Lets Talk Wrasse

Users who are viewing this thread

Alcatraz

Country flag
Let's talk wrasse a thread dedicated solely to wrasses.

Need one identified post a pic, have some general questions ask them, just wanna share pics of your wrasse or wrasses share them.

CirrhilabrusComplexesRevC.png

Last edited:

Alcatraz

Country flag
For those that dont know I also moderate the Wrasse Lovers group on Facebook. A while ago Kai (Lemon Tyk) posted 59 days of fairy wrasses. Since I'm going to be reposting them there I also thought I would share here.

Screenshot_20210109-004355_Chrome.jpg

Dierks

HF Vendor
Country flag
I will snap a couple photos of the wrasse I have in my care right now but for now here are some that I posted on the "Share your fish Photos" Thread.

Lubbock's fairy wrasse
DSC01467.jpg

Carpenters Wrasse
CarpentersWrasse(1).jpg
CarpentersWrasse(2).jpg

OrangeBack Wrasse
Orange-Sided-Wrasse.jpg

Female Social Fairy Wrasse
FemaleSocialFairyWrasse.jpg

mattzang

Country flag
i have only the worst pics of my wrasses, they're so hard to properly photograph with a crappy iphone and they're too active and quick

i currently have:

red line wrasse halichoeres biocellatus
yellow wrasse halichoeres chrysus
flame fairy wrasse cirrhilabrus jordani
hooded fairy wrasse cirrhilabrus bathyphilus
orangeback fairy wrasse cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis
pintail fairy wrasse cirrhilabrus isosceles
moyers leopard wrasse macropharygondon moyeri

they're all pretty awesome fish. i'd love to add an anampses neoguinaicus the china wrasse and maybe another leopard of some sort, but i did have a pencil wrasse and the red line wrasse was totally intolerant of him. other than that he's a super peaceful fish so i'm not sure what his deal was. my yellow wrasse doesn't like my copperband butterfly for some reason, but he doesn't chase or anything, just kind of.. intimidates around feeding

that was one of my last videos before i had to go fallow for velvet

S.Pepper

Country flag
I cannot think of a better thread!!! My entire tank is dedicated to wrasses--although, i do have a yellow watchman gobi. Currently, I have a yellow wrasse. Unfortunately, my melanurus passed after 5 months. An absolute perfect specimen i bought from TSM Aquatics. Not sure what happened, but i believe he hurt his jaw while sand diving one night.

I currently have on order from Dr. Reef a splendid pintail, mccosker's, black leopard, and dusky wrasse. Hopefully, the pintail and mccosker's will be sent this coming week.

Here's a pic of that melanurus. rip
1610229180553.png

S.Pepper

Country flag
i have only the worst pics of my wrasses, they're so hard to properly photograph with a crappy iphone and they're too active and quick

i currently have:

red line wrasse halichoeres biocellatus
yellow wrasse halichoeres chrysus
flame fairy wrasse cirrhilabrus jordani
hooded fairy wrasse cirrhilabrus bathyphilus
orangeback fairy wrasse cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis
pintail fairy wrasse cirrhilabrus isosceles
moyers leopard wrasse macropharygondon moyeri

they're all pretty awesome fish. i'd love to add an anampses neoguinaicus the china wrasse and maybe another leopard of some sort, but i did have a pencil wrasse and the red line wrasse was totally intolerant of him. other than that he's a super peaceful fish so i'm not sure what his deal was. my yellow wrasse doesn't like my copperband butterfly for some reason, but he doesn't chase or anything, just kind of.. intimidates around feeding

that was one of my last videos before i had to go fallow for velvet

Yes, they can be difficult to photograph. I'm getting better, but still much improvement is needed. Awesome collection!

Max_nano

Country flag
Is there a wrasse I can keep in my 25g bare bottom tank? I don’t want to put a cup of sand in so I know that plus my small size limit the options.

I have a lid from clear view coming soon so I’m working on potential additions

mattzang

Country flag
pink streaked would work too

and i wouldn't recommend it and it might be a bit borderline on tank size, but sixline's don't require sand

worth mentioning early in the thread: sixlines are the worst, DON'T DO IT!

Tamberav

Country flag
I have a 80g with: China wrasse, Timor wrasse, Earmuff wrasse, Bluestar leopard wrasse, Kuiter's leopard wrasse, Pencil wrasse, and a normal Leopard wrasse.

All fish are going through hybrid TTM in prep for an upgrade. I plan to add more leopards (black, potters, maybe some more blue stars), a pink streak, a tamarin wrasse, and a radiant wrasse in the upgrade.

Historically super skittish fish like fairys don't do well for me so I will just stick to the sand types. I am sure my 3 bengal cats slapping the front of the tank does not help. The leopards don't seem to freak out about the cats or every little thing like fairy wrasse do.

Here are photos of some of my wrasse. I have had the bluestar a few years and the earmuff and china wrasse were small juvi's when I got them. Everyone has grown considerably from when I bought them.

wrasse2.jpg

wrasse3.jpg
wrasse4.jpg
wrasse5.jpg
wrasse1.jpg

Last edited:

S.Pepper

Country flag
I have a 80g with: China wrasse, Timor wrasse, Earmuff wrasse, Bluestar leopard wrasse, Kuiter's leopard wrasse, Pencil wrasse, and a normal Leopard wrasse.

All fish are going through hybrid TTM in prep for an upgrade. I plan to add more leopards (black, potters, maybe some more blue stars), a pink streak, a tamarin wrasse, and a radiant wrasse in the upgrade.

Historically super skittish fish like fairys don't do well for me so I will just stick to the sand types. I am sure my 3 bengal cats slapping the front of the tank does not help. The leopards don't seem to freak out about the cats or every little thing like fairy wrasse do.

Here are photos of some of my wrasse. I have had the bluestar a few years and the earmuff and china wrasse were small juvi's when I got them. Everyone has grown considerably from when I bought them.

View attachment 12336
View attachment 12337View attachment 12338View attachment 12339View attachment 12335

Beautiful. Luv that orange? timor and china wrasse.

esther

Country flag
I honestly didn't want any wrasses in my tank because they looked too much like fish. I know, that sounds psychotic, but it's true. lol

We just added our last wrasse a couple of weeks ago; an orangeback wrasse (no pics yet... he's a fast mofo). We have a flame wrasse, labouti wrasse and a lineatus wrasse. Here are some pics.

_DSC6758.JPG
_DSC7385.JPG
_DSC7398.JPG

Alcatraz

Country flag
Is there a wrasse I can keep in my 25g bare bottom tank? I don’t want to put a cup of sand in so I know that plus my small size limit the options.

I have a lid from clear view coming soon so I’m working on potential additions
Possums