Matt’s IM 100 ext

Users who are viewing this thread

Country flag
So bored at work figured I’d get this started before some new disaster hits me

E3D88C6B-37BF-4E97-875B-287838BE2B90.jpeg

and I guess noteworthy my old tank was a SCA 50 gallon cube, also my first reef tank. It would’ve been 2 years old this July, but a nice termite fumigation hastened it’s departure.
37162FDE-5AAA-4770-B6B6-447F3F265090.jpeg

6C04A5EF-413E-46A8-99A9-FB41E5FA7B3E.jpeg

7650C9AC-19B5-48C6-82A3-AC9E5697E1D9.jpeg

38E67583-EF6F-4534-8D4D-F9B3C766CF2C.jpeg

I liked my tank, but aptasia was definitely an issue that wouldn’t go away. My plan for that with the bigger tank is butterflyfish, hopefully semi reef safe ones. But the next tank will also mostly be sps so I can probably play with fire a bit

fish list as of 6/9

flame angel centropyge loricula
multicolor angel centropyge multicolor
copperband butterflyfish chelmon rostratus
schooling bannerfish heniochus diphreutes
bicolor or fiji foxface siganus uspi
2x ORA ocellaris clownfish amphiprion ocellaris
midas blenny escenius midas
yellowhead jawfish opistonagthus aurifrons
red line wrasse halichoeres biocellatus
flame fairy wrasse cirrhilabrus jordani
hooded fairy wrasse cirrhilabrus bathyphilus
orangeback fairy wrasse cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis
blue star leopard wrasse macropharygondon bipartus
2x sunset anthias psuedanthias parvirostris
sunburst anthias serranocirrhitus latus
black cap basslet gramma melacara
blue assessor assessor macneilli
skunk tilefish hoplolatius marcosi
sharknose goby elacatinus evelynae

coral list

jf grafted monti cap
ora frogskin
ff red robin
bubblegum digi
maricultured green milli on orangeish base
wwc yellowtip
oregon tort
asd phoenix monti
asd rising phoenix monti
rainbow monti
green slimer
ora hawkins echinata
ora joe the coral
rainbow granulosa
pc rainbow
ora red planet
mystic sunset monti
greenish encrusting monti
jf beach bum monti
tubbs stellata monti
cb purple planet
vivid rainbow delight
purple stylo
maricultured green purple tipped acro
rr aussie gold
jf jack o lantern lepto
greenish purple stag thing from cultivated reef
Ora rose milli
rouge milli
pink cadillac
jkr rainbow
blueberry monti
anacropora green branchy
wwc slimeball anacropora
Heaven and hell milli
Sunset milli
Jf fox flame
Katrapora
Blueberry granulosa
Ora German blue polyp digi
Pink birdsnest
Aussie green highlighter
Aussie purple thin branching

Last edited:

mattzang

Country flag
Sump is a used pro clear 400 or 300 or something to that effect

D447B9E9-9FEA-4F77-AF0D-1A050A848498.jpeg

308834EF-2ECB-417D-BA85-7A2556185C76.jpeg

9E79B029-DFCD-4833-89AD-9DAE6B264EEB.jpeg

One issue I’ve found so far is there’s supposed to be a water level gate thingy in the fuge area to control water level, but it’s casually Mia. I forget what I measured but without it the water will just run right over the fuge at about 5” I think. And the skimmer I have apparently runs best at 8” so.. gotta figure that out

skimmer is an aquamaxx cone co-2. I actually had an aquamaxx fc80 skimmer on my first tank and didn’t really like it so we’ll see lol. I only paid $120 for a barely used one so gonna give it a whirl.

other equipment so far is a reef octopus octopulse 4 which is probably massively overrated for my tank size, but mixes salt nicely so far.

Lastly my return pump is a simplicity 2100 dc. I had the simplicity 1600 dc on my last tank and it worked great. Apparently they’re just rebranded jebaos, but it worked well so going with it again

oh and lighting is going to be 2x reefi duo extremes. Maybe a 3rd down the road if stuff grows really well which I don’t expect.
C8713B42-DBAC-4ADF-8287-AE9EDB76206A.jpeg

Last edited:

mattzang

Country flag
fish list so far, currently, before i kill something:

2 ocellaris standard clowns. these poor *******s, they laid eggs for the first time about a week before I had to break the tank down
2 kamohara blennies
1 midas blenny
1 neon goby
1 flame angel
1 orchid dottyback
1 springer damsel
1 azure damsel
1 red line wrasse halichoeres biocellatus
1 yellow canary wrasse halichoeres crysus
1 bangaii cardinal

all of those were either disease free in my prior DT or QTed so I feel comfortable putting them all in the new tank.

I then have
1 orangeback fairy wrasse cirrhilbarus aurantidorsalis
1 moyers wrasse macropharygondon moyeri

those two were in my observation tank when some unknown disease struck and killed my lemon butterfly, mega bummer. so I was afraid to copper them and opted the h2o2 route into sterile tank where they have both been for a month or two. I'm really torn on what to do with them. They look fine, but adding them to my fish without further treatment is scary. But I'm also heading to Yellowstone for a little over a week later this month and asking someone to maintain 3 tanks (feeding and topping off) is a bit much. So somehow they're going into my 40 breeder observation tank or main DT.

invert wise:

1 black brittlestar. sometimes I forget he's in there, but he just chugs along and pokes a leg out from time to time.
1 fire shrimp
1 peppermint shrimp
a few small hermits
and quite a few trochus snails that I haven't replenished in a year or so.

mattzang

Country flag
35D3AF50-76BC-4826-A690-53A8581CECAA.jpeg
B01F277B-46B4-4B54-9D89-2FF8A33C5BBD.jpeg

First frag died I think it was last dragon, greenish one is pc rainbow or so I’m told, Forest fire digi and then a green pink tip birds nest with some zoas in the background

B2EFEBCB-35F0-4533-9C04-3526E37F6B26.jpeg

Toadstool and some blastos

CC7B2E5F-88A3-4CA0-AB0A-348B2309E38B.jpeg

Ora frag plugs don’t fit my frag rack, had to glue to a standard plug

17ED1D9B-3A36-40A2-ABE7-A51ACF2C2C16.jpeg

Random Millie and whatever that is in the front were both by far my most successful acros. They pic is actually fairly old and before I took the tank down the Millie was popping up with branches all over the place

M

mikeintoronto

fish list so far, currently, before i kill something:

2 ocellaris standard clowns. these poor *******s, they laid eggs for the first time about a week before I had to break the tank down
2 kamohara blennies
1 midas blenny
1 neon goby
1 flame angel
1 orchid dottyback
1 springer damsel
1 azure damsel
1 red line wrasse halichoeres biocellatus
1 yellow canary wrasse halichoeres crysus
1 bangaii cardinal
No anthias? Unfollowed!

DexterB

Country flag
Very nice male flame angel! Really like the wrasse selection too. I hardly ever see orange back wrasse but I love their coloration.

mattzang

Country flag
Thanks!

I did have a solo lyretail anthias for awhile but idk what happened to her she just kinda became lethargic and stopped eating. She got Popeye and I Qted her and it went away, but she was never right and withered away. Definitely getting some anthias, but not sure what kind yet. I really liked my lyretail though, so maybe 3-5 of those. I also really like bicolors.. and the smaller ones, but the uronema thing with them scares me. I want to get a sunburst anthias too and I think I'd rather toss that in early before I try a school of the meaner anthias

Wrasse wise it has kinda been what my lfs just has in other than the biocellatus. That one I sought out. The others just happened to be there and for a good price lol. I was gonna go with the solorensis instead of the orangeback, but the orangeback is quite stunning in person. Plus they're supposed to be a lot more relaxed than the solon is. I'm really happy with all of them, though. The moyeri is especially cute

mattzang

Country flag
What’s this thing called? I have one but I call it ‘green fluffy coral’.

lol idk that's why I didn't say what it was. brain coral or something? after picking it up the other day I can say it's super slimy

I'm kinda torn on that one. I should probably try to sell it as I'm fairly sure angels/butterflies will mow that thing down. But it is pretty cool..

M

mikeintoronto

lol idk that's why I didn't say what it was. brain coral or something? after picking it up the other day I can say it's super slimy

I'm kinda torn on that one. I should probably try to sell it as I'm fairly sure angels/butterflies will mow that thing down. But it is pretty cool..
Yeah in my tank build thread I mentioned that my butterflies LOVED munching it. I had to move it out. I wasn’t really fond of the coral when I got it (or was given it) but it’s grown on me. Mine is really big now, close to a foot, but it started maybe palm sized.
I’m pretty sure your butterfly will sample all of your LPS, though, whether it’s this one or the others.

mattzang

Country flag
yeah i'm hoping what lps i do have will be left mostly alone, but never know.

based on that and a lot of other anecdotal reports, seems euphyllia is lower on the list for fish to eat, but still totally possible. I'm gonna sell or give away zoas and that just leaves the pectinia, sympodium (i think that's actually a soft coral) and blastos. i do like my blastos.. those don't seem to make the same lists acans do, but they look like they'd be tempting. but i also have to decide i'm ok with not having certain corals if i want certain fish, so we'll see.

M

mikeintoronto

I found that the coral eaters really liked the acans (or blastos, I don’t know the difference). Both my bannerfish and Filefish took a liking to those.

mattzang

Country flag
I found that the coral eaters really liked the acans (or blastos, I don’t know the difference). Both my bannerfish and Filefish took a liking to those.

what kind of bannerfish was it?

my list of possible butterflies is basically:

heniochus diphreutes
yellow longnose
lemon butterfly
burgess
declivus
copperband
pyramid

i'm thinking the planktivores are probably so reef safe they won't even eat aptasia, so can't just get all of those. i'm pretty sure my prior lemon mowed down an aptasia. and i'm not sure yellow longnose are big aptasia eaters

scubabeth

Country flag
Yeah in my tank build thread I mentioned that my butterflies LOVED munching it. I had to move it out. I wasn’t really fond of the coral when I got it (or was given it) but it’s grown on me. Mine is really big now, close to a foot, but it started maybe palm sized.
I’m pretty sure your butterfly will sample all of your LPS, though, whether it’s this one or the others.
:LOL: I caught that reference, too, when I read your "fluffy green coral comment." I didn't know yours was so big, though!! Wow!