Does it do Alk and Calc at equal levels?

D E N I N O

Country flag
Kalk has always confused me but I’ve been interested because of how low my ph runs 7.6 - 7.7.

If you use Kalk is that all you dose and nothing else? Does it do Alk and Calc at equal levels?
I don't know about the balance of alk and calcium but when I test it's "near enough" for me. I don't really chase any numbers other than alkalinity which I keep at 8. If calcium is anywhere between 375ppm and 450ppm I don't really care.

I use the Brightwell Kalk+ which has magnesium in it too but I don't think it has enough, about once a fortnight I manually adjust my Magnesium levels with aquaforest salts to keep it in balance but I don't worry about it much.

mikeintoronto

The only time I use (or used) kalkwasser was when I needed to bring up my alkalinity and calcium at an equal rate. So if my parameters were all low I dosed kalk and once I got it to a decent level I continued dosing with carbonate or calcium independently. Once the tank ages a bit it’s easier to keep it balanced with 2 part.
If you use the trident’s controlled dosing you never have to do anything except refill the containers.

Potoooooooo

Country flag
I was always afraid of this with ATO; I'm just too big a control freak to let it be dosed willy nilly whatever my evap is that day!
Or if something happens that impacts the drain or return and the ATO overfills to compensate.

For those using Kalk, how often do you test alk?

KenB

Country flag
I use an Icecap 150 Kalk stirrer. I dose RODI water with a GHL maxi doser. My 160g total volume system gets dosed 1g per day spread out over 14 doses. FWIW, my system evaporates an average of 1.75g per day.
Once a week I empty, rinse and refill the kalk stirrer. Presently I am using 130grams of kalk per week.

I run the stirrer off a controller and have it stir for 15 minutes 30 minutes prior to dosing. So basically the kalk solution settles for 15 minutes prior to the dose operation.

clsanchez77

20 Year Noob
Country flag
I used kalkwasser for a long time. Overtime, the stirrers clog up so they do require regular service. Also, I was concerned that I was not getting the alkalinity boost I was expecting, so I did some testing and found that the stirrers do not come close to maintaining saturated kalk. A kalk reactor using a pump to mix, while hard on the pump, does a far better job of delivering saturated kalkwasser. I would not run one without a ph probe though.

35ppt

Comrad Snowflake
Country flag
I started with hand dosing 2 part then added kalk to the ATO but that was too variable and I would have to compensate with hand dosing. I was never able to drip it without it clogging and stopping/slowing the drip. But I only ever tried that on a small tank maybe it would be better on a larger tank because the valve would be open more? Now I dose 2 part with a couple X1's on each tank. I'd like to try dosing kalk with a third X1 to help raise pH and reduce the amount of 2 part I use.

mattzang

Country flag
I started with hand dosing 2 part then added kalk to the ATO but that was too variable and I would have to compensate with hand dosing. I was never able to drip it without it clogging and stopping/slowing the drip. But I only ever tried that on a small tank maybe it would be better on a larger tank because the valve would be open more? Now I dose 2 part with a couple X1's on each tank. I'd like to try dosing kalk with a third X1 to help raise pH and reduce the amount of 2 part I use.
how do you like the x1s? i was thinking of going with the x1 pros, but not super sold. i like the idea of the single head dosers since i don't need 3 let alone 4 of them and that keeps the price down

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Country flag
I've used kalk for decades, but my dosing technique is pretty low tech. ;) I just stir some up in a pitcher (using RODI), gravity drip feed it into my sump using crimped air line tubing, and dump whatever is left directly into the sump the next morning. The tank is cloudy for a few minutes, but I've never lost any livestock doing it this way.

35ppt

Comrad Snowflake
Country flag
how do you like the x1s? i was thinking of going with the x1 pros, but not super sold. i like the idea of the single head dosers since i don't need 3 let alone 4 of them and that keeps the price down
They're fine IMO. The app is clunky and the reservoir monitoring doesn't work. If they loose power they loose their sync so the program starts over but you just open the pump up in the app and it re-syncs. I have them plugged into the battery backup so it's a non-issue. But they get the job done. I have far more faith in these than the Jebao dosers and way less expensive than the usual options.