Lynn's Fish Shed

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello Humble.Fish community!

I started my fish room thread on our local WAMAS group, but wanted to start one here also. I have been lurking around for a few weeks now and everyone seems super nice and Bobby has helped me so much after I had a recent velvet outbreak.

We recently moved to a new place because my last home didn't have the layout and room for my obsession. Yes ... that is why we moved :eek:. The husband was not thrill but he knows that this hobby has kept me sane for the past 4 years.

I definitely picked the wrong time to look for a home because the market was CRAZY! We lost out so many times and it didn't help that we are using VA loan. But we did fine a nice place thought there were a lot of work that is needed. This was the first look of the future fish shed:

A detached 2-car garage (19x22).

We spent the next few months insulating, drywall, flooring, and added a mini-split.

1653861784429.jpeg

1653861798928.jpeg

Quicklynx

Country flag
Hello Humble.Fish community!

I started my fish room thread on our local WAMAS group, but wanted to start one here also. I have been lurking around for a few weeks now and everyone seems super nice and Bobby has helped me so much after I had a recent velvet outbreak.

We recently moved to a new place because my last home didn't have the layout and room for my obsession. Yes ... that is why we moved :eek:. The husband was not thrill but he knows that this hobby has kept me sane for the past 4 years.

I definitely picked the wrong time to look for a home because the market was CRAZY! We lost out so many times and it didn't help that we are using VA loan. But we did fine a nice place thought there were a lot of work that is needed. This was the first look of the future fish shed:

A detached 2-car garage (19x22).

We spent the next few months insulating, drywall, flooring, and added a mini-split.

View attachment 69095

View attachment 69096

I was where you are 2-3 months ago! Worth it!

If you don't know what colors you want the Sherwin Williams Adriatic Sea paint ended up turning out really nice in my opinion! I did semi gloss because I wanted resistance to the caustic saltwater. Some things to consider is you'll need 3 to 4 coats of it, and if you're using a darker color, like I did, make sure to use a dark primer or a blue primer. Not white..... Ask me how I know 😀

PXL_20220518_175542288.jpg

lynn.reef.nerd

Country flag
I was where you are 2-3 months ago! Worth it!

If you don't know what colors you want the Sherwin Williams Adriatic Sea paint ended up turning out really nice in my opinion! I did semi gloss because I wanted resistance to the caustic saltwater. Some things to consider is you'll need 3 to 4 coats of it, and if you're using a darker color, like I did, make sure to use a dark primer or a blue primer. Not white..... Ask me how I know 😀

View attachment 69104
NICE! That's a really good looking dark color! Love the drain too. I wasn't able to add a drain because we were on a time crunch. I had to finish the shed because our old house sold so quick and we had to move the livestock into the new place. Lots I would have done differently if I had time :(

Very cool, Lynn. It's looking great! How are you going to keep it cool? Do you have AC in the shed?

lynn.reef.nerd

Country flag
Very cool, Lynn. It's looking great! How are you going to keep it cool? Do you have AC in the shed?
We were able to get a mini-split in the room. It actually works great for the area.
The only hiccup we had at first was the electrical. Had to get a buddy come out and redo the electrical to the shed in order to install the mini-split.

lynn.reef.nerd

Country flag
Unfortunately, the Fish Shed did not have a source of water and it became apparent that lugging buckets of water from the main house (~ 250 feet) to the shed was not the way to go.
We had to wait until the weather was decent enough to start digging. We ran a hose from the main house to the shed 3ft underground. It was a painfully slow process since we have no idea what was underneath (old home with work done without permits from before).
We dug slowly and check to make sure we did not hit any electrical or previous plumbing.

1654130150102.jpeg

We did find random sewage line that were super old and even an old septic tank.

1654130243468.jpeg

It took 4 days (2 weekends) for the project to complete and so many issues (too long to discuss) but it was done!
We have water!!!!
1654130335960.jpeg

1654130346172.jpeg

lynn.reef.nerd

Country flag
Mini split installed and we are rocking with all the necessary equipment in the Fish Shed!
We added a small dehumidifier to keep the room cooler. Currently at around 40-50% daily.
We added a hose to the back and have it drain directly to the sink so we don't have to empty it daily.

1654436902140.jpeg

The initial plan was to add a LARGE aquarium, but after finishing up the area, we were pretty broke :(
The hike in prices made the entire process 2x and sometimes 3x our initial estimate. Out of luck, a local hobbyist was selling his frag system with stand and I ended up buying them from him for a steal!

Took me a bit to try and plumb them together and the constant leak from the bulkhead made it super hard to seal. Because I was running out of time to move the fish from the old place over after we sold the home, I ended up puttying and/or gluing some items together to make it work. So the plumbing might have to get updated in the near future. For now it works :eek:

1654437117695.jpeg

Yup ... I need some help organizing :ROFLMAO:

I'm currently using a 100gal rubbermaid as a sump. Two running return pump and return line. One for the display tank and one for the frag system.
Not ideal but it works for the time being. I have a buddy who is giving me a nice sump that I am still trying to take the 2 hr drive (4 hour total round trip) to get.

1654437228365.jpeg

Quicklynx

Country flag
Mini split installed and we are rocking with all the necessary equipment in the Fish Shed!
We added a small dehumidifier to keep the room cooler. Currently at around 40-50% daily.
We added a hose to the back and have it drain directly to the sink so we don't have to empty it daily.

View attachment 69685

The initial plan was to add a LARGE aquarium, but after finishing up the area, we were pretty broke :(
The hike in prices made the entire process 2x and sometimes 3x our initial estimate. Out of luck, a local hobbyist was selling his frag system with stand and I ended up buying them from him for a steal!

Took me a bit to try and plumb them together and the constant leak from the bulkhead made it super hard to seal. Because I was running out of time to move the fish from the old place over after we sold the home, I ended up puttying and/or gluing some items together to make it work. So the plumbing might have to get updated in the near future. For now it works :eek:

View attachment 69686

Yup ... I need some help organizing :ROFLMAO:

I'm currently using a 100gal rubbermaid as a sump. Two running return pump and return line. One for the display tank and one for the frag system.
Not ideal but it works for the time being. I have a buddy who is giving me a nice sump that I am still trying to take the 2 hr drive (4 hour total round trip) to get.

View attachment 69687
Those 100g Rubbermaids mean so much to this hobby!

lynn.reef.nerd

Country flag
Right after the completion of setting up all the tanks and plumbing, I did order another batch of CUC and received/bought some corals from local hobbyist.

I was one of the lucky few that got hit by velvet 😭 by transmission from a CUC or a coral (no new fish added for more than 6 months). I did message Humble.Fish and explained the situation and described the behavior/look of the inhabitant. I did a freshwater dip to make sure it's not fluke. The conclusion is that it is most likely velvet.

The same day, my husband helped me set up a temporary QT system to house all of our fish from 6 different tanks. We attached two 50-gal rubbermaid tank together with a 1" pvc.
- 2 Air/bubble plate
- 2 gyre pumps for additional flow
- 2 100-watt heaters with inkbird control
- Tons of pvc for hiding
- several rocks from the main system for bio
- 2 ammonia badge

We had to break down all the rock structure to catch the fish. The goal was to get them into QT as soon as possible.
I had a Hanna Copper Test Kit and picked up Copper Power from the LFS.

Next few days I raised the copper to > 2.0 ppm. The first few weeks I did massive water changes (10-15 gals a day) to keep the ammonia down. Also added prime on a regular basis to help. It wasn't until day 20 or so did the ammonia stabilize a bit and I was only doing 5 gal water changes or so.

Unfortunately I lost 50% of the fish within the first week of treatment.
5 anthias
1 foxface
1 purple tang
2 bristle tooth
1 six line
1 madarin
3 clowns
1 goby (I might have forgotten a couple)

My prized copperbands and yellow tangs did make it through the 30 days of copper. Right now I am still waiting for the full 76 days to ensure the tanks are fallow.

1654813943129.png

Right after the completion of setting up all the tanks and plumbing, I did order another batch of CUC and received/bought some corals from local hobbyist.

I was one of the lucky few that got hit by velvet 😭 by transmission from a CUC or a coral (no new fish added for more than 6 months). I did message Humble.Fish and explained the situation and described the behavior/look of the inhabitant. I did a freshwater dip to make sure it's not fluke. The conclusion is that it is most likely velvet.

The same day, my husband helped me set up a temporary QT system to house all of our fish from 6 different tanks. We attached two 50-gal rubbermaid tank together with a 1" pvc.
- 2 Air/bubble plate
- Tons of pvc for hiding
- 2 ammonia badge

We had to break down all the rock structure to catch the fish. The goal was to get them into QT as soon as possible.

Next few days I raised the copper to > 2.0 ppm. The first few weeks I did massive water changes (10-15 gals a day) to keep the ammonia down. Also added prime on a regular basis to help. It wasn't until day 20 or so did the ammonia stabilize a bit and I was only doing 5 gal water changes or so.

5 anthias
1 foxface
1 purple tang
2 bristle tooth
1 six line
1 madarin
3 clowns

My prized copperbands and yellow tangs did make it through the 30 days of copper. Right now I am still waiting for the full 76 days to ensure the tanks are fallow.

View attachment 70065
I hope the rest make it Lynn!

- 2 Air/bubble plate
- Tons of pvc for hiding
- 2 ammonia badge

5 anthias
1 foxface
1 purple tang
2 bristle tooth
1 six line
1 madarin
3 clowns

View attachment 70065
So sorry. What a bummer.

Hey Lynn! First of all, what an AWESOME build! I saw in the CRB that you’re in the DMV as well. I’m just outside of Annapolis myself.

Im sorry to hear about the velvet. Fortunately, you’re in good hands. Our disease/QT experts are second to none

lynn.reef.nerd

Country flag
I'm sitting on Hart Miller Island right now.

Time for the infamous feet on the beach picture....

View attachment 70100
Lovely feet .... well pedicured :) I'm near Fort Smallwood Park. Do you head that way?

I hope the rest make it Lynn!
So sorry. What a bummer.
Thanks guys!

Holy Hanna @lynn.reef.nerd great setup. Again sorry for your issues but wowwie, looking amazing!
Thanks! Still lots to do :)

Hey Lynn! First of all, what an AWESOME build! I saw in the CRB that you’re in the DMV as well. I’m just outside of Annapolis myself.

Im sorry to hear about the velvet. Fortunately, you’re in good hands. Our disease/QT experts are second to none
Awesome to have more folks around the area! If you haven't looked at WAMAS, def go check out the local group. Some great people there.