Mag Foxface in qt not doing well

Kwall737

Country flag
So woke up this am to my Foxface laying sideways on the bottom of a piece of pvc in my qt. I could tell he was breathing, but not looking good. Turned the lights on and tried to get him up, but he wouldn’t move. Picked up the piece of pvc and he slid out, and was very lethargic and swimming sideways near the top of the water, and getting blown around by the powerhead. Noticed he hasn’t been eating much the last 4 or 5 days, and had what looked like a large wound on his side last night (a dark marking, almost like he got caught on the overflow of the tank). Been in qt for almost 2 weeks after i had to get all my fish outta the dt after my purple tang got ich. Yesterday was last day of dosing Metro following the treatment schedule using GC and Metro to deworm and treat against brook (which unfortunately got one of my clowns in the same qt tank as well). Was going to do a large water change today and slowly ramp up copper for 30 day treatment next. Any help saving this guy would be greatly appreciated!
5DEAB3AB-6D1A-4BA7-964E-7598DB5B3D94.jpeg
B24113E5-ECC4-46F0-9C18-82D8B1F296C5.jpeg

Attachments

• 6E206B6D-4117-4832-8D4E-0EEA486F7CD8.jpeg
    6E206B6D-4117-4832-8D4E-0EEA486F7CD8.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 11

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Country flag
Have you tested for ammonia recently? Also, can I see a closeup pic of the large wound?

I would probably get him out of QT and into a MB bath ASAP:

Kwall737

Country flag
Have you tested for ammonia recently? Also, can I see a closeup pic of the large wound?

I would probably get him out of QT and into a MB bath ASAP:
Ammonia looks fine, and weird thing is the wound we saw last night is gone. He’s got this small spot though above his bottom fin, and is looking really thin ... that’s a new development
9221EBCA-95AD-42ED-85D1-38523C94BFF8.jpeg

Attachments

• 2C34EE77-A6F9-4FDB-BC26-718AF0005666.jpeg
    2C34EE77-A6F9-4FDB-BC26-718AF0005666.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 594B9DF1-F4C4-4E91-A993-28D63F8EEEC3.jpeg
    594B9DF1-F4C4-4E91-A993-28D63F8EEEC3.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 13

Kwall737

Country flag
If he's weak, it's possible he got caught in the pump intake. That can leave a mark.

About the skinniness, have you ever seen white stringy poop come out of him??
I have not seen it come out of him, but the clown that i had him in qt with had stringy poo for a bit in the dt and fed them food mixed with gc for a week or so to start, didn’t see it again. Just tried to feed him now, and he’s not interested... just hanging by that powerhead

Jessican

Sheriff
Country flag
I haven’t been because he was eating just fine (and feed a mixed variety of frozen foods with vita chem and beta glucan). Was going to start trying nori
The reason I asked is because my understanding is that foxfaces need algae to thrive, so I wonder if that’s contributing to his weight loss. Hopefully he’ll perk up a bit if he has some nori to nibble.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Country flag
He could have gotten intestinal worms or internal flagellates from the clownfish. Normally roughage keeps these flushed out of herbivores, but if you haven't been feeding nori and he has no access to algae to graze on….

While you're performing the MB bath, I would do a large WC in the QT to pull any residuals from the medication(s) out of the water. I would just focus on getting him to eat again right now.

Kwall737

Country flag
He could have gotten intestinal worms or internal flagellates from the clownfish. Normally roughage keeps these flushed out of herbivores, but if you haven't been feeding nori and he has no access to algae to graze on….

While you're performing the MB bath, I would do a large WC in the QT to pull any residuals from the medication(s) out of the water. I would just focus on getting him to eat again right now.
Sounds good, I’m heading to lfs to get MB right now, then will get him in once i get home. Tank is 13.5 and been doing weekly 5 gal water changes to keep up with ammonia control - will the 5 gal be big enough? Will start feeding him nori sheets too once he’s back in

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Country flag
Sounds good, I’m heading to lfs to get MB right now, then will get him in once i get home. Tank is 13.5 and been doing weekly 5 gal water changes to keep up with ammonia control - will the 5 gal be big enough? Will start feeding him nori sheets too once he’s back in

Yes, a 5 gallon water change will work fine. :Thumbs_up_green:

Kwall737

Country flag
Soooooo checked with my 3 lfs as well as Petco and Petsmart, and unfortunately none had MB. Are there any other dips or treatments i could use for him until i can get some MB off of Amazon?

phatduckk

Country flag