Lymphocystis

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Country flag
Lymphocystis

What You Need To Know:

* This is a virus that many fish carry for life. The white nodules (cauliflower-like growths) can grow both externally and internally; so symptoms are not always visible.
* There is no known cure for Lympho. However, feeding vitamin-enriched foods and maintaining pristine water conditions will help send the virus into remission.
* Lympho is rarely fatal; typically only older or weakened fish are at risk.

Additional Information

Lymphocystis appears as a white or beige colored wart-like growth that usually starts on the fins and spines and sometimes spreads to the body. It can also grow over internal organs, including a fish’s gills. Initially it may be small (looks like Ich), but then grows in size (which is how you know it’s not Ich). Lympho is a virus that many fish carry for life. Fortunately, it is rarely fatal or even harmful to the fish, and symptoms will come and go.

Treatment OptionsNo known cure or treatment exists. However, feeding vitamin-enriched foods and maintaining pristine water conditions may expedite the “going away” process. The lesions/nodules typically clear in 2-3 weeks, but can also take months in rare instances.

More detailed information: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa181

BantyRooster97

Country flag
So quick question on the use of mollies. I bought 6 - 2 weeks ago to use as canaries & acclimated them. I tossed 2 in my tank last week and they were dead the next morning. Tried it again a day later & the same result. What would kill them that fast? They deteriorated rather quickly so its hard to say what caused it. They lost some of their color/scales & edges to their fins though. (They were in an acclimation box I have an anemone in, just to be clear)

They were in a tank of their own at the same salinity, so it's not the salt. This is the same tank I just introduced the quarantined Achilles & Solar wrasse. This is the same tank I had ick or velvet in earlier this year. I let it sit fallow for 107 days (it did have anemones, SPS, zoas, shrooms, snails, crabs & sea cumcumbers in it the whole time).

Just worried I have something still in here that may harm the 2 fish I just introduced.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Country flag
They were in their own 2.5 gallon tank with a filter for 4 days as I slowly brought the salinity up to the same as my tank.
That should have worked fine. Even if they had an external freshwater disease, the rise in salinity should have cured that. Were these the smaller black mollies? I've had the best luck using Balloons and Sailfins.

BantyRooster97

Country flag
Would any of the coral, nems, inverts, sea cucumber, snails, etc harbor velvet or something similar? I left the tank fishless for 100+ days. I thought I originally had ick but the more I think about it, it killed fast like velvet. I don't want to go through that again. If I didn't have so many high dollar SPS, I'd start the tank over.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
HF Vendor
Country flag
Would any of the coral, nems, inverts, sea cucumber, snails, etc harbor velvet or something similar? I left the tank fishless for 100+ days. I thought I originally had ick but the more I think about it, it killed fast like velvet. I don't want to go through that again. If I didn't have so many high dollar SPS, I'd start the tank over.
Were there any hypoxic regions you may have not accounted for?

Read this: https://humble.fish/community/index.php?threads/fallow-periods-going-fishless.32/#post-1120

BantyRooster97

Country flag
I'm sure it's possible. I have about 1" of sand and quite a few rocks. I redo the rockwork in my tank while it was fallow, in anticipation of putting another achilles & tomini in before I add back my larger purple. I guess I could have stirred something up.

Looks like I'll be pulling the new fish out, putting them through QT & starting the clock over.

Crazy. I've had saltwater fish since the 90's and never had issues like this; and no QT at all back then.

BantyRooster97

Country flag
Its possible, it was only 6"x4" but wouldn't the nem eat it?

Sorry, I high jacked the thread, I'll start a new post.

Last edited: