Lots of SPS Coral growth with no fish.

KenB

Country flag
My tank has had no fish due to an ICK issue. During the last 72 days I expected to loose corals knowing I might not be able to keep things stable. That said, I have 50+ snails and 3 shrimp. Also the tank has Pods and some worm I have yet to identify.

Initially I lost one coral, it was one fox flame. I had a second one in the tank and it was fine.

All my remaining SPS show lots of growth. My Walt Disney has turned into a weed.
Sorry for the poor pictures but you can see the changes and growth.

WD Two months before the fish came out. It had some growth prior to going fishless, but I would say it was minimal mostly just encrusting.
disney.jpg

Today
IMG_2392.jpg

This Barbies Millepora had only encrusted the plug it was on. This image was one month prior to removing fish.
barbies millepora.jpg

Today
IMG_2393.jpg

I know crap pictures.... But you can see the changes.

What did I do.. nothing special to be honest, I kept the tank parameters as stable as I could and dosed some Nitrate and Phosphate additives. Also I fed the tank a light amount of the normal feeding I would do if I had fish in it.
(I have a 130G tank)
I used Easy SPS to feed coral daily. 2 scoops , I dosed 10ml of Brightwell NeoPhos daily and 1 teaspoon of Green Leaf Aquariums KNO3 once a week. Respectively those kept my Phosphates at .02-.04 and Nitrates around 10-15

IMG_2394.jpg

I also use Kalkwaser and I keep my PH up with a recirculating CO2 scrubber. These also could have allot to do with the growth considering they all went on line just prior to removing fish.

Anyway, I just wanted to post this info for anyone that might be going down the fallow path.

Potoooooooo

Country flag
Nice results! Fox flames can be finicky, I have one growing well now but a previous one RTNd out of the blue.
What are the general dates for the before pics?

mattzang

Country flag
did you start with dry rock? how old is your tank? did you always have acro success?

i've been pondering this a lot recently as i prepare for buying some corals for my tank. it's only gonna be 4ish months old when i try some acros, but i did use my rock from my 2 year old tank so one would think it'd be nice and biodiverse. however, my salinity spike issue may have killed off a lot of goodies, so it'll be interesting to see.

Me dry rock and dry sand. Since removed my sand. Tank is now gonna hit 14 months old lol. I know your asking Ken but I hope my tank goes in over drive anyyyyy day

mattzang

Country flag
Me dry rock and dry sand. Since removed my sand. Tank is now gonna hit 14 months old lol. I know your asking Ken but I hope my tank goes in over drive anyyyyy day
yeah i don't want to wait no 14 months :D so my plan is: if the frags struggle despite decent chemical parameters, i'm gonna order me some tbsaltwater or kpaquatics live rock and just toss it in a container with a heater and powerhead for a couple months and ghost feed a bit. that seems to have been the fix for paletta and that reefbum dude

KenB

Country flag
did you start with dry rock? how old is your tank? did you always have acro success?

i've been pondering this a lot recently as i prepare for buying some corals for my tank. it's only gonna be 4ish months old when i try some acros, but i did use my rock from my 2 year old tank so one would think it'd be nice and biodiverse. however, my salinity spike issue may have killed off a lot of goodies, so it'll be interesting to see.
I did start with dry rock and bare bottom. My tank cycle was started in July of 2019. The first fish where put in it in Oct 2019 (thanks @Humblefish). YES, that's a very long cycle.... it was meant to be one month shorter but the first shipment of fish to Robert had problems so we waited. The first corals went in late Nov 2019.. 50% died. The next batch went in late Jan they survived some have grown nicely others are honestly still very small. I have added other coral continually up until I had to go fallow. Some are slow growers and others are not.

This is my first tank since I left the hobby back in 1989. FWIW, I read... I read allot and find the best methods within my means. Also I have to be patient above all. As they say, nothing in this hobby is fast.. Last but not least I have two excellent mentors/friends that put up with my constant questions. @Sisterlimonpot @SawcJack00 Thanks you two.

Last edited:
Slow grow or no grow is fine I'll be happy with that. But not happy with turning white at base or algae on tips. My vinh is only one looking good and same since added. It's a trooper. Pc rainbow encrusting part turned white. 2 tips were white then algae and but it's still alive. It's in ICU lolol