Lets Not Be Snowflakes

Paul B

Country flag
Lets not be Snowflakes. Our Fathers or in most of your cases Grand Fathers got drafted and had to go to war. Many of them were away for 6 years making little pay and living in horrible conditions.

418,000 Americans Didn't make it home, dying on the battlefield.

To put it into perspective, As of today about 400 Americans died of Corona Virus, mostly older people. (like me)

I certainly don't want to see anyone dying of any disease but about 29,000 Americans die in traffic accidents every year.
40 Americans die from getting bitten by dogs.

Over 1,000 Americans die every year of food poisoning. and 42,000 Americans died in one year from falling down.

My generation got drafted and most of us went without thinking about it. Our lives were put on hold for either 2- 4- or 6 years
58,300 of us died in Viet Nam.

The vast majority of us, even if we contract the Corona Virus will survive with very little discomfort.
The Government is asking us to stay home for a couple of weeks and most of us will even get paid.

I used to call that a vacation.
Trust me, our Government doesn't want us to die. If we all died they would have to hunt for food and I can't see most of them skinning a squirrel for lunch. (I won't mention names)

This is not that big a deal as far as American History goes unless you are a snowflake. :cool:

Paul B

Country flag
In these tough times My wife and I have been trying to get innovative and to do things that don't involve other people, or at least not other people that have to get to close.

This week we played a few Scrabble and Monopoly games that I had to dig out of mothballs.
We do a crossword puzzle at night and we also have a WII game, which is on the TV and we can play golf
(I hate golf), tennis, boat racing and a few others.

I touched up some paint that my wife has been telling me to do for a while. :rolleyes:

We take a walk or I ride my bicycle.
I have hobbies and a nice workshop/Man cave so I could occupy myself forever but my wife can't. Her hobbies all involve exercise, mostly in a gym which of course are closed now.

I don't want to leave her alone to much because she is already to depressed that she can't do any of her things (her MS medication increases depression) and now she has a big leg brace which she hates. But in the scope of things, it's better than what a lot of people have to endure.

All in All the people around here all seem happy and are coping.
WE were donating food (bagels) to a hospital until our Daughter yelled at us to stay home so now all we can do is call a restaurant and have them deliver it to them.

I don't know if we will do that today. The "older" people here are all living with someone so they are taken care of.

I will see how many times I can wash my car today and clean the glass on my tank. My fish are getting mad at me as they are tired of looking at my face. ;Wideyed
But it's the entire world which doesn't make it sound any better.

Early in the morning I always turn on the TV to see if the thing peaked yet, and as we know, it has not. Here in New York our hospitals are filling up and they have tents in the parking lot for the overflow.

Thankfully the children aren't affected as much. Our Grand Kids left Manhattan and are in Vermont on top of a mountain far away from anyone except cows. Thank God for Skype.

It should peak soon (we hope) and I hope everyone stays safe and healthy,

DexterB

Country flag
That hurts my heart that your wife can’t go to the gym. I know that her exercise program is her passion & joy from your writings. But of course with MS it is important for her physically & releases endorphins to help battle depression.

Does your wife have a physical therapist who could send her a video of appropriate exercises to do at home? Maybe even Skype with her about it? You & your wife are so friendly & outgoing, she must miss the social aspect of the gym as well.

Surely this is a need of many people during this Corona issue. You have brought up an important point. People like your wife just can’t look at any exercise on the internet because they need some guidance from a physical therapist.
The leg brace must make it challenging, so I know she would need professionally approved exercises by someone in the physical therapy field.

Paul B

Country flag
Dexter, Thank you for your post , we just had a Video Chat with her Neurologist as that is how he is "visiting" patients now.
The gym for most people is to get and stay in good physical shape, for disabled people it is a little more important.

Her depression is what disturbs me the most and the hardest thing to manage. We know that now so many more people are "really" ill and that is what we are focused on now, but that won't make her feel better and I know that when this virus Pandemic wanes, and we go back to our lives, she will still have this.

Our local hospital now has a refrigerated trailer in their parking lot because their morgue is full and they can't bury the poor patients that died from this. That is a horrible thought. Here in New York I understand we are the hardest hit. I guess thats because there are so many of us and 2,000,000 people rode the subway every day. Now I am not sure how many are on it but that thing is a bucket of germs and there is no way to get away from it as cabs aren't any better.

I am glad I am retired and don't have to go into Manhattan.

My wife does have a physical therapist she goes to every week and she talks to her every week. She also does the exercises as much as she can at home. Much of her routine involves a therapist holding and guiding her and there are machines and devices she uses.

Last night I was thinking about this and I remembered something disturbing. I used to Play Santa Claus in NYU in Manhattan that has a floor for Cancer children and infants. Those kids and little babies are the worst of the cancer patients and something like 40% of them don't make it.

On the best day it is heartbreaking but of all the kids I visited there, every one was happy and looking forward to the future. Not one ever complained even covered in tubes and wires.
Now with this situation I am sure no one can visit those little patients so I don't know what they are doing. Those kids have no immune system due to chemo and radiation.

Our situation, almost no matter how annoying, is not that bad when I think of much less fortunate people who have other severe things plus this.

scubabeth

Country flag
Good morning, Paul! I'm sorry to hear that your wife is struggling with all that comes with needing to stay at home right now. Since she is a social person, I'm sure not interacting with others regularly does make her feel more down. At least she has you and your crazy antics and stories to give her a chuckle, and you mentioned Skype with the kids and grandkids; technology is great in that respect. Even though she can do some of the therapy exercises at home, it doesn't sound like it's going to be the same for her until she can get back to the PT's office. Hopefully just staying as active as she can will help keep her on the right track with her movement.

It sounds like the two of you are dong many things for fun these days! Way to be innovative and spend time together doing fun things. :)

James has been teleworking during the day, so I've done things around the house that I've wanted to do, as well. The Spring cleaning, if you will. The house is all sparkly! Also, out here in TX we have to conserve water, so the water company offers a program that allows you to accrue "points" to spend at local garden centers. Since we've lost so much int he stock market lately, I need to save money wherever I can. 😂 The program normally has workshops you can go to to get these points, but now it's online. Today, I'm doing the last of a 3 part series on bugs...the good and bad, and how to treat the ones you don't want around. In fact, the next one starts in 4 minutes, so I'm off for now.

Have a great morning!

Paul B

Country flag
Thats great Beth but a shame about the stocks and water use. Here in NY I think we have to much water as it has been raining constantly except for today and we have no restrictions. We have friends in I think Dallas and they told us about the water and they have a pool they can't go in because it's to hot.

My wife is sitting outside now because I washed my car so I told her to sit in the sun for a while and catch some rays.
I also took a class on bugs. Our big threat here, besides this virus now are ticks which carry Lymes disease. Lymes is very prevalent around here and a lot of the ticks are carried on deer which we are inundated with .

Lymes disease mimics MS with symptoms and before they diagnose you with MS, they treat you for Lymes.

I don't know if I lost money in stocks as I have a guy that takes care of that for me and now he has bone cancer and is in the hospital getting radiation and is very sick.

My wife actually went to grammar school with him and his wife so they are close friends.

phatduckk

Country flag
I have no problem staying home. Pretty easy all things considered. It is getting tough w/ the kids though. They're 3 and 5 so they're too young to explain it to and they really want to go to the park and/or see their friends.

I have enough house projects to keep me pretty busy. I might even setup a QT tank and get a couple fish from my LFS (they do curbside delivery & I phoned in $200 for store credit last week to trying help them out; So no $ exchange needed).

DexterB

Country flag
[
Last night I was thinking about this and I remembered something disturbing. I used to Play Santa Claus in NYU in Manhattan that has a floor for Cancer children and infants. Those kids and little babies are the worst of the cancer patients and something like 40% of them don't make it.

On the best day it is heartbreaking but of all the kids I visited there, every one was happy and looking forward to the future. Not one ever complained even covered in tubes and wires.
Now with this situation I am sure no one can visit those little patients so I don't know what they are doing. Those kids have no immune system due to chemo and radiation.
Glad you & your wife can enjoy the sunshine. I am blessed, I work from home anyway doing design. I meet with clients 3 to 5 times during their build, the rest is done through emails. I had just finished with my latest clients about 2 weeks before the virus hit our state. My new clients are a nice couple & the wife is in chemo treatment now. So I will Skype or other methods etc. to protect her immmunity. My husband lost his best friend to cancer a few months ago, so we always followed directions at the cancer center hospital to visit him. We had to glove, gown, hat & footie up to do so. So you are right, the little kids/babies are really impacted with these restrictions & mask etc shortage. Good reminder for us all.

We have a local restaurant (we can walk to ) owned by a brother & sister. They took away all their chairs & put the tables together for basic needs supplies. They have toilet paper, apples, sanitizer etc on table. We ordered yesterday - my husband used it as an excuse to get banana pudding. BTW banana pudding is not classified as a basic need. You call them & can order off the regular menu or a basic needs item to be delivered. It is cool to see how they are modifying to keep their business running & help others at the same time.

Tamberav

Country flag
I am a nurse and work on a med/surgical floor that is also the oncology floor and acute care for the elderly (we are many things). 10 of my co-workers are on paid leave because they were exposed to a covid pt. They are out because our whole floor is made up of people with poor immune systems and one mess up could wipe them out. I now feel like I bathe in alcohol with how many times I wipe the work computers and my personal belongings like my stethoscope and badge and shoes and so on down. We all strip outside or in the garage before we go in the house and take a shower immediately.

We try not to go into pt's rooms these days and limit the amount we go in. Before it was about being responsive and anticipating needs but now we just want to be in their rooms as little as possible to limit potential exposure.

There are no visitors allowed so children are alone and scared with no parents to comfort them and those who are very ill and those that die... die without their family near.

I don't worry about myself as much as I do for others. I feel like I walk through a germ minefield at work and don't want to mess up and infect someone by accident.

What is happening in New York is shocking, frightening, sad... many emotions. We are not nearly that bad but it's not close to peak here yet. .. every day seems to double the number.

Paul B

Country flag
Tamberav, I sincerely thank you for what you do and I know it is tough. My wife and I have been calling restaurants here and having them deliver food for the staff of our local hospital that are inundated with patients and the staff of about 100 are quarantined and can't go home until this is over. They are asking for food and bottled water so we have been trying to help. Out here on eastern Long Island there is also a movement to keep the restaurants in business so it helps the hospital workers and the businesses which I hope will stay in business in the healthy future.

Don't get me wrong, we are not Saints and we don't do this every day. I would like to and I should, but I don't. It is because of laziness but I am going to try to get lazy self to do more.

I understand that half of the cases of virus in the country are in New York. Lucky us. :confused:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Country flag
@Tamberav Thank you for all that you do. I know this came on suddenly, and now it must feel like being in the middle of a plague. :( I don't know if you are a religious person, but times in my life when I have felt overwhelmed by problems I could not possibly solve on my own... Praying always seemed to help. I didn't always get the outcome I was hoping for, but rather a solution I could live with.

scubabeth

Country flag
@Tamberav, we are all so grateful to you and all of the health care professionals who are on the front lines and caring for patients--those with "normal" health issues and those with Corona virus. I imagine that your occupation would always require attention to detail, but the addition now of needing to try to follow every protocol to keep your immune-compromised patients from becoming infected would be extra stressful. I hate the thought of scared children without their parents and patients not able to have their families near them when they pass, and I'm sure it's hard for you to watch...and not to be able to comfort them much yourselves, for fear of passing things along to others. Please also take care of yourself, both physically and emotionally, and know we're all supporting the medical professionals with our prayers, care packages of meals, snacks, water, and that you all have our respect and gratitude.

clsanchez77

20 Year Noob
Country flag
I have no problem staying home. Pretty easy all things considered. It is getting tough w/ the kids though. They're 3 and 5 so they're too young to explain it to and they really want to go to the park and/or see their friends.
I agree. My wife and I are fortunate to be professionals. Our "only" problem is working from home is the four kids that need attention lol. Ours are 5, 8, 8 and 11 going on 16. We have enough bandwidth for both us to work from home on different corporate VPN accounts and for all of my kids to play online games with their kids. Going to the store is only slightly more inconvenient than normal....but then I normally hate going in public so for me this is no different.

My wife is struggling far more than I as everything needs to be planned and executed by plan. She does our grocery list two days in advance, thinks through the next week, supplements it, maps out 3-4 stores she needs go to and panics when she can't find something. I pick one store and my shopping list is a function of what's in stock at the one store I chose. Clearly one of us is doing better at this QT than the other :D

I'm concerned about this disease. I surely don't want it, nor do I want my wife, my kids, my father, her mother or anyone else we know, don't know, care about, don't care about, democrats, republicans, blacks, whites, gays, not gays or even catholics, baptists, jews, muslims, atheists, or Star Trek fans to catch this. Unfortunately, diseases are a function of life - a consequence of living in society. Coronavirus, regardless government fault or incompetence, is the bubonic plaque, the scarlet fever, the malaria or ebola of our time and place. We have had decades without a major global war or medical pandemic in the US. We have created a perfect environment for a new virus thanks to decades of global success. We have the highest populations in human history with many cities having population densities that make me cringe. Many of our global peers are moving into their big cities for the first time and their cities are growing into new areas that will expose more new diseases. Europe was here millennia ago and the US was here just two centuries ago. This will not be the last disease outbreak humans have to encounter.

Looking forward, the US will soon reach its peak in new cases, followed a few weeks later with a peak in ICUs and deaths. I believe we are the last major country on its first wave - which is good. Things will taper, we will go out and shake hands again, and then there will be a smaller second wave. That is reality. Some people will naturally be more afraid to come out and others are already itching to jump the gun. All human nature. The sad fact is civilization must continue. Our ability to care for and prolong the lives of the weak is not natural and this virus will feed on them like a lion on a herd of antelope. Sure not everyone appears weak at the surface, but that is because we have conquered things like diabetes and heart disease. Even though life today can be comfortable with these diseases, they are still diseases and still weakness to be exploited by a viral infection.

As humans, we have eliminated every natural predator we could have, making us the ultimate Apex predator. Viruses are really the only that can take us out in mass....well viruses, polar bears and meteors.

DexterB

Country flag
@Tamberav - as others have said thanks beyond measure for what you do every time you go into work. We have always admired & appreciated nurses, but even more so this last year. The last year we had 3 seriously ill family/friends who were in & out of hospitals. Even under “normal” circumstances the care & devotion of nurses is inspiring. The profession of a medical caregiver is a calling that truly selfless individuals answer. Heartfelt prayers for you & all the medical workers in the world as you face all these overwhelming challenges.

Tamberav

Country flag
Thank you guys for the kind words and thank you for doing what you can for others though this and practicing social distancing.

Paul..thank you for what you are doing in an area that has been hit so hard. I know they appreciate the support. I wish I had some idea of what you guys could do while under lock down.

I hope everyone stays well

Paul B

Country flag
Great post Clsanchez.

democrats, republicans, blacks, whites, gays, not gays or even catholics, baptists, jews, muslims, atheists, or Star Trek fans t
Thank God I am not one of "those" people. ;)

Tamberav, I think the hospital staff was getting tired of bagels and Pizza so yesterday we had a restaurant send them a tray of Chicken Marsala. :giggle:

We can't do this every day but we are not starving and this Pandemic is forcing us to not spend money as we can't really go anywhere anyway.
I am also older than most people here so I don't have to save for anything. Our Daughter is grown and she and her husband have to take care of the Grand Kids leaving us to go sky diving, ballroom dancing and spelunking. :rolleyes:

My wife and I have been married for 46 years (I think) and we are still also best friends and still like to hang out with each other. After so many years you become "one" person of one mind.

We take walks, take rides out east to parks or beaches (although it's still cold) talk to the neighbors (I carry a ruler so we stay at a safe distance) :giggle:

WE also have a WII game on the TV that we dug out. We can play golf, or tennis. Boat racing or some other silly thing.
We do a crossword puzzle, play Scrabble or Monopoly. Skype the grand Kids and friends we haven't seen and meant to talk to and I like to cook.

Then I go to my Man cave/workshop and maybe build something or play with the fish as my wife calls her friends.
There is plenty to do. Now we are going to see if we can take out breakfast in a diner and we will have it, (in the car) on the beach.
I have a Jeep and I can drive right up to the water as the waves break.
I like to think up things to annoy Humblefish.

So there are plenty of things we can do.

Paul B

Country flag
We did get "take out" from a diner and went to a local beach and drove almost up to the crashing waves.
Then I took out my DIY hand sanitizer and cleaned my hands and steering wheel, radio, turn signal etc and opened the breakfast cartons and coffee.

We had a nice breakfast and found a dumpster to dump the cartons. Then I took another sanitizer and cleaned our hands, steering wheel etc and made sure we didn't touch our face.

While there we saw a young girl, about 20, walk in front of my car and sit on the rocks near us. It was raining and as she started to leave we noticed that she had on a Fordham shirt. Our Daughter graduated Fordham 20 years ago and just went back there for Law School.

We rolled down the window and commented on her shirt and told her our Daughter goes there.
She was very polite and nice and said her brother goes to Fordham and she was going to The Annapolis Naval Academy.
I said that was fantastic. Then she said she got into "West Point Military academy " which blew me away as that is the best school in the country, maybe the world. I was so impressed by this young Lady. :giggle: I love to see someone like that, someone who will make a difference in the world. Someone with respect, social graces and brains. She saw my Viet Nam Veteran hat and thanked me for my service. Fantastic girl and I hope I see her again as I would love to talk to her more.

We took a nice ride and found neighborhoods and places with in a mile or two from our home that we didn't even know existed.

We looked at all the homes, most of which are impeccably neat and landscaped beautifully. Of course we also notice the homes that we would give a summons to if we were the Landscape Police :cool: But we find very few of those.

I also notice all the people here that display an American Flag, as I always do and it makes me happy to see so many Patriotic families especially in times like these. Some people even put up Christmas lights to raise spirits.

I think Americans at least, will come out of this better, stronger and nicer and maybe with all this money going into medical research they will come up with cures for the diseases that will still be here when the virus leaves. Things like cancer, heart disease, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkensons and others. We should not forget about those people who have afflictions besides this.

But right now, rightfully so we have to focus on the disease at hand. Here in New York we are not doing to good, but I am sure this will pass and hopefully we won't lose many more, or any more great people :)

That was actually the beach where I collect water. The girl was sitting on those rocks.